Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers copying less output with putty Post 302486201 by Corona688 on Friday 7th of January 2011 10:30:39 AM
Old 01-07-2011
agreed, an interactive graphical terminal plus copy-paste really aren't the right tools for transferring large amounts of data. It's awkward no matter how you cut it.

you could also use PUTTY's plink utility to run a remote command and redirect its output into a local file, getting rid of the middleman of a temp file on the server. plink connects just like putty but purely commandline, letting you do things like redirection on it. You should be able to use it like this (from windows cmd prompt):

Code:
c:\users\useryname> plink -batch -pw password user@host remotecommand parameter ... > logfile.txt
c:\users\useryname>

Last edited by Corona688; 01-07-2011 at 11:55 AM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

PuTTY 0.59

On my opinion, one of the best ssh/telnet clients for windows, putty released a new version: Get it here, PuTTY 0.59 - PuTTY can now connect to local serial ports as well as making network connections. - Improved speed of SSH, particularly SSH-2 key exchange and public-key authentication -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pressy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putty

i am connecting to a unix-application using putty (xp). sometime, it is as if the putty is sending a form-feed char, because i am getting a blank screen, and by back scrolling i see the previous screen with all the related data. if i am using the xp-telnet, i get the screen/data correctly. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mifa-system
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putty script

i was having problem on unix command.here's my script set server_exe="C:\filecopy\putty.exe" %server_exe% sgxaspecs3@sporc01 -pw pit54321 -b c:\filecopy\file_sporc01putfiles2.txt echo "file uploaded to SFTP Server" pause ok the thing is like this, i could login to putty by running this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dannyd_y
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying the output of a shell to another

How do you copy the output of a shell to another? I went to, for example, copy the output of shell a to shell b. Do you use cp or what? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: #moveon
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help for PuTTy.

I'm using PuTTY to establish a SSH connection to a remote UNIX machine. I need to fetch a file from the remote system into my local Windows system. Is it possible? If yes, how can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agnivaccent
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Putty Command

Hi, I am trying to update my site using putty. My server is in linux. I found few commands that help me to access and do few stuffs in the server. Please add additional command. ls - to list files in a directory: cd - change directory (navigate to some directory): cp - copy a file: mv - move... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khadkabirendra
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding the logs on putty

Hi Folks, I have an application and I connect to unix box through putty , sometimes I Have to check the logs and for that I reached to particular directory and write tail -f abc.log Is there any better command so that these logs are dynamically go on increasing while I work on my application... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KAREENA18
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding PUTTY

Hello Forum members There is no any time parameter on putty so how can I stay my putty ssh session always Alive? So please reply to my querry. I am looking forward from Forum. Advance Thanks Siva. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: workforsiva
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting command output to putty window title.

Hi, Last 2 weeks I have searched many forums and i haven't found the answer for the question: How to get all command output to Putty title? Needed it for other programs to know when some jobs on a server is done and is it done right or wrong. Plink stdout and stdin wasn't working, i used many... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: domagaj
1 Replies

10. SCO

Sco 3.2 and PuTTY

Is there anyway to the function keys to work on PuTTY when remoting into a SCO 3.2 server? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveo314
8 Replies
MSGEN(1)								GNU								  MSGEN(1)

NAME
msgen - create English message catalog SYNOPSIS
msgen [OPTION] INPUTFILE DESCRIPTION
Creates an English translation catalog. The input file is the last created English PO file, or a PO Template file (generally created by xgettext). Untranslated entries are assigned a translation that is identical to the msgid, and are marked fuzzy. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. Input file location: INPUTFILE input PO or POT file -D, --directory=DIRECTORY add DIRECTORY to list for input files search If input file is -, standard input is read. Output file location: -o, --output-file=FILE write output to specified file The results are written to standard output if no output file is specified or if it is -. Output details: -e, --no-escape do not use C escapes in output (default) -E, --escape use C escapes in output, no extended chars --force-po write PO file even if empty -i, --indent indented output style --no-location suppress '#: filename:line' lines --add-location preserve '#: filename:line' lines (default) --strict strict Uniforum output style -w, --width=NUMBER set output page width --no-wrap do not break long message lines, longer than the output page width, into several lines -s, --sort-output generate sorted output -F, --sort-by-file sort output by file location Informative output: -h, --help display this help and exit -V, --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Bruno Haible. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-gettext@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001-2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for msgen is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and msgen programs are properly installed at your site, the command info msgen should give you access to the complete manual. GNU gettext 0.11.4 July 2002 MSGEN(1)