Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers copying less output with putty Post 302486201 by Corona688 on Friday 7th of January 2011 10:30:39 AM
Old 01-07-2011
agreed, an interactive graphical terminal plus copy-paste really aren't the right tools for transferring large amounts of data. It's awkward no matter how you cut it.

you could also use PUTTY's plink utility to run a remote command and redirect its output into a local file, getting rid of the middleman of a temp file on the server. plink connects just like putty but purely commandline, letting you do things like redirection on it. You should be able to use it like this (from windows cmd prompt):

Code:
c:\users\useryname> plink -batch -pw password user@host remotecommand parameter ... > logfile.txt
c:\users\useryname>

Last edited by Corona688; 01-07-2011 at 11:55 AM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

PuTTY 0.59

On my opinion, one of the best ssh/telnet clients for windows, putty released a new version: Get it here, PuTTY 0.59 - PuTTY can now connect to local serial ports as well as making network connections. - Improved speed of SSH, particularly SSH-2 key exchange and public-key authentication -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pressy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putty

i am connecting to a unix-application using putty (xp). sometime, it is as if the putty is sending a form-feed char, because i am getting a blank screen, and by back scrolling i see the previous screen with all the related data. if i am using the xp-telnet, i get the screen/data correctly. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mifa-system
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putty script

i was having problem on unix command.here's my script set server_exe="C:\filecopy\putty.exe" %server_exe% sgxaspecs3@sporc01 -pw pit54321 -b c:\filecopy\file_sporc01putfiles2.txt echo "file uploaded to SFTP Server" pause ok the thing is like this, i could login to putty by running this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dannyd_y
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying the output of a shell to another

How do you copy the output of a shell to another? I went to, for example, copy the output of shell a to shell b. Do you use cp or what? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: #moveon
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help for PuTTy.

I'm using PuTTY to establish a SSH connection to a remote UNIX machine. I need to fetch a file from the remote system into my local Windows system. Is it possible? If yes, how can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agnivaccent
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Putty Command

Hi, I am trying to update my site using putty. My server is in linux. I found few commands that help me to access and do few stuffs in the server. Please add additional command. ls - to list files in a directory: cd - change directory (navigate to some directory): cp - copy a file: mv - move... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khadkabirendra
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding the logs on putty

Hi Folks, I have an application and I connect to unix box through putty , sometimes I Have to check the logs and for that I reached to particular directory and write tail -f abc.log Is there any better command so that these logs are dynamically go on increasing while I work on my application... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KAREENA18
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding PUTTY

Hello Forum members There is no any time parameter on putty so how can I stay my putty ssh session always Alive? So please reply to my querry. I am looking forward from Forum. Advance Thanks Siva. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: workforsiva
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting command output to putty window title.

Hi, Last 2 weeks I have searched many forums and i haven't found the answer for the question: How to get all command output to Putty title? Needed it for other programs to know when some jobs on a server is done and is it done right or wrong. Plink stdout and stdin wasn't working, i used many... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: domagaj
1 Replies

10. SCO

Sco 3.2 and PuTTY

Is there anyway to the function keys to work on PuTTY when remoting into a SCO 3.2 server? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveo314
8 Replies
rsh(1c) 																   rsh(1c)

Name
       rsh - remote shell

Syntax
       rsh host [-l username] [-n] command
       host [-l username] [-n] command

Description
       The  command  connects to the specified host, and executes the specified command.  The command copies its standard input to the remote com-
       mand, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error.
       Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command.  The command normally terminates when the remote command does.

The  remote  username  used is the same as your local username, unless you specify a different remote name with the -l option.  This remote
       name must be equivalent, in the sense of to the originating account.  No provision is made for specifying a password with a command.

If you omit command, then instead of executing a single command, you are logged in on the remote host using

Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted  metacharacters  are  interpreted  on  the  remote
       machine.  Thus the command

rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile

appends the remote file remotefile to the localfile localfile, while

rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" otherremotefile

appends remotefile to otherremotefile.

Host  names are given in the file Each host has one standard name (the first name given in the file), which is rather long and unambiguous,
       and optionally one or more nicknames.  The host names for local machines are also commands in the directory If you put  this  directory	in
       your search path then the can be omitted.

Options
       -l username	   Logs you in as the specified user, not as your user login name.

-n		   Redirects all command input to

Restrictions
       The  command  is  confused by output generated by commands in a .cshrc file on the remote host.	In particular, `where are you?' and `stty:
       Can't assign requested address' are messages which can result if output is generated by the startup file.

If you are using and put a in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it blocks even if no reads are posted by
       the remote command.  If no input is desired you should redirect the input of to using the -n option.

You cannot run an interactive command like Use

Stop signals stop the local process only.

Files
       /etc/hosts
       /usr/hosts/*

See Also
       rlogin(1c)

rsh(1c)