Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Reinstall virtual I/O Server & LCD code 0518 Post 302485836 by brillmon on Thursday 6th of January 2011 09:32:56 AM
Old 01-06-2011
When you say you installed the VIO server software as well as AIX 6.1 do you mean you installed both on the same LPAR?

>> I guess that I must have done that.

If so it is no wonder you wiped out the VIO installation as they are both seperate entities! Had you intended to do an alt-disk-install? Not that I am sure that is possible with this configuration!

>> I meant to install aix on top or inside of the vios as an lpar. I am new to VIOS.

As far as your error is concerned here a definition of the LED error code:

518 Remote mount of the root and /usr file systems failed during network boot.

Have you checked the configuration of the LPAR in SMS? It appears you have no ROOTVG!

>> How can/should I check the configuration of the LPAR in SMS?
I guess what I really want to do is get to a console in AIX and wipe out anything to do with AIX so I can start from scratch and reinstall the VIOS once again. That is all I am trying to do at this point to move forward.

Any suggestions on this?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

BootingTrouble:0518 /var MNT failed

Hi I am having and issue with my AIX box when i boot it up i get the following error 0518 /var MNT failed Is their anything i can do...? Thanks Liam (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lodonovan
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

sharing of IP address for load sharing avoiding virtual server & redirection machine

I have RedHat 9.0 installed on three of my servers (PIII - 233MHz) and want that they share a common IP address so that any request made reaches each of the servers. Can anyone suggest how should I setup my LAN. I'm new to networking in Linux so please elaborate and would be thankful for a timely... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Application & Virtual hosts in Apache

Folks; I need help knowing how to add an application to existing Virtual host on Apache. here's the details: I have a virtual host file (Based on IP address) for Apache and is configured to run application inside it. How can i add another application to the same virtual host based on the same IP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
0 Replies

4. Linux

VMware ESX server && Solaris 10 on same PC ??

Hi all, I tried to install Solaris 10 and then VMware ESX server v3.02 on the same PC (or hard drive). But after successfully installing Solaris 10, when I installed Vmware ESX Server on the same drive(but on different partition, boot menu is not coming. It is just booting Vmware only. Pls... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikas027
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virtual Server Which One?

Hi, Imagine I'm using SSH or TELNET to connect to one of my clustered database servers. I log in using a virtual server name not knowing which one of my two database servers i will connect to. Now the question: If all I have is the virtual server name e.g. SSH DavoH@gb1234QVD011Px7 and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DavoH
1 Replies

6. AIX

VIOS LPAR Error 0518

I am trying to install AIX 5.3 on one of the LPARs through VIOS but I get this error 0518 Reference Code Selection 0518 (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:20 AM UTC) Starting kernel (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:15 AM UTC) AIX is starting. (Time stamp: 12/18/12 12:10:15 AM... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Server is virtual or physical?

Hi All, How can I know whether the server I am connecting to is a virtual or physical one? The server might be having any Unix OS (Linux/Solaris/HP-UX etc.). Is there any system files / commands which can show these concrete information? Thanks in advance for the replies. sanzee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

CPU high - apache real server OK, virtual server not

Got two RHEL servers - one real and one virtual/cloud. Both run apache web server. When traffic is applied, CPU seems to go quite high on virtual one (20%) but real is not really affected. Worry is that a further increase in traffic will see a problem. Experience of RHEL is limited. Whats... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
2 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Load Balancing - LB Server & BackEnd1 & BackEnd2

Hello, What I wish to succeed is to setup loadbalancing between two dedicated servers. Here is my case: ======================================================================================================= LB IP (Just an IP address): Provided by hosting company (11.22.33.44) Hosting company... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baris35
1 Replies
re-preinstall(1M)					  System Administration Commands					 re-preinstall(1M)

NAME
re-preinstall - installs the JumpStart software on a system SYNOPSIS
cdrom-mnt-pt/Solaris_XX/Tools/Boot/usr/sbin/install.d/re-preinstall [-m Solaris_boot_dir] [-k platform_name] target-slice DESCRIPTION
re-preinstall installs the JumpStart software (preinstall boot image) on a system, so you can power-on the system and have it automatically install the Solaris software (perform a JumpStart installation on the system). When you turn on a re-preinstalled system, the system looks for the JumpStart software on the system's default boot disk. All new SPARC systems have the JumpStart software already preinstalled. The XX in Solaris_XX is the version number of the Solaris release being used. You can use the re-preinstall command in several ways. The most common way is to run re-preinstall on a system to install the JumpStart software on its own default boot disk. This is useful if you want to restore a system to its original factory conditions. (See the first procedure described in EXAMPLES.) You can also run re-preinstall on a system to install JumpStart software on any attached disk (non-boot disk). After you install the Jump- Start software on a disk, you can move the disk to a different system and perform a JumpStart installation on the different system. (See the second procedure described in EXAMPLES.) re-preinstall creates a standard file system on the specified target-slice (usually slice 0), and re-preinstall makes sure there is enough space on the target-slice for the JumpStart software. If sufficient space is not available, re-preinstall fails with the following message: re-preinstall: target-slice too small xx Megabytes required You can use the format(1M) command to create sufficient space on the target-slice for the JumpStart software. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -k platform_name Platform name of the system that will use the disk with the JumpStart software. The default is the platform name of the system running re-preinstall. (Use the uname(1) command (-i option) to determine a system's platform name.) -m Solaris_boot_dir Absolute path to the Solaris_XX/Tools/Boot subdirectory of a mounted Solaris CD or a Solaris CD copied to disk that re-preinstall uses to install the JumpStart software. The default is root (/), which is where the Solaris CD is mounted in single-user mode. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: target-slice Device name of the disk slice where the JumpStart software will be installed (usually slice 0), for example, c0t3d0s0. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Installing the JumpStart Software on a System's Own Default Boot Disk The following procedure installs the JumpStart software on a system's own default boot disk: 1. From the ok prompt, boot the system from the Solaris media CD or DVD in single-user mode: ok boot cdrom -s 2. The following command installs the Jumpstart software on the System default boot disk, c0t0d0s0 on a Solaris 9 system: example# /usr/sbin/install.d/re-preinstall c0t0d0s1 3. Reboot the slice: example# reboot disk:b Example 2: Installing the JumpStart Software on a System's Attached (non-boot) Disk The following procedure installs the JumpStart software on a system's attached (non-boot) disk: 1. Mount the Solaris CD or DVD if vold(1M) is not running or CD or DVD is not mounted. 2. Use the format(1M) command to determine the target-slice where JumpStart will be installed. 3. Use the uname(1) command (-i option) to determine the platform name of the system that will use the re-preinstalled disk 4. Run re-preinstall with the -m Solaris_boot_dir option if the Solaris CD or DVD is not mounted on /cdrom. The following command installs the JumpStart software on the system's attached disk for a system with a Sun4u kernel architecture, and it uses the Solaris CD or DVD mounted with vold(1M) on a Solaris 9 system: example# /cdrom/cdrom/s1/usr/bin/install.d/re-preinstall -m /cdrom/cdrom/s1 -k sun4u c0t2d0s0 EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris CD, | | |SPARC Platform Edition) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
uname(1), eeprom(1M), format(1M), mount(1M), vold(1M), attributes(5) Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations SunOS 5.10 9 Apr 2002 re-preinstall(1M)