Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting populate specified value in csv Post 302485525 by john_prince on Wednesday 5th of January 2011 12:25:24 PM
Old 01-05-2011
Code:
Input File : 

mail1@abc.com,xyz,abc,,33938,,United States
mail2@abc.com,xxx,aaa,,33939,,United States

Output File:

mail1@abc.com,xyz,abc,DTP,33938,DSS,United States
mail2@abc.com,xxx,aaa,DTP,33939,DSS,United States

Thanks !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using the getline to populate an array from a file

Hello, I am trying to use the awk getline command to populate an array from a flat file. Has anyone done this before? So we have file1: a b c d I want to create an array like index that contains these four elements (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: penfold
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

populate variable from remote result

Hi there i am trying to pass the result of a remote command into a variable into my script ie #!/bin/sh var = `ssh remote_box 'uname'` echo $var but all i get back is ./script.sh: var: not found However when i add a -x to put it into diag mode i get the following + ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

populate PERL Hash

Hello I am new to perl and learning ...can you please explain why am i getting this error...as myHash is defined right above the code and I think it should be avilable in the sub function. Here is my code: <code> #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use strict; %myHash=(); sub... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uandme2k2
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP populate variable with function

Hi, I've a php scirpt that calls in an external class. The external class, myClass, has several public and private functions. There is one public function which derives a value that I want be able to bring it to the main php scirpt. Here is the code. ....snip.... include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

populate a bash variable from an awk operation

Hi, I'm trying to populate bash script variable, data_size with the size of the largest file in my current directory data_size=$(ls -lS | grep -v "total" | head -1) | awk '{ print $5 }' I've tried adding an echo before the call to awk data_size=$(ls -l | grep -v "total" | head -1) |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark_s_g
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using eval to populate an array in the background

Hi. I am trying to populate an array using eval in the background within a function. So this function will create a list of 3 character directories from SVN and store in an array. I want to call this function when the script starts in the background unknown to the user. The problem is that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmiaebrown
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create files from a list and then populate them

I have a list of filenames that I want created - they must be created via a certain naming convention due to the software I'm using. Once they are created I have another file that will be used to populate them with data. So far this is what I have: #For each line in text file "foo_txt" create... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to populate an array from a csv file

Hi Guys, I've got a script that runs and collects statistics from one of our machines and outputs the data into a csv file. Now, that script runs fine and I managed to create another one (with a lot of help from this forum!!) to trim the csv file down to all the data that I need, rather than all... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbob01
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Populate Column Value Using AWK

Hi All, I am trying to find out awk one liner for the following requirement but failed in doing that. I have two files. Content of first file: file1.txt SUCCESS A file2.txt SUCCESS B file3.txt SUCCESS A file4.txt FAIL ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Script to populate (2) values in .XML

Good Afternoon Team - I"m asking for assistance on a piece of code to populate two values in an XML file. I have it working perfectly using CScript for DOS, but I have a need to do that same process in a Linux environment. Here is the XML I need to modify: <?xml version="1.0"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
5 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)