Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: QEMU not booting my image
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory QEMU not booting my image Post 302485247 by Corona688 on Tuesday 4th of January 2011 05:05:58 PM
Old 01-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by neur0n
Hey I never refused I said I'd appreciate it
I meant the basic grub image that couldn't contain files. Right now we don't even know if you're running qemu correctly Smilie

I'm uploading an image maker thing.

---------- Post updated at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:55 PM ----------

http://burningsmell.org/mkisoboot.tar.gz

You have to extract it as root since it contains device files, so be careful not to extract it anywhere insane. tar -zxf ./mkisoboot.tar.gz

Once extracted you can just run ./mkisoboot.sh (this does not need to be done as root) and it will go through all the steps of turning the stuff in initramfs/ into linux's root ramdisk, then everything in cdimage/ into boot.iso, which I burned and booted on my end. It boots memtest86 by default, but if you enter 'linux' instead it will boot to the ramdisk.

It contains the following stuff:

Code:
cdimage/
        stuff that will appear in the raw CD image -- all bootloader stuff.

cdimage/isolinux/
        dump kernels, initrds, menus, etc. into here, so isolinux can find them.

cdimage/isolinux/vmlinuz
        A 32-bit x86 linux kernel copied from one of my systems.  It probably
        runs better on AMD than Intel, substitute with one of your choice.

cdimage/isolinux/memtest86
        just another example kernel.

initramfs/
        stuff that will appear in root when Linux boots.  Dump your own stuff
        in here.  Replace initramfs/init with a script of your choosing to make it
        boot your init script instead of mine.

I put busybox, nano, and bash in it, all compiled to run safely on
        most 32-bit processors.  I didn't put anything kernel-specific
        in it, so it shouldn't puke when you replace vmlinuz with a kernel
        better suited to you.

mkisoboot.sh
        turns initramfs/ into cdimage/isolinux/init.gz, then turns cdimage/ into
        boot.iso.

clean.sh
        removes boot.iso and cdimage/isolinux/init.gz

Last edited by Corona688; 01-04-2011 at 06:11 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Create an Ignite image on tape from Online IgniteUX image

Hi, (HP-UX 11.11) I need to create a tape image of an igniteUX image created on our igniteUX server. That is to say. I have a "Online" image of the igniteUX of the targeted system but I now need to copy it to a useable TAPE (igniteUX) image so i can build an other server from it that is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrek
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Anyone ever used qemu and networked it ?

hi i got a virtual linux machine running on qemu my problem is connecting it to the internet im a bit confused weather i have to make a virtual network card in qemu and than tun tap it? can anyone thats done it before help me out? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: russian460
1 Replies

3. Programming

Qemu + gdb

Hi, I got: host machine: RedHat (RHEL6) virtual machine: RedHat (RHEL6) I run (on host machine): qemu-system-x86_64 ...... -S -s after that i run (on host machine): gdb target remote localhost:1234 set architecture i386:x86-64 and then i can use (on host machine) 'ctrl + c' to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chrisdot
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Dual Booting - Solaris image CD doesn't read in BIOS

I am trying to install solaris 10-x86 as second OS on top of Windows XP. I have downloaded iso image from Oracle website and burned into bootable cd. when I loaded into CD-drive and made changes in BIOS to boot from CD. Its not reading from CD drive. After restarting the system with CD(solaris... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SunSolars_admin
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching image files to create one image

Hi, I have two sets of image files. Both sets have names A to Z but set 1 ends with .cdt.png and set 2 ends with .matrix.png. I want set 1 to match with set 2 if the names match (i.e. A.cdt.png will match with A.matrix.png) and with the convert image tool (program for images), it will merge the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
6 Replies

6. IP Networking

Create a Bridge for Qemu using only loopback

hello networking folks, i have 3 virtual machines that need to talk to each other How can i create a bridge to loopback ? -net tap,vlan=0,ifname=tap1 where tap1 is connected to lo:1 , tap2 is connected to lo:2 etc thx (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TwiceDone
0 Replies

7. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

QEMU performance?

Heyas So, i like doing custom a LiveImage of my OS. Using Redhats kickstart/livecd-creator method. Anyway, so i would like to test the liveimages... AND also, i WOULD like to install FreeBSD, Solaris, or whatever, onto a Virtual Machine. I used to use Oracles Virtualbox, but eversince... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

8. BSD

How to install Ultrix 4.2 on Qemu?

Hi Problem changed. I've got a message showing on the screen which says Guest has not initialized the display (yet) Any how I can fix this? Thanks Jack (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucky7456969
4 Replies
MKINITRAMFS(8)							mkinitramfs manual						    MKINITRAMFS(8)

NAME
mkinitramfs - low-level tool for generating an initramfs image SYNOPSIS
mkinitramfs [-c compress] [-d confdir] [-k] -o outfile [-r root] [-v] [version] mkinitramfs [--supported-host-version= hversion] mkinitramfs [--supported-target-version= tversion] DESCRIPTION
The mkinitramfs script generates an initramfs image. The initramfs is a compressed cpio archive. The archive can be used on a different box of the same arch with the corresponding Linux kernel. mkinitramfs is meant for advanced usage. On your local box update-initramfs calls mkinitramfs with the relevant parameters. update-initramfs keeps sha1sum of generated initramfs. It takes care to generate backups and eventually runs the bootloader. At boot time, the kernel unpacks that archive into RAM disk, mounts and uses it as initial root file system. All finding of the root device happens in this early userspace. OPTIONS
-c compress Override the COMPRESS setting in initramfs.conf. -d confdir Set an alternate configuration directory. -k Keep the temporary directory used to make the image. -o outfile Write the image to outfile. -r root Override the ROOT setting in initramfs.conf. -v Set the verbose mode output. version Set the kernel version of the initramfs image (defaults to the running kernel). --supported-host-version=hversion This option queries if mkinitramfs can create ramdisks on a running kernel of version hversion. --supported-target-version=tversion This option queries if mkinitramfs can create ramdisks for kernel version tversion. ENVIRONMENT
mkinitramfs honours the TMPDIR environment variable. If set, it uses subdirectories in the given directory to create its temporary working directories. Else it uses /tmp as default value for that purpose. The given directory should be on a filesystem which allows the execution of files stored there, i.e. should not be mounted with the noexec mount option. FILES
/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf The default configuration file for the script. See initramfs.conf(5) for a description of the available configuration parameter. /etc/initramfs-tools/modules Specified modules will be put in the generated image and loaded when the system boots. The format - one per line - is identical to that of /etc/modules, which is described in modules(5). /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d The conf.d directory allows one to hardcode bootargs at initramfs build time via config snippets. This allows one to set ROOT or RESUME. This is especially useful for bootloaders, which do not pass an root bootarg. /etc/initramfs-tools/DSDT.aml If this file exists, it will be appended to the initramfs in a way that causes it to be loaded by ACPI. EXAMPLES
Create an initramfs for current running kernel: mkinitramfs -o ~/tmp/initramfs-$(uname -r) Create an initramfs for specific kernel and keep builddirs: mkinitramfs -k -o ~/tmp/initramfs-2.6.21-686 2.6.21-686 Debug initramfs creation (check out written logfile) sh -x mkinitramfs -o ~/tmp/initramfs-$(uname -r) 2> ~/tmp/log AUTHOR
The initramfs-tools are written by Maximilian Attems <maks@debian.org>, Jeff Bailey <jbailey@raspberryginger.com> and numerous others. SEE ALSO
initramfs.conf(5), initramfs-tools(8), update-initramfs(8). Linux 2010/04/07 MKINITRAMFS(8)