Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Graphics cards
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Graphics cards Post 302484957 by fpmurphy on Monday 3rd of January 2011 08:50:48 PM
Old 01-03-2011
You do not know for sure unless you try it. However in general you will not see any improvement in performance unless you can partition your problem domain into threads of execution which keep the GPU processors busy but minimize data transfers to/from the GPU.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Graphics And Animation

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY C OR ANY OTHER UNIX LANGUAGE IS USED IN THREE DIMENSIONAL ANIMATION AND RENDERING (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aloysius1001
5 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Graphics programing

Hi all! I`m new in Unix (Linux) and i whant to ask something! What language should i use for Linux developing.I meen applications an GAME DEVELOPING! Should i use C,TCL ??? Please help me on this ...:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sebastyan
1 Replies

3. Programming

Graphics libraries

I want to know if under Linux there are some graphics libraries and/or functions for using simple graphics in the 'console' screen. For example with MS-DOS (when I was using Borland Turbo C++ v1.01, a very old version) there was the include file <graphics.h> that allowed to enter the graphic... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robotronic
1 Replies

4. Programming

graphics commands ? ? ?

Graphics in UNIX :D well how to include "graphics.h" header file ? how to make the text output in colour in sh programming. please feed in back ....... thanking you alll imma (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: immanuelgangte
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX supported graphics cards

I'm using an IBM RS6000 running AIX 5.3. Currently I can only attach a dumb terminal to it to log in at the console or use terminal emulation software to connect to it remotely via my pc. What I would like to do is install a graphics card, so that I can make use of the kvm mounted in the rack. So... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HNelson
2 Replies

6. Programming

2D Graphics Lib

Hi, I am on Fedora9 and need to do some simple 2D graphics (for game development). I am looking for an ideal 2D library/package to be used with GCC. I have come accross GRX, libmxi and some OpenGL (The 3D), but none of which seems to be ok. I could not find any tutorial or support material... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nasersh
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

graphics drivers

ok, right off the bat im going to say this, i know that there is about over 100 links on google for this, just none of them help me. i have a radeon mobility 7500 graphics card. and i want to enable the compiz effects via Administration/preferences/Appearance. the problem is that i can't get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
12 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

[Solved] links2 --enable-graphics from source, configure error: no graphics driver found.

Howdy I am trying to install links2 with graphics support on snow leopard 10.6.8 (xcode installed). I have had the program running last year, also installed from source - but then I had installed some image libraries with mac ports and fink - cannot reproduce that setup. Plus I would like to not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterbaerchen
6 Replies
SafeEjectGPU(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   SafeEjectGPU(8)

NAME
SafeEjectGPU -- Facilitate safe eject/disconnect of eGPU(s) from system SYNOPSIS
SafeEjectGPU [gpuid <gpuid>] [gpus] [apps] [status] [Eject] [Initiate] [Relaunch] [Finalize] [Cancel] [RelaunchPID <PID>] ... DESCRIPTION
The SafeEjectGPU command is used to prepare for safe eject/disconnect of eGPUs from the system. This involves interacting with apps to migrate off of ejecting eGPU(s), and triggering the eject itself. This tool can also be used to view what GPUs are attached to the system, their eject status, and what apps hold references to each. A list of commands and their descriptions - note that commands affecting state are capitalized, and that multiple (including repeated) com- mands can occupy the same command line: gpus Lists attributes of GPUs currently attached to system (gpuid, vendor/model, flags) gpuid <gpuid> Specifies which GPU(s) subsequent commands apply to. The default (0x0000) means all eGPUs. See output of gpus command for valid <gpuid> values (of the form 0x7005) to use. apps Lists apps holding references to specified GPU - and app attributes/properties like PID, RPID, USER, PROCESS, APIS (Metal, GL/CL, GVA), BUNDLE_IDENTIFIER, PATH, GPUEjectPolicy and GPUSelectionPolicy where specified. status Shows eject state of specified eGPU(s) (Present, Initiated, Finalized). Eject Performs the full Eject sequence ( Initiate + Relaunch + Finalize ) of specified GPU(s). Initiate Initiates eject of specified eGPU(s). These eGPUs are temporarily hidden from API instantiations. Relaunch Interacts with apps that hold references to specified eGPU(s) - to facilitate migration to remaining GPUs. Finalize Finalizes eject of specified eGPU(s) - must be physically unplugged before they can be used again. Cancel Cancels initiated eject of specified GPU(s) - instead of Finalized. RelaunchPID <PID> Apply relaunch stimulus to one particular PID - for app relaunch stimulus testing. EXAMPLES
$ SafeEjectGPU gpus List eGPUs. Output is useful for cut-n-paste of example specified gpuid values used below $ SafeEjectGPU gpus apps status List all eGPUs and Apps on all eGPUs along with eject status of all eGPUs $ SafeEjectGPU Eject Perform full Eject sequence on all eGPUs $ SafeEjectGPU gpuid 0x7005 Eject Perform full Eject sequence on specified eGPU $ SafeEjectGPU gpus apps gpuid 0x7153 apps Lists all eGPUs and apps on all eGPUs and on integrated GPU as well $ SafeEjectGPU Initiate RelaunchPID 12345 Cancel Hide eGPUs and send relaunch stimulus to PID without doing full eject PLIST PROPERTIES
The following properties are generally inferred. Some values can be specified in the app's Info.plist. They affect eGPU eject and API selection behaviors. Generally, these properties won't need to be specified: GPUEjectPolicy Inferred/Settable GPUEjectPolicy values for dealing with apps that needs to drop references to ejecting eGPU. Establisehd in app bundle's Info.plist. Possible values: relaunch Send AppKit quit-with-save event followed by open-with-restore (relaunch app using alternate GPU(s)). wait Just wait for GPU references to drop (without sending events or signals). kill Use sigKill to force app exit (for apps that will relaunch via launchd - using alternate GPU(s)). ignore Ignore - necessary for some internal GPU/display components - working to eliminate its use. Inferred-Only GPUEjectPolicy values (you can't specify these values, but you'll see them as defaulted/inferred policies in apps out- put): wrelaunch Wait momentarily for processing of Metal GPU change notifications before resorting to relaunch (as necessary). jrelaunch Just relaunch without waiting (since OpenGL/OpenCL are in use). rwait When a process is subordinate to another, "responsible", process (see RPID column), Eject actions apply to the responsible process, who in turn deals with subordinates to eliminate their ejecting eGPU references. GPUSelectionPolicy Settable values that affect instantiation of Metal and OpenGL/CL contexts (wrt eGPU use). Established in app bundle's Info.plist. Possible values: avoidRemovable Avoid creation of MTLCommandQueues, and OpenGL/CL contexts on eGPUs. preferRemovable Prefer creation of MTLCommandQueues, and OpenGL/CL contexts on eGPUs. SEE ALSO
plist(5) sudo(8) launchd(8) HISTORY
The command line SafeEjectGPU tool first appeared in the 10.13.4 release of Mac OS X. Mac OS X January 22, 2018 Mac OS X