Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat max/ideal value of items in limits.conf in rhel5? Post 302484570 by Lazydog on Saturday 1st of January 2011 02:57:18 PM
Old 01-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Posting a reply that simply directs the original poster to a man page is discouraged here. Simple stated, don't do it without adding additional value. We don't permit RT*M type of replies here in The UNIX and Linux Forums. Thanks for supporting the spirit of the forums.

In addition, when providing links to man pages, use our forum's internal man pages, as in the example above.
As the MAN page for this topic seems to be self explanatory I see no reason to add anything more to the post other then direct him to the MAN pages on his system. There was never a link to any other page on another website. This is System Administrator 101. If the OP stated that he read the man page but still doesn't understand what to do then it would have been a different story altogether and an explanation would have been in order.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

limits.conf

Hello! How do make the limits.conf parameters work for a normal user. Ive changed both the hard and soft parameter for the specific user. It used to be 4096 and i changed it to 16384. But when i use the ulimit -n, all i got is permissen denied. Witch i can understand. But my question is? how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dozy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

limits.conf

I have line in this file that says: username - maxlogins 1 and user can login 2 times instad of one. does enybody know why? and how can I fix that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shooroop
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/security/limits.conf

HI, To restrict the number of files and number of processes used the user we use the following configuration in the file /etc/security/limits.conf. oracle soft nofile 65572 oracle hard nofile 65572 oracle soft noproc 16384 oracle soft noproc 16384 My question is what do the 'soft' and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris counterpart of /etc/security/limits.conf

Hi, How can we set per user core file size, etc in solaris, i.e. I want solaris counterpart/equivalent of linux /etc/security/limits.conf. TIA (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk between items including items

OS=HP-UX ksh The following works, except I want to include the <start> and <end> in the output. awk -F '<start>' 'BEGIN{RS="<end>"; OFS="\n"; ORS=""} {print $2} somefile.log' The following work in bash but not in ksh sed -n '/^<start>/,/^<end>/{/LABEL$/!p}' somefile.log (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Modifying limits.conf & pam.d

Hello all, I'm running Oracle 10.2 on RHEL5. Current value of ulimit -n is set to a low value of 1024. I need to increase it to 65536 using the following procedure. cat >> /etc/security/limits.conf <<EOF oracle soft nproc 2047 oracle hard nproc 16384 oracle soft nofile 1024 oracle hard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
3 Replies

7. Linux

/etc/security/limits.conf NIS netgroup support

Hi there, I am trying to set a ulimit max in the /etc/security/limits.conf against a NIS netgroup (which contains a whole bunch of users) instead of a local user or group. so I have a NIS netgroup called +@myusers , none of whose users are defined locally on the box. I want to ensure that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

8. Linux

Determining Values for NIce and Priority items in limits.conf file

I've been looking online trying to find the correct value nice and priority can take in the limits.conf file. ON the man page it says; Does this mean priority can be any negative number and any positive? Then Does this mean any number between -20 and 19 also what does the definition of nice... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewfs
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Soft and hard limits for nproc value in /etc/security/limits.conf file (Linux )

OS version : RHEL 6.5 Below is an excerpt from /etc/security/limits.conf file for OS User named appusr in our server appusr soft nproc 2047 appusr hard nproc 16384 What will happen if appusr has already spawned 2047 processes and wants to spawn 2048th process ? I just want to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies
tcl(1)							      General Commands Manual							    tcl(1)

NAME
tcl, tk, tcl-tk - Tool Command Language DESCRIPTION
The tcl software is unsupported software that is provided as part of Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will fix problems in this unsupported software only if they are specific to Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not fix problems that are integral to the software itself or that occur when the com- ponent is used on UNIX systems other than Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not add functionality to this software. Except for this reference page, other reference pages that Tru64 UNIX supplies for tcl are passed through without changes. The reference pages distributed as part of this software are available in the directories /usr/share/doclib/annex/man/man[1-9]. You should use this directory stem in the man command or add it to the MANPATH environment variable to make these files available to the man command. Note Compaq is not responsible for the content or quality of reference pages and other documents installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory and does not revise this material in response to customer problem reports. Reference pages installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex/man directory are not available from Compaq in book form; for example, they are not included in the reference manu- als that you receive when you order the Tru64 UNIX documentation set as hard copy books. Problems related to the content or quality of any documentation installed in the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory tree should be sent to the developers of the documentation. The format for changing the search path with the man command is: man -P /usr/share/doclib/annex/man [section] title... If you are using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shells, use the following command sequence to modify your environment: MANPATH=$MAN- PATH:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man export MANPATH If you are using the C shell, enter the command: setenv MANPATH `echo $MANPATH`:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man See the reference pages for the man(1) command for additional information on the search path used to locate files. The reference pages associated with this product are not included in the whatis data base created by the catman command. Therefore, the man -k and apropos commands will not locate reference pages included with this product. SEE ALSO
Commands: apropos(1), catman(8), man(1) tcl(1)