Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to replace a string in the last shell command Post 302484428 by citaylor on Friday 31st of December 2010 05:17:31 AM
Old 12-31-2010
Code:
^123114^123115

should do it (in bash)Here is their manpage on history manipulation.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to citaylor For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and replace string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to perform string replace in shell script?

I have value like ABCDEF,BBCCDD in a shell variable, now i would like to have ABQWEF,BBQWDD in the same shell variable. How can i replace the char at position 3&4 with QW in shell script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace backslash at the end of the string using sed command

I have text file which is a tab delimited one. Sample data from the file is shown below: unix is\ great\ os linux\ is superb I want to replace that backslash with empty string preserving the tab delimiter. Output should be unix is great os linux is ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.akhilreddy4u
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace string that contain blackslash,double quotes

Hi All, I have been trying to replace a string using the sed command string value contain blackslash and double quotes. I am not a expert writer of unix script but do try not to ask question. I have almost given up. Hope you all can give me some suggestion I want to replace a place string... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanush9sep
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

BASH Internal : Replace pattern with string without external command

Morning, I'm trying step up my scripting game .. :rolleyes::confused::D Is there a way to do the replacement with an or without using an external command ? I did try but no joy. var=${var//\(|\)/} #!/bin/bash var="lulus.UbiRwidgets.com (10.1.1.1)" var=${var//\(/}... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell Scripting , need to search and replace a string in AIX

Hi Guys, I need to search and replace a string in AIX using variables and should be case insensitive. I am able to search and replace using below command but its not working as case insensitive. cat abc.txt | sed -e 's/$a/$b/g' > abc.txt But i need to perform this with case... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_vardhani
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace matches string in each line with the arrayvalue in shell

I have a list of value , and need to replace that in my file. Eg: File1 tcname:fail tcname: Pass tcname:skipped File2: 01,02,03 Output: File 1 01:fail 02: Pass 03:Skipped (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevAakash
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string works on command-line but fails when run from shell script

I wish to replace "\\n" with a single white space. The below does the job on command-line: $ echo '/fin/app/scripts\\n/fin/app/01/sql' | sed -e 's#\\\\n# #g'; /fin/app/scripts /fin/app/01/sql However, when i have the same code to a shell script it is not able to get me the same output:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to replace string in AIX ksh shell

My variable contains the following string I wish to replace \n with "space" so the expected output is: I understand that the /n is not a new linein this case. I'm on AIX using ksh shell. Below is all that I tried. echo $str | sed -e "s#\n# #g"; echo $str | sed -e "s#\n#' '#g";... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)