Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help using SYSTEM function in NAWK Post 302484280 by aschera on Thursday 30th of December 2010 10:59:42 AM
Old 12-30-2010
Help using SYSTEM function in NAWK

I am scanning a file (line by line) for format errors. A line could have multiple errors. Each field in the line is evaluated for errors and sent, along w/ any error messages, to a temporary file. Finally, if any errors were detected, this temporary file is then appended to the errorFile. The tmpFile is created containing all messages, but the errorFile is not created! Any ideas?
Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash
TMPFILE="tmpFile"
ERRFILE="errorFile"
nawk -v TMP=$TMPFILE -v ERR=$ERRFILE '{
  ... scan each field for errors and increment "error" as necessary
  print $1, "Error message ..." >> TMP
  print $2, "Error message ..." >> TMP
  if (error>0) system("cp TMP ERR")
}' xx.txt

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags when posting data and code samples, thank you.

Last edited by Franklin52; 12-30-2010 at 01:28 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

system() function call...

Hi, Though I should check this myself.. but I don't have a cc compiler at this time.. :( When I compile a c program containing say system(myshell.sh).. do the executable require that the actual script myshell.sh to be present whenever it executes? I guess it needs.. otherwise I can just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk user-defined function

HELP!!!! I am in an on-line shell programming class and have a question. Here is the data: Mike Harrington:(510) 548-1278:250:100:175 Christian Dobbins:(408) 538-2358:155:90:201 Susan Dalsass:(206) 654-6279:250:60:50 (There are 12 contribuors total) This database contains names, phone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NewbieGirl
1 Replies

3. Programming

system function in c

Hai Friends I have used the function system() to execute a command. My requirement is that i have to list the files in a directory applying some wildcard paterns. For example if i want to list *.c files i go with the function system("ls *.c"); and the output gets printed on the monitor.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: collins
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System() function in <stdlib.h>

Hi, guys ,, I want to know the implementation of System() function in C Unix, and its prototype definition: int system(const char * string) in the header file <stdlib.h> ??! please help me ! because that is part of my project !! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: someone33
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk Time Function

Hi All, I am using solaris and nawk. Is there any time function in nawk which is simliar to the shell `date` function ? Can any experts show any examples? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK getline function

Hi, I am using a Solaris OS here. My intention is to print the 2nd field if the first field matches "APPLE=". I am using the "getline" function here (shown below), but it doesn;t work. Can any experts give me some advice? Input: ORANGE= 10 APPLE= 20 MANGO= 30 GRAPES= 40 Output: 20 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use ${?} and system() function???

Hi All, I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode' commands for the same and those worked fine. Please find below the same. X " ( cat /sastemp/body.txt; uuencode test.xls test.xls ) | mailx -s 'testing'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manas6
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK - looping with match() function

i'm trying to use the "before" output from the match() function as part of the results of each Regex match... but... My input data: (from an input file) i only show the first record in my file.. all other records are similar. mds_ar/bin/uedw92wp.ksh:cat $AI_SQL/wkly_inqry.sql... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using system function in C

Hi Guys , I want to use system function in C to do the following work. cp <file1> <file2> and then ><file1> e,g cp \var\log\cpm_cpmd_1.log.1 \var\log\cpm_cpmd_1.log.2 and then >\var\log\cpm_cpmd_1.log.1 1. g_config_info.cpmm_config.cpm_log_path=\var\log\ 2. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meet123321
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk Problem - nawk out of space in tostring on

Hi.. i am running nawk scripts on solaris system to get records of file1 not in file2 and find duplicate records in a while with the following scripts -compare nawk 'NR==FNR{a++;next;} !a {print"line"FNR $0}' file1 file2duplicate - nawk '{a++}END{for(i in a){if(a-1)print i,a}}' file1in the middle... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhiraj Singh
12 Replies
errors(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							 errors(4)

NAME
errors - Contains a record of uucico daemon errors SYNOPSIS
/usr/spool/uucp/.Admin/errors DESCRIPTION
The /usr/spool/uucp/.Admin/errors file contains a record of uucico daemon errors that the uucp program cannot correct. For example, if the uucico daemon is unable to access a directory that is needed for a file transfer, the uucp program records this in the errors file. If debugging is enabled for the uucico daemon, the uucp program sends the error messages to standard output instead of to the errors file. EXAMPLES
Following is the text of an error that might appear in the errors file: ASSERT ERROR (uucico) pid: 303 (7/18-8:25:09) SYS- TAT OPEN FAIL /usr/spool/uucp/.Status/ (21) [SCCSID: @(#)systat.c 7.2 87/07/08 16:43:37, FILE: systat.c, LINE:100] This error occurred on July 18 at 8:25:09 a.m. [(7/18-8:25:09)] when the uucico daemon, running as process 303 [(uucico) pid: 303], could not open the /usr/spool/uucp/.Status directory [SYSTAT OPEN FAIL /usr/spool/uucp/.Status/]. To prevent this error from occurring again, you should make sure the permissions for the .Status directory are correct. It should be owned by the uucp login ID and group uucp, with permissions of 777 (read, write, and execute for owner, group, and all others). FILES
Contains the errors file and other uucp administrative files Lists the last time a remote system was contacted and the minimum time until the next retry RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: uudemon.cleanu(4) Daemons: uucico(8) delim off errors(4)