Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to make gl_get_line read unicode characters Post 302483853 by tdw on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 04:10:30 PM
Old 12-28-2010
I explicitly set LC_CTYPE to en_US.UTF-8 to avoid any confusion. But at one point I did try with setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "") and result was same because the default locale in my env was set to en_US.UTF-8. I even tried to run the original demo.c that came with the libtecla download package and same problem - any foreign characters I entered or pasted at the terminal were erased.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to make static unicode string?

In Windows, wchar_t *pStr = L"Hello"; works, but I can't find the equivalent to Unix system. How can I make static stack-memory-based wide character string in C in Unix? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sledge76
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to display unicode characters / unicode string

I have a stream of characters like "\u8BBE\u5907\u7BA1" and i want to display it. I tried following things already without any luck. 1) printf("%s",L("\u8BBE\u5907\u7BA1")); 2) printf("%lc",0x8BBE); 3) setlocale followed by fwide followed by wprintf 4) also changed the local manually... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackdorso
3 Replies

3. AIX

problem with Unicode characters insertion

hi, I have a problem with unicode chars ( chinese, japanese etc ) insertion using sqlplus prompt. When i wrote a proc program for it i am able to create records. But when i fore the same query on sql prompt it stores reverse ????? ..some junk. widechar columns are mapped with NVARCHAR datatype.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suman_jakkula
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make root user read all

I want to know what i can set up so that root user can read everything. On my Solaris systems root can read the following directory. drwxrwx--- 408 icsrc icarc0 36864 Aug 21 07:24 dev drwxrwsr-x 7 icsrc icarc0 4096 Aug 4 1998 test But on my linux systems it gets: # cd dev bash: cd:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help replacing or scrubbing unicode characters

I have a csv (tab delimited) file that is created by an application (that I didn't write). Every so often it throw out a <U+FEFF> (Zero Width no break space) character at the begining of a tabbed field. The charcater is invisible to some editors, but it shows up bolded in less. The issue is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roninuta
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove special and unicode characters

Hi, How do I remove the lines where special characters or Unicode characters appear? The following query does work but I wonder if there is a better way. cat test.txt | egrep -v '\)|#|,|&|-|\(|\\|\/|\.' The following lines show that my query is incomplete. Warning: The word "*Khan" is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim leading zeros to make field 6 characters long

Hi all- I've got a file that will have multiple columns. In one column there will be a string that is 10 digits in length, but I need to trim the first four zeros to make it 6 characters? example: 0000001234 0000123456 0000234566 0000000321 output: 001234 123456 234566 000321 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cailet
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Embedded Newline characters with read (builtin) in KSH93

Hi Guys, Happy New Year to you all! I have a requirement to read an embedded new-line using KSH's read builtin. Here is what I am trying to do: run_sql "select guestid, address, email from guest" | while read id addr email do ## Biz logic goes here done I can take care of any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_programmer
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script backspace not working for Unicode characters

Hello, My Perl script reads input from stdin and prints it out to stdout. After I read input I use BACKSPACE to erase characters. However BACKSPACE does not work with Unicode characters that are multi-bytes. On screen the character is erased but underneath only one byte is deleted instead of all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdw
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display unicode characters in zos shell

Hi all, I have a shell script that has several strings with \uxxxx characters distributed within. I would like to display these characters when I execute the script and echo the strings. I am running on zos in an sh environment. Some strings look like this: "Chcete-li pou\u017e\u00edt" <---... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adam.wis
1 Replies
uxterm(1)						      General Commands Manual							 uxterm(1)

NAME
uxterm - X terminal emulator for Unicode (UTF-8) environments SYNOPSIS
uxterm [ xterm-options ] DESCRIPTION
uxterm is a wrapper around the xterm(1) program that invokes the latter program with the 'UXTerm' X resource class set. All arguments to uxterm are passed to xterm without processing; the -class and -u8 options should not be specified because they are used by the wrapper. See the xterm manual page for more information on xterm-options. The environment's locale settings (see "ENVIRONMENT" below) are used to discern the locale's character set. If no current locale can be determined, the locale 'en_US' (the English language as used in the territory of the United States) is assumed. The locale(1) utility is used to determine whether the system supports the selected locale. If it does not, uxterm will exit with an error and report the output of locale. Note: uxterm may produce unexpected results if the current locale is set to one in which the UTF-8 character encoding is not supported, or if fonts using the ISO 10646-1 character set are not available. In the Debian system, the 'xfonts-base' package provides the fonts that uxterm uses by default. To change the fonts uxterm uses, edit the /etc/X11/app-defaults/UXTerm file. A similar wrapper, koi8rxterm(1), is available for KOI8-R environments. ENVIRONMENT
LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG The values of these variables are checked, in order, to determine the character set used by the current locale. AUTHOR
Thomas Dickey SEE ALSO
locale(1), locale(7), koi8rxterm(1), xterm(1) Debian Project 2004-12-19 uxterm(1)