Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support using multiple iperf instances for performance testing Post 302483847 by elemental on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 04:02:17 PM
Old 12-28-2010
using multiple iperf instances

Hi ppucci,

Multiple iperf instances would work for what you want. I'm assuming that you're using VLAN sub-interfaces (e.g. eth0.1234) since you mentioned 802.1q trunking to your interface.

On the recieve (server) side you can run a single iperf instances that will bind to all interfaces (this is the normal 'iperf -s' behavior), or exec multiple iperf servers, each using -B to bind to a specific interface (for finer-grained logging and control) as pileofrogs mentioned.

To state the obvious: your 20 iperf streams will each be ~50Mbit; This may be fine for switch testing, but mentioning in case your trying to e.g. saturate a multiple port Gigabit switch fabric.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

multiple instances of syslogd - is it possible?

I would like to start up multiple instances of syslog daemon. I am having a little difficulty. Is this at all possible? I have separate syslog.conf1.... syslog.conf5 files. I have linked the daemon to separate files syslogd1 ... syslogd5 I have arranged the rcd.2 start/stop scripts for... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
9 Replies

2. AIX

Performance testing on AIX

I'm doing performance testing for one application which works on AIX. But I don't know which performance parameters of memory need to be collected. Now, I just know very few: 1. page in 2. page out 3. fre They are all collected by "vmstat" command. I want to know, except for above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adasong
2 Replies

3. Web Development

Suggested tool / approach for performance testing

What is a good approach for a performance testing tool suite for web applications? I am specifically interested in tools that execute a certain set of tasks well as opposed to tuning high traffic sites. In other words, a profiler would be a good idea to have, although I understand these tools are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

4. Linux

Doubt about programs for testing Linux performance

Hello friends, I'm working on a Thesis and right now I'm in a phase of comparing a Linux vs Windows performance in similar situations on the same machine. I'm asking here because I would like help on this, since I've always worked in Linux as an Administrator and a user, never as a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lzcool
6 Replies

5. IP Networking

using multiple iperf instances for performance testing

Hello all! I have the need to performance-test a MPLS switch, I was thinking of using iperf to accomplish the task. I had in mind using a linux box with a Gigabit interface connected to a L2 switch on a 802.1Q trunk. In the interface I would create 20 VLANs with 20 different IP subnets. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppucci
0 Replies

6. Programming

Control multiple program instances - open multiple files problem

Hello. This shouldn't be an unusual problem, but I cannot find anything about it at google or at other search machine. So, I've made an application using C++ and QtCreator. I 've made a new mime type for application's project files. My system (ubuntu 10.10), when I right click a file and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Performance testing - training content

Hi Everyone, My company is involved in performing performance testing and now they want to perform couple of training related with executing those tests on the servers based on Unix sytems. And I have to provide them draft of the content for those trainings. I think this kind of training... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bartuss
2 Replies
alt(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						    alt(7)

NAME
alt - DEGPA Gigabit Ethernet interface SYNOPSIS
config_driver alt DESCRIPTION
The alt interface provides access to Gigabit Ethernet (1000Mbs) through the DEGPA device. The interface supports full-duplex operation in a switched or point-to-point configuration, and provides the following features: The interface has Link Autonegotiation enabled by default. Some switches do not support Link Autonegotiation. To turn Link Autonegotiation off, use the following command: # lan_config -ialt0 -a0 Note that you may add this command to the /etc/inet.local file to preserve the set- ting of Link Autonegotiation across system restarts. JUMBO packets are disabled by default. JUMBO packets provide a non-standard larger packet size. This enables the interface to carry more data with less CPU overhead. To enable JUMBO packets, use the following command: # ifconfig alt0 ipmtu 9000 Note that there are several interoperability issues with using JUMBO packets (for example, if your switch goes from 1000Mbps to a 100Mbps client, JUMBO packets will not work on a 100Mbps LAN). In order to use JUMBO frames, you will need a switch that supports JUMBO frames or a point-to-point configuration with a partner that supports JUMBO frames. Receive flow control is enabled. There is currently no way to turn this off. Gigabit Ethernet performance with TCP/IP depends on several factors. Some of the influencing factors are as follows: The speed at which data can be delivered to the interface influences throughput. If your CPU(s) are busy doing several tasks, the task using Gigabit Ethernet may not get enough run time to deliver packets. In general, faster CPUs will deliver better throughput. Fast access to the PCI bus is critical for high throughput. Using a 64-bit PCI slot will give you better performance and use less PCI resources than a 32-bit PCI slot. Putting the interface on the same PCI bus as other peripherals will degrade throughput. Each system type may also have different PCI-to- host speed considerations (the speed at which the PCI-to-host hardware allows the device to operate). The standard TCP/IP applications (for example, ftp and rcp) are not designed to run at Gigabit speeds. TCP applications that expect performance should use a message size of 65000 bytes and a window size of 128000 bytes. Even when an application is modified to use these settings, high throughput may not be attainable. This is particularly true when an application is waiting for data to send (data from a disk, for example). ERRORS
The following diagnostic and error messages contain relevant information provided by the alt interface, and are displayed to the console. Each message begins with the adapter identification, including the number of the adapter. The alt interface could not find adequate I/O addressing on this system to operate. This is a fatal error, and the DEGPA-SA will not operate on this system. There was a memory alloca- tion problem or the device initialization has failed. This is indicative of a hardware problem. Indicates that the Gigabit Ethernet link is up. The Autonegotiated keyword indicates that the link was autonegotiated. Note, this will only be on if autonegotiation is enabled). The ReceiveFlowControl keyword indicates that Receive Flow control is enabled on the link. Indicates that the link is no longer estab- lished. No communication will occur over the link while it is down. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: ifconfig(8), lan_config(8) Files: inet.local(4) Network information: arp(7), inet(7), netintro(7) delim off alt(7)