Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers suspend a *background* running job Post 302483381 by uiop44 on Sunday 26th of December 2010 05:07:25 PM
Old 12-26-2010
Thanks.

This works great. But the new status is not immediately reflected in the jobs -l output.

Can I get the status to update with another signal?

Certain events seem to trigger an update in the status, e.g., bg'ing another job, or a pipe.

Considering a pipe triggers the status update, this is the lame hack I came up with show the updated status immediately:

Code:
lamehack(){ kill -18 %$1; :|: ;}

Last edited by uiop44; 12-26-2010 at 11:11 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job

I try to run a script as background job. script: #!/usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/date +20%y-%m-%d > ~/datsql.txt If I start it I got this output: tac> ./datermitteln& 293 + Stopped (SIGTTOU) ./datermitteln& I insert the following line inside my script, but without any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background job

Hiya, Recently I've run a few scripts in the foreground, but have realised later they should of been better nohup'd and placed in the background. I understand how to change a foreground job into a background one, but how would put the job into the nohup state? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdbooth
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job

on gnome i open a terminal and run wget http://soommmething & in the background. because wget shows me downloading progress percentage and download speed continuously, I exit the gnome-terminal after a while i want to see the download percentage but dont know how. my ps -u myname shows that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babayeve
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suspend Cron job temprory

Hi Is there any way to suspend cron job without ommitting crontab entries?? I have a no of entries in crontab, which runs daily.......... what if I want to suspend all process in cron one day . Is there any one line command for it ?? Please suggest Rergards Pankaj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
4 Replies

5. AIX

Question on background running job

Guys, We use AIX 5.3 at our work place. I only in my team have a strange problem of not able run jobs background. Other colleagues are able to run without any problem. Once I kick off background job using nohup and & command, It immediately stops. The following error I get when I run. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandsbr
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Job

Hello Everyody, Having a doubt. sort file1 & when we sent a job to the background it returns Job Number PID again if we want to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knroy10
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Is user cron job running in background?

Hi, Should the user jobs specified in crontab be running in background? Cron daemon is already running in background. So I am not sure whether should the jobs (output and error messages are redirected to file) ran by it be explicitly stated to be run in background (& at end of command) if one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joe_x
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a function in background and then suspend it

Here is some back ground on the script. The script is to poll an arbitrary number of DB's. To do this I am creating a function that takes the file_path to the DB and the min poll interval as arguments. The function will be called for each DB and then ran in the background. The function I was... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandavison
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get status of dd running in background job

Hello everyone While working on TUI for scripts, there there came the idea to' add a command' for dd too. That was, after 'wrapping' tar and wget either, to display their growing size and return the exit code with a textual-visual-feedback to the user. Now displaying the filesize of a... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
13 Replies
disown(1)							   User Commands							 disown(1)

NAME
disown - ksh93 built-in function to disassociate a job with the current shell SYNOPSIS
disown [job ...] DESCRIPTION
The ksh93 disown command prevents the current shell from sending a HUP signal to each of the specified jobs when the current shell termi- nates a login session. If job is omitted, disown sends the HUP signal to the most recently started or stopped background job. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: job Specifies the job or jobs on which disown operates. Specify job as one of the following: number Refers to a process ID. -number Refers to a process group ID. %number Refers to a job number. %string Refers to a job whose name begins with string. %?string Refers to a job whose name contains string. %+ or %% Refers to the current job. %- Refers to the previous job. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 One or more specified jobs does not exist. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Disowning a Job The following example disowns job 1: example% disown %1 AUTHORS
David Korn, dgk@research.att.com ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
bg(1), jobs(1), ksh93(1), wait(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 18 Apr 2007 disown(1)