Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting trying to accumulate a number in the same variable Post 302483113 by rdcwayx on Thursday 23rd of December 2010 09:27:28 PM
Old 12-23-2010
Code:
awk '
{       
num_cols=NF;  # the number of columns in the current line
temp_cols=temp_cols+num_cols  #add up no. of columns over multiple lines
print temp_cols
}' <$infile >tst.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check if variable is a number

If I have a variable $X, how do I check it is a number? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

defining a variable as a number or character?

I am writing a script that needs to accept numbers into a variable by prompting and using the code read num case $num in 000) break ;; *) I am fairly new to unix and am loving the versatility of the language but need a little shove in the right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noobian
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do one evaulate a variable's value if it is number or not

How do one evaulate a variable's value if it is number or not. say var1=1234; .... I want to check if $var1 contains a number or not. Is there any built-in command or combination of commands available? Thanks, Suman (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suman_jakkula
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export variable as number

Hi Guys, I am using the korn shell. I have an environments files where I have defined a variable export START_TIME=060000 export END_TIME=220000 I source this environments file into one of my scripts. The problem is that when I try to use this variable, I cannot get to use this variable as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeus101
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

appending variable number of files

In a particular path of a server I have number of files.The files are generated every date with a date_mth stap on this.There are different files for different clients. For example in /data1 path i have X_0416_Score Y_0416_Score Z_0417_Score X_0417_Score A_0417_Score If i will run the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dr46014
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accumulate counter in script

Hi, I'm new to unix and have a problem? I'm writing a basic script in ksh and it is a basic quiz with 5 questions. I need to be able to accumulate the correct answers at the end and echo out the total correct answers, I cannot work it out? Please see script so far. If anyone can help that will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a variable is a number - perl

Logic of code if ( $var is a number ) { Do something } else { Do something else } My question is: How do I check if a variable is a number. All the reg ex that I came up with to match this is failing. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable number of input files

Hi all, I'm an extremely newbie with unix/perl. I have a perl script that I need to run on a variable number of input files (i.e., I have to run the perl script on each file, but from run to run, I have a different list of files that need to be put through this script). I think this can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunmatrix
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number lines of file and assign variable to each number

I have a file with a list of config files numbered on the lefthand side 1-300. I need to have bash read each lines number and assign it to a variable so it can be chosen by the user called by the script later. Ex. 1 some data 2 something else 3 more stuff which number do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable number of character

hi All, My requirement is to replace variable number of in between character with X The first 6 and last 4 characters will remain same and rest characters will be masked with X Example - input String 12345678912345 output 123456XXXX2345 input string 123456 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
1 Replies