Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert blank line if grep not found Post 302482602 by masterpiece on Wednesday 22nd of December 2010 04:41:45 AM
Old 12-22-2010
Hi Rohon,

Superb!! SmilieSmilie Exactly as i want.

Thanks, you saved my day
This User Gave Thanks to masterpiece For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert blank line if grep not found

Hello everyone... please help if you can -- I'm stumped. Making this work will save me hours of manual labor: I need to search file2 for pattern in file1. If pattern found append file2 line to file3. If pattern not found append a blank line to file3. file1 contents example: 123 456 789... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text and add blank line

I need your help, I want to add a text every 2nd line and also a blank line after 3 line (In the output 2nd line is "changetype: modify" and every 4th line is blank line) Input file format dn: abc orclsourceobjectdn: abcd dn: bcd orclsourceobjectdn: bcda dn: cba orclsourceobjectdn:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: athidhi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert new line at found chars

Hey gang, I have: XXZZXXZZXX 123 asdaffggh dfghyrgr ertyhdhh XXZZXXZZXX 234 sdg XXZZXXZZXX 456 gfg fggfd That is all on one line. Very simply put I want to do is something like: sed s'/XXZZXXZZXX /\n/g' or tr 'XXZZXXZZXX ' '/n' I have tried various things but can never get the desired... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare three files and insert a blank line at each mismatch

i need to compare three files in unix a.txt b.txt c.txt 1 2 1 2 5 3 4 6 5 5 6 6 i need to insert a blank line in the file if i don't find a match and put the items at the same column if found a match The items in the files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert blank line in a file

I have a file with data as below : Heading 1 ------------- Heading 1 data1 Heading 1 data2 Heading 1 data3 Heading 1 data4 Heading 2 ------------- Heading 2 data1 Heading 2 data2 Heading 2 data3 Heading 2 data4 Heading 3 ------------- Heading 3 data1 Heading 3 data2 Heading 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoursdivu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines after the search string until blank line is found

All I want is to look for the pattern in the file...If I found it at # places... I want print lines after those pattern(line) until I find a blank line. Log EXAMPLE : MT:Exception caught The following Numbers were affected: 1234 2345 2346 Error java.lang.InternalError:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash184u
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert blank line between lines

Hello, I am trying to write a script that will count the number of characters for each line in a file and all the lines that have less than 80 characters and that are ending with a period, I want it to insert a blank line after them immediately. But, for whatever reason the condition if ]] is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort with condition and insert blank line

Hi, I have a file with no blank line anywhere Its a conf file, The lines between and starts with "#" should be sort out with the first three characters(characters are between (a-z)). and insert a blank space in between the uniq lines. For clear understanding ,pls find the below input file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find regex, place on individual lines and insert blank line before

Hello, I have a file that I want to be able to insert a new line before every instance of a regex. I can get it to do this for each line that contains the regex, but not for each instance. Contents of infile: Test this 1... Test this 2... Test this 3... Test this 4... Test this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deneuve01
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - How to insert line before the first blank line following a token

Hello. I have a config file (/etc/my_config_file) which may content : # # port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic port=8200 # network interfaces to serve, comma delimited network_interface=eth0 # set this to the directory you want scanned. # * if have multiple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies
holidays(4)							   File Formats 						       holidays(4)

NAME
holidays - prime/nonprime table for the accounting system SYNOPSIS
/etc/acct/holidays DESCRIPTION
The /etc/acct/holidays file describes which hours are considered prime time and which days are holidays. Holidays and weekends are con- sidered non-prime time hours. /etc/acct/holidays is used by the accounting system. All lines beginning with an "*" are comments. The /etc/acct/holidays file consists of two sections. The first non-comment line defines the current year and the start time of prime and non-prime time hours, in the form: current_year prime_start non_prime_start The remaining non-comment lines define the holidays in the form: month/day company_holiday Of these two fields, only the month/day is actually used by the accounting system programs. The /etc/acct/holidays file must be updated each year. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Example of the /etc/acct/holidays file. The following is an example of the /etc/acct/holidays file: * Prime/Nonprime Table for the accounting system * * Curr Prime Non-Prime * Year Start Start * 1991 0830 1800 * * only the first column (month/day) is significant. * * month/day Company Holiday * 1/1 New Years Day 5/30 Memorial Day 7/4 Indep. Day 9/5 Labor Day 11/24 Thanksgiving Day 11/25 day after Thanksgiving 12/25 Christmas 12/26 day after Christmas SEE ALSO
acct(1M) SunOS 5.10 28 Mar 1991 holidays(4)