Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find problem with exec
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find problem with exec Post 302482335 by MorpheusC on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 09:02:29 AM
Old 12-21-2010
find problem with exec

Hi, i want to make a script that calculates the total size in bytes from files from a directory(first argument) and displays "Total :xxxxx", the second argument must indicate the minimum size of files processed and the third argument indicates the path to a file that will save the processed file names, that have size greater than specified in argument 2.

I tried with find:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
find $1 -type f -size +$2k -exec ls -lh {} \; > $3

But i get this :

Code:
./a /var/tmp 2222 ss
find: /var: No such file or directory

if i type the code find without path like this : find -type f -size 6579c displays the files from /home/morpheusc but when i try: find -type f -exec ls -lh \; | grep total it displays eight times : like this
Code:
total 8.0K
find: ./public_html: Permission denied
total 8.0K
total 8.0K
total 8.0K
total 8.0K
total 8.0K
total 8.0K

I dont understand why when i try find /var/tmp -type f -size 6579c .... it says that no files found.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find and exec

Hi, Happy new year. Would you be so kind to explain me what does this instruction : find /rep/app -type l -exec ls -l {} \;> allink.lst Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

| with find -exec

can we use |(pipe operator) with find -exec.....? or can pipe the output of find command to another command...? if not, why...? pls explain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using MV FIND and -EXEC

Hi, i would like to rename files in directories and subdirs. Files contains specific french or strange caracters. I want to replace all non alpha-numerics by _ (underscore) First, i made this, but i think the "for" is limited. How can i do this directly by FIND ? for file in $(find .... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: degraff63
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Exec

Hello All, Is there a way to make exec do a couple of operations on a single input from find? For example, find . -type d -exec ls -l "{}" ";" I would like to give the result of each "ls -l" in the above to a wc. Is that possible? I want to ls -l | wc -l inside... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Find and exec

Hello, I am a linux newbe. I want to install a program. I can download it only with wget command from internet. As far as i know this wget command does not transfer the exacutable flags. Because of that i wanted to find all configure files and change their mod to 744. I found this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: disconnectus
1 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Find and EXEC

This is a huge issue. and I need it fixed ASAP. account-system gate-system race_traffic_sensor achievement-system global race_voicepack admin glue-system realdriveby admin-system gps realism-system... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: austech360
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: missing argument to `-exec' while redirecting using find in perl

Hi Friends, Please help me to sort out this problem, I am running this in centos o/s and whenever I run this script I am getting "find: missing argument to `-exec' " but when I run the same code in the command line I didn't find any problem. I am using perl script to run this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumarselvam
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi all, Please could someone help with the following command requirement. I basically need to find files NEWER than a given file and order the result on time. My attempt so far is as follows: find . -newer <file_name> -exec ls -lrt {} ;\ But I dont seem to get the right result... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 exec in find

Guys, I want to find the log files greather than 23 days and i want to perform 2 things here. one is to list the files and second is to gzip the files. hope this can be done using sh -c option. but not sure the exact command. find . -name "*.log" -mtime +23 -exec ls -la {} \; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chaining together exec within find

I need to do the following with a find command on my AIX box Find all files that are -type f Then do the following steps:- Take a listing of them, and write them to a log in /directory/backup/log Tar them up in /directory/backup/tar and remove the files. Here is what I have... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
22 Replies
DH_FIXPERMS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_FIXPERMS(1)

NAME
dh_fixperms - fix permissions of files in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_fixperms [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] DESCRIPTION
dh_fixperms is a debhelper program that is responsible for setting the permissions of files and directories in package build directories to a sane state -- a state that complies with Debian policy. dh_fixperms makes all files in usr/share/doc in the package build directory (excluding files in the examples/ directory) be mode 644. It also changes the permissions of all man pages to mode 644. It removes group and other write permission from all files. It removes execute permissions from any libraries, headers, Perl modules, or desktop files that have it set. It makes all files in the standard bin and sbin directories, usr/games/ and etc/init.d executable (since v4). Finally, it removes the setuid and setgid bits from all files in the package. When the Rules-Requires-Root field has the (effective) value of binary-targets, dh_fixperms will also reset the ownership of all paths to "root:root". OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from having their permissions changed. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_FIXPERMS(1)