Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cut command issue from a line of text Post 302482113 by asutoshch on Monday 20th of December 2010 04:34:34 PM
Old 12-20-2010
No, they do not work. I am getting error with the code echo "${LINE:86:3}". It says "${LINE:89:3}": The specified substitution is not valid for this command.

However the awk is working and giving me wrong result. There is no tab character - all spaces.
Thanks
Asutoshch

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text cut between two $ in a line with SED

Let's say I have a line like that: I want to cut out numbers between two $ including $s. The result should be like that: I am so-newbei. I am non-stop reading about SED since yesterday and not a programmer. I know that it is a short period, thus maybe I had overlooked something. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: l_p
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut a field of a line in a text file?

Hi, I have text file which contains lines like : a/a/a/a/.project b/b/b/b/b/.project c/c/c/.project d/.project e/e/e/e/.project i want for all lines the last word .project should be removed and the file should look like : a/a/a/a/ b/b/b/b/b/ c/c/c/ .... how to proceed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut first line only from a text near a specific column without cutting a word

First I have to say thank you to this community and this forum. You helped me very much builing several useful scripts. Now, I can't get a solution the following problem, I'm stuck somehow. Maybe someone has an idea. In short, I dump a site via lynx and pipe the output in a file. I need to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need to cut the first word of a line in text file

Hi All, I would like help with a script which can get rid of the first work of all lines in text file. File 1 The name is Scott. Output : name is Scott ---------- Post updated at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:37 PM ---------- Hi ALL There is typo error in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubbly
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the second line in a text file

Hi I have some problem to cut out the second line in a output file and send to a new file it's a #!/bin/bash script 1 something 2 something 3 something and after I cut 1 something 3 something New file 2 something Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelle
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text using cut command

Hi All, I need to extract text 'ULTIMATE and 4spaces after it' from below line 77"2686"2010-11-21 14:09:13.000"4"I"200"1"2010-11-21 14:09:14.000"001:S087110131 ULTIMATE 4.99 T"" I have used cut command : a=`echo $line | cut -f9 -d '"' | cut -c20-31` echo $a But... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: angie1234
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

CUT Command and grep issue

I am trying to grep the oracle erros evry day from the logs file. My problem is : -rw-r----- 1 tibcolm tibco 17438361 Apr 5 11:59 RetryService-RetryService.log -rw-r----- 1 tibcolm tibco 245303 Apr 5 12:00 ResponseService-ResponseService.log -rw-r----- 1 tibcolm tibco 2122654 Apr 5 12:00... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeraj617
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command issue with shell script

I am writing a shell script to skip couple of feilds in a flat file and as a part of this I have written the below piece of code in it. cut -d '|' -f 1-17,19-31 $1 > filename To add pipe at end of the line I used below command, but it adds even to header and footer as well which i... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya_001
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command issue

Need help to append a pipe at end of the line immediately after the cut command, I have an Input flat file with 16 feilds and I am removing the 16th feild by using the cut command as shown, Input: 354|||||CORPORTATION||||NENE PARADE|||WISBECH|CAMBRIDGESHIRE|PE13 3BY|100001| I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya_001
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with CUT command

Hi All, I am facing an issue while cutting fields with comma delimiter. There are many records with Double quotes in between. My data: aaa,bbb,"ccc, ddd",eee,fff,"ggg ,hhh",iii When i use cut command with comma delimiter, i am getting wrong data like field1=aaa field2=bbb field3="ccc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
3 Replies
TIGR-GLIMMER(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   TIGR-GLIMMER(1)

NAME
tigr-glimmer -- Fine start/stop positions of genes in genome sequence SYNOPSIS
tigr-extract [genome-file options] DESCRIPTION
Program extract takes a FASTA format sequence file and a file with a list of start/stop positions in that file (e.g., as produced by the long-orfs program) and extracts and outputs the specified sequences. The first command-line argument is the name of the sequence file, which must be in FASTA format. The second command-line argument is the name of the coordinate file. It must contain a list of pairs of positions in the first file, one per line. The format of each entry is: <IDstring>> <start position> <stop position> This file should contain no other information, so if you're using the output of glimmer or long-orfs , you'll have to cut off header lines. The output of the program goes to the standard output and has one line for each line in the coordinate file. Each line contains the IDstring , followed by white space, followed by the substring of the sequence file specified by the coordinate pair. Specifically, the substring starts at the first position of the pair and ends at the second position (inclusive). If the first position is bigger than the second, then the DNA reverse complement of each position is generated. Start/stop pairs that "wrap around" the end of the genome are allowed. OPTIONS
-skip makes the output omit the first 3 characters of each sequence, i.e., it skips over the start codon. This was the behaviour of the previous version of the program. -l makes the output omit an sequences shorter than n characters. n includes the 3 skipped characters if the -skip switch is one. SEE ALSO
tigr-glimmer3 (1), tigr-long-orfs (1), tigr-adjust (1), tigr-anomaly (1), tigr-build-icm (1), tigr-check (1), tigr-codon-usage (1), tigr- compare-lists (1), tigr-extract (1), tigr-generate (1), tigr-get-len (1), tigr-get-putative (1), http://www.tigr.org/software/glimmer/ Please see the readme in /usr/share/doc/tigr-glimmer for a description on how to use Glimmer3. AUTHOR
This manual page was quickly copied from the glimmer web site by Steffen Moeller moeller@debian.org for the Debian system. TIGR-GLIMMER(1)