Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming gcc symbol reference error in Solaris Post 302481739 by avisht on Sunday 19th of December 2010 03:10:44 PM
Old 12-19-2010
gcc symbol reference error in Solaris

Hi there,

Honestly i'm not much of a code guy but i found some short piece of code over the net which i need to compile in my Solaris machine (in order to change my hostid).
As far as i read - i need to use the gcc to compile this short text file making it an executable file.

My problem is that when ever i tried to comile it - it's giving me some kind of an error related to undefined symbol reference which i have no idea what should i do to fix it !

Here is the code:
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
if(argc < 2)
{
fprintf(stderr,"Single argument: Target hostid\n",argv[0]);
return 1;
}
sethostid(
strtoul(argv[1],NULL,16) );
return 0;
}

When i run the gcc this is what i get:
Code:
# gcc <code text file>.c -o <filename>
Undefined first referenced
symbol in file
sethostid /var/tmp//ccEX9dSj.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to <filename>
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

As i mentioned, i'm not a developer so it might be something related to the C setup\environment on my server.
How can i check\verify everything required for comilng it exist\installed ?

Can someone please assist?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Cross post. Continued here

Last edited by Scott; 12-19-2010 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

solaris command reference

is there any good doc which explains the systems command reference manual for sun solaris for ex: related to memory disk space booting rsh enabling restarting LOM etc etc pls help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gini
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

C++ Compiling error.. Symbol Reference

Undefined first referenced symbol in file std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::operator(unsigned int) const/var/tmp//cc9ACJBX.o std::basic_istream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::operator>><char,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjena
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Installing gcc - recieve error message gcc : cannot execute

AIM- Install Oracle 11g on Solaris using VMWare Steps 1.Logged on as root 2.Created subfolders à /usr/local/bin & /usr/local/bin/gcc 3.Downloaded gcc & libiconv & unzipped them on my harddrive & burnt them on CD 4.Copied files from CD to /usr/local/bin/gcc 5.Terminal (root) à pkgadd -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ackers
8 Replies

4. Solaris

gcc -3.4.6 solaris installation error

Hi , I am installing gcc 3.4.6 on SunOS labcvs001sm 5.9 Generic_117171-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10 . The isa info is 'sparcv'. I have the following with me a)gcc-3.4.6.tar b)gcc-3.4.6-sol9-sparc-local c)libiconv-1.11-sol9-sparc-local d) binutils-2.18.tar.gz e)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu2die4
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Symbol reference error for same code & libraries but compiled in different environmen

Hi All, I am having a code written in C++.First I build this code on SUN 5.10.It was built successfully.Following is the log when build was successful. -L/apps/compilers/SUNWspro/lib -lm -lsunmath \ -o App ld: warning: symbol `clog' has differing types: (file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: milindb
0 Replies

6. Solaris

/usr/lib/passwdutil.so.1: symbol __nsl_fgetspent_r: referenced symbol not found

deleteing post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshakey
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbol reference

Hi, test -d .ssh || mkdir .ssh && chmod 700 .ssh The command has couple of symbols, could someone redirect me to the link, where i can understand their significance. Thanks, John (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john_prince
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbol list reference

Can anyone direct me to a page that holds a list of perl's built in symbols? Example: $_ means blah $? means blah2 $! means blah3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
3 Replies

9. Solaris

I got "undefined reference to" on gcc

Hell all I tryed to build rmp from sources on Solaris 10. I download source code, install gcc, binutils, and other packs с sunfreeware.com. Doring compilation I got an error: /bin/bash ./libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -std=gnu99 -g -O2 -fPIC -DPIC -D_REENTRANT -Wall... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sluge
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Solaris 11 patch cross reference file

Hi all I wanted to know does solaris 11 have any place to download patch cross-reference file like solaris 10 (h t t p s://getupdates.oracle.com/reports/patchdiag.xref)? I wanted to use this file to filter out those security patches and use it to check if any of my solaris 11 systems are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaze
0 Replies
GETHOSTID(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						      GETHOSTID(3)

NAME
gethostid, sethostid - get or set the unique identifier of the current host SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> long gethostid(void); int sethostid(long hostid); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): gethostid(): _BSD_SOURCE || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500 || _XOPEN_SOURCE && _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED sethostid(): _BSD_SOURCE || (_XOPEN_SOURCE && _XOPEN_SOURCE < 500) DESCRIPTION
gethostid() and sethostid() respectively get or set a unique 32-bit identifier for the current machine. The 32-bit identifier is intended to be unique among all UNIX systems in existence. This normally resembles the Internet address for the local machine, as returned by geth- ostbyname(3), and thus usually never needs to be set. The sethostid() call is restricted to the superuser. RETURN VALUE
gethostid() returns the 32-bit identifier for the current host as set by sethostid(). On success, sethostid() returns 0; on error, -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
sethostid() can fail with the following errors: EACCES The caller did not have permission to write to the file used to store the host ID. EPERM The calling process's effective user or group ID is not the same as its corresponding real ID. CONFORMING TO
4.2BSD; these functions were dropped in 4.4BSD. SVr4 includes gethostid() but not sethostid(). POSIX.1-2001 specifies gethostid() but not sethostid(). NOTES
In the glibc implementation, the hostid is stored in the file /etc/hostid. (In glibc versions before 2.2, the file /var/adm/hostid was used.) In the glibc implementation, if gethostid() cannot open the file containing the host ID, then it obtains the hostname using gethostname(2), passes that hostname to gethostbyname_r(3) in order to obtain the host's IPv4 address, and returns a value obtained by bit-twiddling the IPv4 address. (This value may not be unique.) BUGS
It is impossible to ensure that the identifier is globally unique. SEE ALSO
hostid(1), gethostbyname(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-09-20 GETHOSTID(3)