Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to stop USB-HDD?
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory How to stop USB-HDD? Post 302481731 by Vourhey on Sunday 19th of December 2010 12:26:11 PM
Old 12-19-2010
How to stop USB-HDD?

Hi,

There is the following minor issue with USB-harddrive:
On windows: when i perform "safely remove" disk is stopped (hdd head is parking) & it is not spinning (but it is still connected to USB)
On Linux (Fedora 14, OpenSUSE): when i perform "umount", HDD is still spinning.

Could you please provide any info on how to stop disk when it is not used.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to stop others users to stop viewing what i am doing ?

Hi , I have one question, suppose i am a normal user and when i use 'w' command , it shows who is logged on and what they are doing . Now i want to stop others users to know what i am doing accept the root ? can i do this ? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobile01
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

usb hdd detection problem

I have seagate USB 2.0 HDD which was working good on my windows system Recently I have started using red hat Linux 2.6.9-55.0.12.EL (i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux) The USB is not at all detected in Linux even if I reboot with it attached to the PC. The same can be detected on any Windows system. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahendrakamath
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mounting Hdd

Can anybody help me. How can I retreive a data from my old unix SCSI hdd. My server is having a new SCSI Hdd. What should I do. Somebody was telling to mount the old hdd and take. What should I do to mount this old hdd and copy the data. Rajesh, Tata Coffee Ltd (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tatacoffee
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Old HDD copy to new HDD ? im lost...

Over the last few months the HDD spins louder and louder, so I fiqured its time to replace the HDD. Its been running 24/7/365 since 98 :eek:. yes i said since 98 :D I have an IBM system 43P Model 240. 233 MHz. running AIX Version 4. The current HDD is an IBM DGHS COMP IEC -950 FRU PN#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chevy89rocks
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy my system hdd usb stick from 4GB to 8GB ?

Hi, my router is my Linux embedded device. I have system installed on HDD 4GB usb stick, part1 swap, part2 /opt , part3 data. I need to copy my system to new HDD 8GB usb stick. What is a way for 4GB > 4GB HDD and what for 4GB > 8GB As I remeber, I can copy image of my 4GB HDD usb stick... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB-USB cable between linux and windows computers

Is there an easy way to setup a cross-over cable (USB-USB) between a linux box and a windows PC? My 2 machines are next to each other but I really do not want to keep transfering my files using my USB drive. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Lucid AMD 64 install on USB HDD reboots frequently

Hi all, I am using Ubuntu lucid. It is installed on external USB HDD and I boot into it. Besides other issues, the most significant one is as follows.. I boot in and start working. Everything goes on fine. As soon as I move the HDD, change its position, etc, all icons tuns into a red... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: morningSunshine
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

USB HDD not showing valid partition on one Solaris machine

Hi All, We have got a USB HDD with important data in it. The data has been copied to the disk(formatted ext3) via a LINUX system. The data was supposed to be copied to a second LINUX machine. Surprisingly, it doesn't show up any valid partitions in the new box. dmesg: usb1-3:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bikash Mishra
2 Replies

9. AIX

IBM AIX Internal HDD vs SAN HDD and Oracle

Hi Folks, I am facing an issue with the performance. P4 with 1 processor and 16 GB RAM and SAN HDD = Oracle report takes 25 minutes P5 with 2 processors and 16 GB RAM internall HDD with LPAR = Oracle Report takes 1 hour 15 minutes ( please note I have assigned all the max processors and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies
USLSA(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						  USLSA(4)

NAME
uslsa -- USB support for Silicon Labs CP210x series serial adapters SYNOPSIS
uslsa* at uhub? ucom* at uslsa? HARDWARE
The uslsa driver is known to work with the following adapters: Siemens MC60 Data Cable Suunto USB Serial Adaptor Helicomm IP-Link 1220-DVM Nokia CA-42 USB DESCRIPTION
The uslsa driver provides support for the Silicon Labs USB-to-RS-232 Bridge chip. The device is accessed through the ucom(4) driver which makes it behave like a tty(4). SEE ALSO
tty(4), ucom(4), usb(4) http://www.silabs.com. Silicon Laboratories AN571: CP210x Virtual COM Port Interface.. HISTORY
The uslsa driver appeared in NetBSD 4.0. AUTHORS
The uslsa driver was written by Jonathan A. Kollasch. Code and style was borrowed from existing NetBSD USB-serial drivers. CAVEATS
Settings other than 8 data bits, no parity, and 1 stop bit seem to be refused by the CP2101. BSD
January 17, 2012 BSD