Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Learning - Why does this bit of code fail Post 302481522 by StuartH on Friday 17th of December 2010 06:50:55 PM
Old 12-17-2010
Learning - Why does this bit of code fail

In bash:

Code:
for i in 1 2 3 4 5
do
    tmp_${i}=$i
    echo $i
done

It gives error on executing tmp_1=1, and so on...

Why? If I executed this in prompt, not from script, it shouldn't make a subshell should it?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment please use "code" tags! thanks...

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 12-17-2010 at 08:52 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

32-bit code with gcc

I want to create a 32 bit shared library. I am using following commands 1. gcc -c test1.c 2. ld -b test1.o -o test1.sl But this creates 64 bit shared library. Unix version of the server on which I am working is HP-UX 11.11 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amol.chavan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migrating perl code from 32 to 64 bit OS

Hello all, I am migrating perl code from 32-bit Solaris 2.5 to 64-bit Solaris 9. On which part of code should I concentrate? And please suggest if there is any checklist for the same. Thanks in advance, Devesh. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: devesh
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Porting C++ 32-bit code on 64-bit Solaris

Hi, I am trying to convert 32-bit code to 64-bit. I have defined function int main() { int* l; size_t len1; fun(len1); return 0; } void fun(int* ptr) { cout<<"\nsizeof(ptr)"<<sizeof(ptr); } However while compiling getting error as : Error: Formal argument ptr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_27
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to return fail or pass from shell script on the basis of pl/sql code execution

Hi guys, I am quite new in shell scripting. I am tring to promote some oracle jobs into control-M. In control-M, I am calling a script which establishes a connection with database and execute some procedures. Now I want if that PL/sql Block got failed script should return failure to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok1301
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort -t option causing code to fail need ASCII character

Hello, When I run this UNIX code without the -t option it gives me the desired results. The code keeps the record with the greatest datetime based on the key columns. I sort it first then sort it again with the -u option, that's it. I need to have a variable to specify an ASCII character... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to understand a complex bit of code

Hi, To re-introduce myself, I'm a router guy trying to learn some scripting from the examples in my work place... In a ksh script, one of the script guys wrote the following and I am trying to understand it. I'm hoping someone can explain it to me. The script flow enters a case structure.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
5 Replies

7. Programming

C code 1ULL and bit calculation

I found this block of C code to create combinations of A, T, C & G characters (DNA bases). Can anybody explain this code for me, especially with 1ULL<< and ? 16 for (x = 0; x < 1ULL << (2 * k); ++x) 17 { 18 for (i = 0, y = x; i < k; ++i, y >>= 2) 19 putchar ("ACGT"); 20 }... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Code learning problems

Now I suffer from my programming learning, feeling it is difficult, ask friends how I'm going to learn the code, I am doing penetration now, occasionally need to programming but suffer from themselves, to ask I hope to find a teacher :):) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: planesb
2 Replies

9. Programming

64 bit code debugging using gdb and ddd

Hello I have built our application on AIX 7.1 as a 64 bit application. My queries are as follows: Can a 32bit gdb (v7.6) and ddd (data display debugger - v3.3.12), debug a 64bit executable ? If I have a small 64bit a.exe executable that seems to work. If I have a more complicated executable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: biju64
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Memmove fail on 4 Gb+ raster under RHEL 64 bit

I'm rotating huge image rasters (1+ GB) using a 3-shear algorithm. I rotate 'in-place' after reallocating the raster. A necessary first step is reorganizing the image in the new raster dimensions that will exist after the rotation. RGBA pixels byte packed into uint32. The following code runs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: imagtek
6 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)                                                 General Commands Manual                                                ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)