Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers AWK - number of specified characters in a string Post 302481213 by Olly on Friday 17th of December 2010 02:18:59 AM
Old 12-17-2010
MySQL Thankyou.

Thankyou m1xram, your example is spot on, and code executes the manipulation perfectly!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of occurances of all characters (a-z) in a string

Hi, I am trying out different scripts in PERL. I want to take a line/string as an input from the user and count the number of occurrances of all the alphabets (a..z) in the string. I tried doingit like this : #! /opt/exp/bin/perl print "Enter a string or line : "; $string = <STDIN>; chop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsendhilmani
5 Replies

2. Programming

Count the number of repeated characters in a given string

i have a string "dfasdfasdfadf" i want to count the number of times each character is repeated.. For instance, d is repeated 4 times, f is repeated 4 times.. can u give a program in c (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgmfourms
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of characters in a string

Hi there, I have some user input in a variable called $VAR, and i need to ensure that the string is 5 or less characters .... does anybody know how i can count the characters in the variables ? any help would be great, cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help: Awk to control number of characters per line

Hello all, I have the following problem: My input is two sorted files: file1 >1_19_130_F3 T01220131330230213311013000000110000 >1_23_69_F3 T01200211300200200010000001000000 >1_24_124_F3 T010203113002002111111200002010 file2 >1_19_130_F3 24 18 9 18 23 4 11 4 5 9 5 8 15 20 4 4 7 4... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerSeb
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to extract lines with a defined number of characters

This is my problem, my file (file A) contains the following information: Now, I would like to create a file (file B) containing only the lines with 10 or more characters but less than 20 with their corresponding ID: Then, I need to compare the entries and determine their frequency. Thus, I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to truncate a string to x number characters?

Hello: I have a large file which contains lines like the following: 1/t123ab, &Xx:1:1234:12345:123456@ABCDEFG... at -$100.00% /t is a tab, spaces are as indicated the string "&Xx:1:1234:12345:123456$ABCDEFG..." has a slightly variable number of numbers and letters, but it always starts... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tectona
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help awk/sed: putting a space after numbers:to separate number and characters.

Hi Experts, How to sepearate the list digit with letters : with a space from where the letters begins, or other words from where the digits ended. file 52087mo(enbatl) 52049mo(enbatl) 52085mo(enbatl) 25051mo(enbatl) The output should be looks like: 52087 mo(enbatl) 52049... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in string with awk gsub

Hi I have a source file that looks like a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,t,DISTI(USD),MSRP(USD),DIST(EUR),MSRP(EUR),EMEA-DISTI(USD),EMEA-MSRP(USD),GLOBAl-DISTI(USD),GLOBAL-MSRP(USD),DISTI(GBP), MSRP(GBP) I want to basically change MSRP(USD) to MSRP,USD and DIST(EUR) to DIST,EUR and likewise for all i'm using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print column number while ignoring alpha characters

I have the following script that will print column 4 ("25") when column 1 contains "123". However, I need to ignore the alpha characters that are contained in the input file. If I were to ignore the characters my output would be column 3. What is the best way to print my column of interest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string and number and compare that with another string in awk script

I have below code inside my awk script if ( $0 ~ /SVC IN:/ ) { svc_in=substr( $0,23 , 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) { msg_arr=$0; } } else if ( $0 ~ /^SVC OUT:/ ) { svc_out=substr( $0, 9, 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
6 Replies
Manipulator(3U) 					    InterViews Reference Manual 					   Manipulator(3U)

NAME
Manipulator - base class for defining direct-manipulation semantics SYNOPSIS
#include <Unidraw/manip.h> DESCRIPTION
Tools use manipulator objects to encapsulate the mechanics of direct manipulation. Manipulators turn user input events into an animation sequence that characterize the manipulation. Manipulators abstract the manipulation into three phases: the grasping phase, which occurs at the start of the manipulation and lets the manipulator initialize state it will need in later phases; the manipulating phase, during which the manipulator accepts input events and generates graphical output that characterizes successive frames of the animation; and finally the effect phase, which occurs at the end of the manipulation and lets the manipulator finalize its state. Manipulator is an abstract base class. Subclasses support different manipulation semantics. MANIPULATOR PUBLIC OPERATIONS
virtual void Grasp(Event&) Grasp is called once at the beginning of direct manipulation to allow the manipulator to initialize its internal state based on the initiating event. virtual boolean Manipulating(Event&) Manipulating is called repeatedly during the manipulation whenever a new event arrives, until it returns false. Each call to Manip- ulating should produce a new frame of the animation that characterizes the manipulation. virtual void Effect(Event&) Effect is called once at the end of direct manipulation to allow the manipulator to finalize its internal state based on the last event supplied to the Manipulating operation. virtual void SetViewer(Viewer*) virtual Viewer* GetViewer() virtual void SetTool(Tool*) virtual Tool* GetTool() Get and set the viewer, in which the manipulator generates graphical output, and the tool that created the manipulator. These oper- ations do nothing by default; subclasses that require this information must redefine these operations to assign and retrieve the state they require. MANIPULATOR PROTECTED OPERATIONS
Manipulator() The constructor is protected to disallow instantiation of abstract base class objects. SEE ALSO
Event(3I), Tool(3U), Viewer(3U) Unidraw 1 August 1990 Manipulator(3U)