Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using a loop with cut
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using a loop with cut Post 302481106 by mtomar on Thursday 16th of December 2010 04:19:12 PM
Old 12-16-2010
Hope its not too late :

Code:
du -skh /home/* > /tmp/usr_usage.tmp
echo " Login name  User Full Name  Used Space" 
while read line 
do 
Usage=`echo $line | awk '{print $1}'`
User=`echo $line | awk '{print $2}'| cut -d\/ -f3`
rlname=`grep $User /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f5`
echo "$User     $rlname     $Usage"
done </tmp/usr_usage.tmp
rm /tmp/usr_usage.tmp

But it looks like an assignment..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use loop var i within Cut Command

Hi, In the following bash code rather than cutting at a predefined character I would like to cut at position i (i var from loop). Is this possible? I have tried eval, but either it's not possible or my syntax is wrong. thanks Nick for i in {1..9} do theChar=$(echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: de_la_espada
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut not working in a loop

I have a function "MyPrint" that runs great on a file (BaseData.txt) that has one line of data. If i add rows to the text file it's reading the tFile variable becomes a list of every field 2 in the file. To correct this, i tried to call the function from a loop where i read one line at a time and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KME
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in getting data from a loop using grep and cut

The script is following : for each_rec in <file_name> do count=`cut -c -2 ${each_rec} | grep "45"` echo ${count} if ] then amount=`cut -c 24-35 ${each_rec}` echo ${amount} else echo "failed" fi done And the file looks like below : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut -f1 -d"," to a array and loop

############## SOLVE ############# Hi I would like to do something quite simple but i could not figure it out Example file: BAS,Fast ZeroSPEC,Fast ZeroSPEC,Fast Zero,CAD MASTER SWAP BAS,Fast ZeroSPEC,Fast ZeroSPEC,Fast Zero,CHF SWAP GOTTEX BAS,Fast ZeroSPEC,Fast ZeroSPEC,Fast... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kykyboss023
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX shell script - cut specified line and perform loop

Guys, I have a requirement as below. consider,if i use df command, its getting the below output. file system kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/sample/ 45765 40000 5765 50% / /dev/filesys/ 30000 20000 1000 80% /u .... .... Now i wanted to cut the /u... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command not working in for loop

grep -Fxvf testdata.xls file_GTDA1.xls >file_GTDA.xls SLS_COUNT=`grep 'GTDA_Dly_Sls' file_GTDA.xls |wc -l` PMIX_COUNT=`grep 'GTDA_Dly_Pmix' file_GTDA.xls |wc -l` if ; then var1=`cat file_GTDA.xls|grep 'GTDA_Dly_Sls_'` var4="|" for i in $var1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: renuk
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

CUT command not giving correct result inside loop

Hi, i have a source file and have 3 columns and separated by "|" .i want to split this 3 columns in different variable.When i am executing this values indivisually giving correct result but when the same execute inside a for loop,it's giving issues. Src file(jjj.txt) -------... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using :<<cut / cut to comment out block of bash script

I am using : << cut / cut to comment out block of code. Works fine on few lines of script, then it gives me this cryptic error when I try to comment out about 80 lines. The "warning " is at last line of script. done < results 169 echo "END read all positioning parameters" 170... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
ECHO(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           ECHO(1)

NAME
echo - display a line of text SYNOPSIS
echo [SHORT-OPTION]... [STRING]... echo LONG-OPTION DESCRIPTION
Echo the STRING(s) to standard output. -n do not output the trailing newline -e enable interpretation of backslash escapes -E disable interpretation of backslash escapes (default) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If -e is in effect, the following sequences are recognized: \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c produce no further output e escape f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab NNN byte with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits) xHH byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits) NOTE: your shell may have its own version of echo, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Brian Fox and Chet Ramey. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report echo translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/echo> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) echo invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 ECHO(1)