Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Amend format of output from "last"command Post 302480995 by zaxxon on Thursday 16th of December 2010 10:22:05 AM
Old 12-16-2010
This as a start:
Code:
$> awk '$1==u || /^$/ {next} {print; u=$1}' infile
userabc pts/2 10.253.0.108 Tue Dec 14 09:21 still logged in
userpqr pts/3 10.253.0.39 Wed Jan 13 15:26 - 18:53 (03:26)
userxyz pts/6 10.1.0.23 Thu Jan 14 14:14 still logged in

Having something like:
Code:
...|still|logged|in

will not be very helpful if you tend to import it into a database table for example. There would be some replacing of the blanks between the date in such cases be involved. I have no good short idea to do this currently but I guess someone will have one ready Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

Debian: doubt in "top" %CPU and "sar" output

Hi All, I am running my application on a dual cpu debian linux 3.0 (2.4.19 kernel). For my application: <sar -U ALL> CPU %user %nice %system %idle ... 10:58:04 0 153.10 0.00 38.76 0.00 10:58:04 1 3.88 0.00 4.26 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaduks
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of "total" field in "ls -l" command output

When I do a listing in one particular directory (ls -al) I get: total 43456 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3701594 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3108510 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3070580 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3099733 -rwxrwxr-x 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Format output from "echo" command

Hi, I have written a BASH shell script that contains a lot of "echo" commands to notify the user about what's going on. The script generates a log file that contains a copy of what is seen in the terminal. The echo statements are generally verbose, and thus extend out for quite a ways on one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone help me to convert the date format after get it from the "LAST REBOOT" command.

Can someone help me to convert the date format after get it from the "LAST REBOOT" command. these is the standard output. bash-3.00# last reboot reboot system boot Fri Aug 6 15:07 reboot system down Fri Aug 6 15:04 reboot system boot ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pichitw
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format output from the file to extract "date" section

Hello Team , I have to extract date section from the below file output. The output of the file is as shown below. I have to extract the "" this section from the above output of the file. can anyone please let me know how can we acheive this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolguyamy
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

"links -dump" output format issue

Hi All, I tried searching a lot about this but to no avail. I have a HTML file. I used links -dump file_page.html > text_html.txt What the above command gave me was a filtered text from the HTML file with tags removed. Now, the the output from the above command looked something like this:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 Sparc. How to change Vendor info of SAN disks reported in "format" command?

Greetings! After block level migration using an external appliance, the luns are getting reported as DGC-RAID5 and these luns are infact from the new storage. I have a query on changing the device Vendor info from DGC-RAID5 to HP3par in the format o/p only. AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n_Bhaskar
3 Replies
PTS_HELP(1)						       AFS Command Reference						       PTS_HELP(1)

NAME
pts_help - Displays help for pts commands SYNOPSIS
pts help [-topic <help string>+] [-help] pts h [-t <help string>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The pts help command displays the complete online help entry (short description and syntax statement) for each command operation code specified by the -topic argument. If the -topic argument is omitted, the output includes the first line (name and short description) of the online help entry for every pts command. To list every pts command whose name or short description includes a specified keyword, use the pts apropos command. OPTIONS
-topic <help string>+ Indicates each command for which to display the complete online help entry. Omit the pts part of the command name, providing only the operation code (for example, specify "membership", not "pts membership"). If this argument is omitted, the output briefly describes every pts command. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The online help entry for each pts command consists of the following two or three lines: o The first line names the command and briefly describes its function. o The second line lists aliases for the command, if any. o The final line, which begins with the string "Usage", lists the command's options in the prescribed order. Online help entries use the same symbols (for example, brackets) as the reference pages in this document. EXAMPLES
The following command displays the online help entry for the pts membership command: % pts help membership pts membership: list membership of a user or group aliases: groups Usage: pts membership -nameorid <user or group name or id>+ [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-force] [-help] PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_apropos(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 PTS_HELP(1)