Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Expect Script sending password with $ and symbols Post 302479999 by Corona688 on Monday 13th of December 2010 05:23:28 PM
Old 12-13-2010
Try escaping the $ like \$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password changing in a Script (shell and expect)

Hi, Does anybody know how to change the password on multiple servers with a script. I have 300 Sun boxes and the password expiry is set to 30 days. Im in a process to build a script using expect. Need a help from an expert who has already done it. Regards, Vinod (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chellam
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Script....encrypt password and use

Could someone please help me...I have an expect script. There's a need for a log in during the script and a password is required...right now the password is just a variable in the expect script...what would be the best way to put that in an encrypted flat file and have the expect script pull the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubs0729
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending ssh password in a script

Is there any way to send password in a sh script, to establish a ssh connection with the remote server, without having shared the public key? The command I'm currently using is in my script is !#/bin/sh ... ssh -l user remotehost "ls -l" I have shared the public key of the local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: farahzaiba
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Encrypt the password ,source it in a expect script...!!

Hello folks I have a conf file ,say 'pass.conf' ,which is storing ascii password : PASS1111. I need to encrypt this password once and store it in a file. I ,then need to write a script which would read this encrypted password and decrypts it.The o/p o this script shud be this decrypted... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Password to SSH without using expect in a Script

How can I pass password in SSH command without using expect in a shell program. I don't have expect installed on my Solaris server. #!/bin/bash ssh user@hotname (how to supply pass in script?:wall:) Experts please help its very urgent. Shrawan Kumar Sahu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss135r
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Odd behaviour with Expect password update script

Hi there. I've been forced by circumstance to write an expect script to handle password updates on a number of servers. There's a mix of Solaris 8, 9, 10, RedHat and Ubuntu. There's no chance the client will allow us to hook them up to a directory, so we have to make do. This script is mostly... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: whetu
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP or scp with password in a batch script without using SSH keys and expect script

Dear All, I have a requirement where I have to SFTP or SCP a file in a batch script. Unfortunately, the destination server setup is such that it doesn't allow for shell command line login. So, I am not able to set up SSH keys. My source server is having issues with Expect. So, unable to use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss112233
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script not expecting the password prompt

I have a script that does an SSH into a remote node. It should expect the prompt and send the password. #!/usr/bin/expect set user ; set pass ; spawn ssh $user@E-Internal expect { -re "RSA key fingerprint" {send "yes\r"} timeout... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Script Not Sending Password - Other Scripts OK

I am building FTP Script on my Bluehost VPS Server. I have several and all work great except this one.... I think there are two issues .. One with the command and One with "$" in the password. #!/bin/sh HOST=invtransfer@52.44.151.220 USER=invtransfer PASSWORD=XXX$XXX - $ is real in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wrjames2
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script not passing password / commands ??

Newbie here. My goal is to have the expect script log into the Ubuntu 18.04 server and run two commands (lsb_release -a and ip addr) and eventually pipe the output/results to a file. For now, I would be happy to get this one command or two to run successfully. How to fix this? #!/usr/bin/expect ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacob600
3 Replies
MKPASSWD(1)						      General Commands Manual						       MKPASSWD(1)

NAME
mkpasswd - generate new password, optionally apply it to a user SYNOPSIS
mkpasswd [ args ] [ user ] INTRODUCTION
mkpasswd generates passwords and can apply them automatically to users. mkpasswd is based on the code from Chapter 23 of the O'Reilly book "Exploring Expect". USAGE
With no arguments, mkpasswd returns a new password. mkpasswd With a user name, mkpasswd assigns a new password to the user. mkpasswd don The passwords are randomly generated according to the flags below. FLAGS
The -l flag defines the length of the password. The default is 9. The following example creates a 20 character password. mkpasswd -l 20 The -d flag defines the minimum number of digits that must be in the password. The default is 2. The following example creates a password with at least 3 digits. mkpasswd -d 3 The -c flag defines the minimum number of lowercase alphabetic characters that must be in the password. The default is 2. The -C flag defines the minimum number of uppercase alphabetic characters that must be in the password. The default is 2. The -s flag defines the minimum number of special characters that must be in the password. The default is 1. The -p flag names a program to set the password. By default, /etc/yppasswd is used if present, otherwise /bin/passwd is used. The -2 flag causes characters to be chosen so that they alternate between right and left hands (qwerty-style), making it harder for anyone watching passwords being entered. This can also make it easier for a password-guessing program. The -v flag causes the password-setting interaction to be visible. By default, it is suppressed. EXAMPLE
The following example creates a 15-character password that contains at least 3 digits and 5 uppercase characters. mkpasswd -l 15 -d 3 -C 5 SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology mkpasswd is in the public domain. NIST and I would appreciate credit if this program or parts of it are used. 22 August 1994 MKPASSWD(1)