Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Restore and upgrade concurrently Post 302478676 by manifestox on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 02:36:59 PM
Old 12-08-2010
Thats a negative daveisme.

Plus in imo, its probably best to split it up in two different pieces.
On a plus side, with a decent nim server and seemingly new hardware the SP updates should be relatively fast like in 10 minutes.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing multiple Oracle procedures concurrently

I am using KSH with an OS of AIX Version 5.3. From my shell script, that will be scheduled thorugh a CRON, I need to execute 2 Oracle stored procedures concurrently. If we execute them one at a time, the total execution time takes 4 hours or more. Since they are not dependent on each other and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: multidogzoomom
6 Replies

2. Programming

Run 4-processes concurrently

How can i run a back ground process.... I.e for example by using fork() i need to run seperate 4 background processes.. How can send a process to background ??? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ugp
9 Replies

3. Programming

how to run socket programme and file management concurrently

hi i have a server socket programme which is running in HP/UX system and then need to add a function about refreshing memory every miniute because the socket programme is blocked , i have no idea about this what should i do thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benbenpig
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running same script multiple times concurrently...

Hi, I was hoping someone would be able to help me out. I've got a Python script that I need to run 60 times concurrently (with the number added as an argument each time) via nightly cron. I figured that this would work: 30 1 * * * for i in $(seq 0 59); do $i \&; done However, it seems to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckhowe
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trimming files concurrently

I have a file which is written by an ongoing process (actually it is a logfile). I want to trim this logfile with a script and save the trimmed portion to another file or display it to <stdout> (it gets picked up there by another process). Fortunately my logfile has a known format (XML) and i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
3 Replies

6. AIX

mksysb restore - Wrong OS level for restore

Hi all, I am still working on my mksysb restore. My latest issue is during an alt_disk_install from tape I got the following error after all the data had been restored. 0505-143 alt_disk_install: Unable to match mksysb level 5.2.0 with any available boot images. Please correct this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running function or command concurrently in a bash script

I currently run a script over a vpnc tunnel to back-up my data to a remote server. However for a number of reasons the tunnel often collapses. If I manually restore the tunnel then the whole thing can continue, but I want to add into my script a section whereby while the transfer is taking place,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_bridges
8 Replies

8. Solaris

restore metastat configuration after solaris upgrade

Greetings How can i restore metastat db after a solaris upgrade (9 to 10)? will it work if i save and restore /etc/vfstab and /etc/lvm/md.cf file? root@netad# metastat d35: Mirror Submirror 0: d38 State: Okay Submirror 1: d39 State: Okay Pass:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif_islam
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run script concurrently

Hi all, I have one script. Its job is to get 1 file from dirA and 1 file from dirB as parameters for another python script. However, there are a lot of files in both dir A and B, so running this scripts really takes a lot of time. So I wonder if there are any ways that I can do this faster,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoyomano
6 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-a suffix_length] [-b byte_count[k|m]] [-l line_count] [-p pattern] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, split reads from the standard input. The options are as follows: -a suffix_length Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b byte_count[k|m] Create smaller files byte_count bytes in length. If ``k'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If ``m'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. -l line_count Create smaller files n lines in length. -p pattern The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which is interpreted as an extended regular expression. The matching line will be the first line of the next output file. This option is incompatible with the -b and -l options. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the name argument is not specified, the file is split into lexically ordered files named with the prefix ``x'' and with suffixes as above. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE environment variables affect the execution of split as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The split utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The maximum line length for matching patterns is 65536. BSD
August 21, 2005 BSD