Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to see actual filename that File Descriptor is pointing to for a given processID? Post 302478270 by kchinnam on Tuesday 7th of December 2010 01:15:41 PM
Old 12-07-2010
jlliagre I think you are right. Where can I find reference information that could explain what you said.
If its just waiting to be closed, even after few minutes same File Descriptors that are pointing to base disk location are still there. Its as if they are there for some purpose..

Last edited by kchinnam; 12-07-2010 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: more info

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor Help

What is a file descriptor in Unix?? How to find a file descriptor of a file in Unix?? Does it have anything to do with the Inode numbers?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Descriptor

Hello All, Im opening a file desciptor in perl and sending data using print CMD "$xyz". is there a limit to the length of the string that I can give to this CMD at a time. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rimser9
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor

Hi What the below path contains? /proc/<pid>/fd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a user interface pointing to a file?

I have to create a user interface in which user can easily update ,delete or insert a new record which is pointing to a file in AIX Server? Using awk,sed ican update ,modify the file. how to create a link to userlike GUI(without using Tomcat,IIS) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open the file and replace the variable with actual value

Hi, i have a sql file named sample.sql. The query is given below. select count(*) from $TABLE_NAME In the main script, i am sourcing this sql. I need to replace the $TABLE_NAME with actual value, before running the query. How can i achieve that? The logic i tried is given below:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathappriyan
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Before I delete any file in Unix, How can I check no open file handle is pointing to that file?

I know how to check if any file has a unix process using a file by looking at 'lsof <fullpath/filename>' command. I think using lsof is very expensive. Also to make it accurate we need to inlcude fullpath of the file. Is there another command that can tell if a file has a truely active... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unlink and copy actual file

Hello, I have a set of directories, which has inside them, symbolic links to some files. What i would like to do is to covert the links into actual files, i.e. remove the link and copy the actual file here... I tried to see unlink command but i think all it does is delete the link, is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasbala
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting with file descriptor

hello, Someone can help me with redirectors? I am writing this script in bash enviroment on Fedora: exec 4<> /dev/tcp/10.10.11.30/5000 #open socket in input/output strings<&4 >file.txt & I send file descriptor 4 to string command to purge data stream from special char while come from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rattoeur
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Actual SQL instead of using a file from within a shell script

I am very noobish to UNIX, our guy is on vacation so I am trying to take up some slack while he is away. Typically when we use sql from within a shell script, we do so from a file containing the sql. Example: $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus $ORA_DBCU/$ORA_DBCP @${cron_dir}/${report_file}.sql ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: biobill
10 Replies
sys_attrs_pwrmgr(5)						File Formats Manual					       sys_attrs_pwrmgr(5)

NAME
sys_attrs_pwrmgr - pwrmgr subsystem attributes DESCRIPTION
This reference page lists and describes attributes for the Power Manager (pwrmgr) kernel subsystem. To change these attributes so that they take effect each time you boot the system, you create a stanza file with the attribute settings you want and then use the sysconfigdb com- mand to update the system configuration database with the information in this file. See the EXAMPLES section for more information about this process. Refer to the sys_attrs(5) reference page for an general introduction to the topic of kernel subsystem attributes. A value that enables (1) or disables (0) CPU slowdown after the CPU becomes idle. A value that enables (1) or disables (0) all power management functions (for CPU, disks, and graphics hardware). The number of min- utes to wait before powering down registered disks after they become idle. A value that enables (1) or disables (0) disk spindown after registered disks become idle. The number of minutes before entering DPMS off mode after display hardware has become idle. If you specify 0 for this attribute, DPMS off mode is disabled. A value that enables (1) or disables (0) Display Power Management Signaling (DPMS) modes for graphics display hardware. The number of minutes before entering DPMS standby mode after display hardware has become idle. If you specify 0 for this attribute, DPMS standby mode is disabled. The number of minutes before entering DPMS suspend mode after display hardware has become idle. If you specify 0 for this attribute, DPMS suspend mode is disabled. EXAMPLES
The following example shows a sample stanza file named power_mgr.stanza: pwrmgr: default_pwrmgr_state=1 cpu_slowdown=1 disk_spindown=1 disk_dwell_time=20 graphics_powerdown=1 graphics_standby_dwell=5 graphics_suspend_dwell=10 graphics_off_dwell=15 This file: Enables power management in general, plus all three of the power management options for idle hardware (CPU slowdown, disk spin- down, and DPMS modes for graphics displays) Specifies a wait of 20 minutes before spinning down a disk after it has become idle Specifies a wait of 5, 10, and 15 minutes before entering DPMS standby, suspend, and off modes, respectively, after graphics display hardware has become idle See stanza(4) for more information about stanza files. The following command updates the /etc/sysconfigtab database with the information in the stanza file: # sysconfigdb -a -f power_mgr.stanza pwrmgr See sysconfigdb(8) for more information about using this command to update the system configuration database. SEE ALSO
Commands: sysconfigdb(8) Files: stanza(4) Others: sys_attrs(5) System Administration sys_attrs_pwrmgr(5)