Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Menu Script problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Menu Script problem Post 302477955 by codecaine on Monday 6th of December 2010 09:17:11 PM
Old 12-06-2010
There is also a select command for BASH to build menus. Here is a example

The select command allows you to create bash script with menus. The select command uses the PS3 value for the prompts. Each menu items is separated by spaces in a variables as you can see in my OPTIONS variable. The beginning of the command is select a variable name for checking the options and a list of menu options. For example: select any_variable_name in menu_options. If you do not add break commands within the select command it will be a infinite it loop and you have to terminate using ctrl+c. Below I have posted a example of using the select command.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Purpose: This program shows you a example of using the select command to create menus
# Author: codecaine aka Jerome Scott II 
# Date: 8/10/2010

PS3='Select a choice: '

OPTIONS='www.freelancecode.net www.pro9ramming.com Exit'

select var in $OPTIONS
do
    if [ $var = 'www.freelancecode.net' ]; then
        echo You choosed www.freelancecode.net
        break
    elif [ $var = 'www.pro9ramming.com' ]; then
        echo You choosed www.pro9ramming.com
        break
    elif [ $var = 'Exit' ]; then
        break
    fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting problem - when the file is not found i want it to return to the menu

when the file is not found i want it to return to the menu, however it carries out the next line when i hit a key I know its probably something simple can anyone help? here is my pause function: function pause(){ read -s -n 1 -p "Press any key to return to Menu . . ." echo } SCRIPT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alendrin
2 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Start Menu Problem

I posted this at another forum 25 minutes ago and it has only been looked at once. I have much more faith in this forum, as I've had some good help in the shell scripting forum. So I'll just repost this here. I don't know if this is an (K)Ubuntu specific problem, but that is what I use. Problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: notsomeone
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ive got a problem with menu sub commands

Ive got a problem fron a menu script where: If i choose option 1 it will run a command for instance option 1 will run another script that will grep for a certain process name also using the If command. IE if chicken process is present echo cluck cluck, but if no chicken then echo no eggs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmccull
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script menu problem

Hi there, I am new to Unix and at the moment I am trying to solve my assignment that is to create a script for the program to prompt user to type three codes, from user point of view it should be done by typing codes separating them by spaces. Then program displays a menu with these three... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dannel
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripting menu problem

Hi there, I am new to Unix and at the moment I am trying to solve my assignment that is to create a script for the program to prompt user to type three codes, from user point of view it should be done by typing codes separating them by spaces. Then program displays a menu with these three... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dannel
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu in Menu script issue

Problem: I am trying to create a menu in a menu script and I am running into an issue with the calculator portion of the script. I am first presented with the ==Options Menu== which all 5 options working correctly. Now comes the fun part. I select option 1 which takes me to my ==Calculator... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iDdraig
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script menu problem

I have tried searching the forum but i haven't found a solution for this. I have a shell script that presents the users with menus. The menus branch out to sub menus. It is all hunky dory as long as i traverse forward. But if i am in a sub menu and return to the previous menu and choose any... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution Problem with dispalying file content using menu driven script

HI All.. below is my menu options script. in option 2,3 and 4 im giving input and they are saving into their respective text file. problem is when im trying to "cat" those files in options 7,8 and 9 im not getting the output. no respective file contents are displaying on screen. but if i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
1 Replies

9. Linux

Problem with menu

Everything in the following script works fine, except the jobs command. It works when the script is not running, but does not work in the script itself and I cannot figure out why. Any help would be greatly appreciated. using bash shell clear while echo " A: Jobs" echo " B: PS" echo " C:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: silencep77
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Gnome 3.28.3 menu item dissapears under the system menu

I installed CentOS 8 with Gnome 3.28.2 and I noticed that the "switch user" menu item disappeared from under the system menu of Gnome classic (Both X11 & Wayland). I checked google and this problem seems to have a history going back several releases of Gnome. Unfortunately, I never found a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bodisha
1 Replies
Menu::Item(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     Menu::Item(3)

NAME
Tk::Menu::Item - Base class for Menu items SYNOPSIS
require Tk::Menu::Item; my $but = $menu->Button(...); $but->configure(...); my $what = $but->cget(); package Whatever; require Tk::Menu::Item; @ISA = qw(Tk::Menu::Item); sub PreInit { my ($class,$menu,$info) = @_; $info->{'-xxxxx'} = ... my $y = delete $info->{'-yyyy'}; } DESCRIPTION
Tk::Menu::Item is the base class from which Tk::Menu::Button, Tk::Menu::Cascade, Tk::Menu::Radiobutton and Tk::Menu::Checkbutton are derived. There is also a Tk::Menu::Separator. Constructors are declared so that $menu->Button(...) etc. do what you would expect. The "-label" option is pre-processed allowing ~ to be prefixed to the character to derive a "-underline" value. Thus $menu->Button(-label => 'Goto ~Home',...) is equivalent to $menu->Button(-label => 'Goto Home', -underline => 6, ...) The "Cascade" menu item creates a sub-menu and accepts these options: -menuitems A list of items for the sub-menu. Within this list (which is also accepted by Menu and Menubutton) the first two elements of each item should be the "constructor" name and the label: -menuitems => [ [Button => '~Quit', -command => [destroy => $mw]], [Checkbutton => '~Oil', -variable => $oil], ] -postcommand A callback to be invoked before posting the menu. -tearoff Specifies whether sub-menu can be torn-off or not. -menuvar Scalar reference that will be set to the newly-created sub-menu. The returned object is currently a blessed reference to an array of two items: the containing Menu and the 'label'. Methods "configure" and "cget" are mapped onto underlying "entryconfigure" and "entrycget". The main purpose of the OO interface is to allow derived item classes to be defined which pre-set the options used to create a more basic item. BUGS
This OO interface is very new. Using the label as the "key" is a problem for separaror items which don't have one. The alternative would be to use an index into the menu but that is a problem if items are deleted (or inserted other than at the end). There should probably be a PostInit entry point too, or a more widget like defered 'configure'. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-10 Menu::Item(3)