Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What does shell check
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions What does shell check Post 302477538 by Blockshelf on Sunday 5th of December 2010 06:21:33 PM
Old 12-05-2010
Thank you very much that makes more sense then what I have explained through the paper provided. I have went over it and have my answer. My next hurdle is bc calculating a small float calculation. I haven't used bc and I am not sure how to code it. I am familiar with some other coding but don't know where to start on this one. A link to something or another great explanation would be awesome.

I need to create a script that converts pounds to kilos. I need to record the input from the user for pounds calculate it post the conversion and prompt again for pounds. He wants me to use kilos=pounds/2.2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check length of Shell Variable

I am using a Korn Shell script.. I need to verify the length of a variable.. ie number=12345 I need then to check 12345 to make sure its no longer than 5 digits... Can you help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check my first shell script

I have written the below script to determine whether a string is palindrome or not ? But its not working, any help to debug it ? I am new to this forum but when I searched for my question, I found that many people refused to answer this question thinking that its Homework question, Therefore I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gridview
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check any MQ is up or down using shell programming

Hi, I want to know that if there are any methods, which check the MQ, is up or down. Actually I have to write one job which checks the status of any one MQ is up or down. I don't know if there is any method of MQ, which tells the MQ, is up. Could u please give some link for the study... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rinku
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to Shell scripting: Can you check it?

I am trying to write a script to get all the html files under a source directory and and for each html file, run a program with html file as an argument. This program generates an output which I need to save as htmlfilename.txt ( right now i was trying to print it on the command line) ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapient
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

IP check with shell script

hi guys ..newbie here i would like to create a simple script tat will detect wether the machine has IP or not ... but it seems that my script doesnt really work it kept rebooting... i set this script during boot so that it will check else it will reboot it a shell script thou... ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bladez
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script to check the condition.

:) Hi, I want to script for this scenerio, OSR Settings Scenario : We are looking to find all the *.a files from the following locations in the filesystem of a server. OSR Directories /etc /bin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /var/adm These *.a files should have the permissions on... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthilinux
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on shell script to check line

Hi Scripting Gurus, Can someone help to transform the below logic into a shell script, might be easy for some of you. I have a file with below text, I need if the line has the ":" and the above to it is not a blank line should print " <text>: is incorrect format" Apple: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: usyseng
3 Replies

8. Solaris

How to check if a shell is already running ?

Hi, I put this at start of my shell (korn shell) to be sure that the shell is not already running and sometimes it fails and says that it is already running which is not true ! sleep 1 /usr/bin/ps -ef | /usr/bin/grep "$0" | /usr/bin/egrep -v grep>$LOGDIR/$0.res isup=$(cat $LOGDIR/$0.res|wc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionassedo
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check arguments in shell???

for example I have make target file is optional. So can I check whether there is or no? I tried if test $# -eq 1 then path=$1 else path=$2 fi But it doesnt work properlu ;( Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manueldo
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can somebody help me check over my shell scripts??

I been having a lot of trouble trying to start up a 3rd party application in Solaris 7 but it seams that its missing entry's when trying to run the files so maybe the start shells scripts have errors and maybe thatr is what is causing the issues I have added two links to the shells can anyone check... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wpgn
5 Replies
mktemp(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						mktemp(3C)

NAME
mktemp - make a unique file name from a template SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> char *mktemp(char *template); DESCRIPTION
The mktemp() function replaces the contents of the string pointed to by template with a unique file name, and returns template. The string in template should look like a file name with six trailing 'X's; mktemp() will replace the 'X's with a character string that can be used to create a unique file name. Only 26 unique file names per thread can be created for each unique template. RETURN VALUES
The mktemp() function returns the pointer template. If a unique name cannot be created, template points to a null string. ERRORS
No errors are defined. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Generate a filename. The following example replaces the contents of the "template" string with a 10-character filename beginning with the characters "file" and returns a pointer to the "template" string that contains the new filename. #include <stdlib.h> ... char *template = "/tmp/fileXXXXXX"; char *ptr; ptr = mktemp(template); USAGE
Between the time a pathname is created and the file opened, it is possible for some other process to create a file with the same name. The mkstemp(3C) function avoids this problem and is preferred over this function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mkstemp(3C), tmpfile(3C), tmpnam(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Sep 2004 mktemp(3C)