Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UUCP connections
Operating Systems SCO UUCP connections Post 302477115 by jgt on Friday 3rd of December 2010 09:42:35 AM
Old 12-03-2010
UUCP uses lock files. My guess is that you have so many connection attempts that a lock file for a previous session still exists when the next connection attempts to use the same tty.
Is there some reason that you cannot use ftp or email?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

UUCP Vulnerability found in Linux

NEWS: UUCP vulnerability found in the command line argument handling of uucp which could be exploited by a local user to obtain uucp uid/gid. http://www.linuxhelp.net/article.pl?sid=02/02/20/0335219&mode=&threshold= (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: killerserv
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UUCP and logs

Hi there Firstly, can someone tell me if UUCP is necessary when using Mailx. I don't know much about UUCP other than it is a form of networking that allows files and electronic mail to be transfered. Secondly, Unix keeps a log of the last time users have logged on. When I look at the user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GW01
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bellmail: lockf(/usr/spool/mail/uucp): permission denied

I keep getting the following errors and I don't know where to look to resolve the problem. Any ideas? bellmail: lockf(/usr/spool/mail/uucp): permission denied bellmail: lockf(/usr/spool/mail/root): permission denied bellmail: lockf(/usr/spool/mail/daemon): no such file or directory.... AIX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Docboyeee
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

uucp (UNIX) problem

Hi ! I couldnot execute Unix uucp command for copying file from Unix to Unix machine, whenever I am using the following command : $uucp file_name system!/destination Error is "Bad System Name" Let me know the way. From, Niraj Gopal Sharan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niraj Gopal Sha
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UUCP on Linux (Pink Tie )

Please help I am having difficulty getting uucp to send or receive a file from a remote site. The remote site settings are correct as they have been tested and tried on other systems. When I try and send a file the modem dials and connects to the remote site uulog shows that the login is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: casioman
3 Replies

6. Solaris

uupick and uucp

Hi, Files are being transfered using uucp command in the directory /usr/spool/uucppublic/receive/wes/cboas7/CB/abc.txt /usr/spool/uucppublic/receive/wes/nrserv3/NR/abc.txt When I was using solaris 2.6, I was not getting any error while changing the file ownership or file permission. Now I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: surjyap
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

UUCP configuration

Hi all, Please Tell me how to configure the sendmail.cf file for UUCP.And which all other files will be affected ?? Do I need to do some initial set-up ?? I am using HP UX 11.23 and sendmail 8.13.3. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DesertStorm
1 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

UUCP attack?

Is this an attack attempt? I got an e-mail from 'uucp Admin' last night and again this morning: What does it mean and what can I do about it? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctafret
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UUCP Transfer Files to Old UNIX Computer

I recently installed AT&T UNIX SysV, on an old Pentium computer. I now find that I am unable to transfer files to and from the computer. I previously posted about problems mounting a floppy drive, but that is just bringing up more problems about the filesystem format. JGT brought to my attention... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrentBANKS
27 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UUCP HELP for a desperate new user

Hello, I have a unique situation where I must pass along critical & time-sensitive emails to a group of seven different people. Every person with whom I communicate EXCEPT ONE uses a standard IP based ".com" email address. The one exception is a gentleman who will NOT budge and create a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bell02
1 Replies
SHLOCK(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SHLOCK(1)

NAME
shlock -- create or verify a lock file for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
shlock -f lockfile [-p PID] [-u] [-v] DESCRIPTION
The shlock command can create or verify a lock file on behalf of a shell or other script program. When it attempts to create a lock file, if one already exists, shlock verifies that it is or is not valid. If valid, shlock will exit with a non-zero exit code. If invalid, shlock will remove the lock file, and create a new one. shlock uses the rename(2) system call to make the final target lock file, which is an atomic operation (i.e. "dot locking", so named for this mechanism's original use for locking system mailboxes). It puts the process ID ("PID") from the command line into the requested lock file. shlock verifies that an extant lock file is still valid by using kill(2) with a zero signal to check for the existence of the process that holds the lock. The -f argument with lockfile is always required. The -p option with PID is given when the program is to create a lock file; when absent, shlock will simply check for the validity of the lock file. The -u option causes shlock to read and write the PID as a binary pid_t, instead of as ASCII, to be compatible with the locks created by UUCP. The -v option causes shlock to be verbose about what it is doing. RETURN VALUES
A zero exit code indicates a valid lock file. EXAMPLES
BOURNE SHELL #!/bin/sh lckfile=/tmp/foo.lock if shlock -f ${lckfile} -p $$ then # do what required the lock rm ${lckfile} else echo Lock ${lckfile} already held by `cat ${lckfile}` fi C SHELL #!/bin/csh -f set lckfile=/tmp/foo.lock shlock -f ${lckfile} -p $$ if ($status == 0) then # do what required the lock rm ${lckfile} else echo Lock ${lckfile} already held by `cat ${lckfile}` endif The examples assume that the filesystem where the lock file is to be created is writeable by the user, and has space available. HISTORY
shlock was written for the first Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) software distribution, released in March 1986. The algorithm was sug- gested by Peter Honeyman, from work he did on HoneyDanBer UUCP. AUTHOR
Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org> BUGS
Does not work on NFS or other network filesystem on different systems because the disparate systems have disjoint PID spaces. Cannot handle the case where a lock file was not deleted, the process that created it has exited, and the system has created a new process with the same PID as in the dead lock file. The lock file will appear to be valid even though the process is unrelated to the one that cre- ated the lock in the first place. Always remove your lock files after you're done. BSD
June 29, 1997 BSD