Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting run script with booting process Post 302477100 by shubhig15 on Friday 3rd of December 2010 08:56:11 AM
Old 12-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbatte1
If you don't have anything to do at shutdown (or other change in run level) then don't bother with writing anything to recognise the start/stop parameter. The S99quotes / S96oracle are just examples of what we have, so I would not expect you to find them, so don't worry. Smilie

Assuming you are in /etc/rc2.d or /etc/rc.d/rc2.d or whatever you found, issue something like:
Code:
ln -s S99script-name /etc/rc.d/init.d/script-name

This should mean that it will be picked up next boot. With S99..... it will be run very near the end of the boot, which is usually okay, but feel free to lower the number if that is appropriate, but be aware that services you may rely on (e.g. mouting filesystems, starting TCP/IP etc.) may not have been started if you set it as S01script-name.

Does that help?

Robin

hi..i want to know where i should write this code..
Code:
ln -s S99script-name /etc/rc.d/init.d/script-name

should i write this code in my shell script and save the script name as S99script1.sh..and after that put this script in etc/rc2.d..and when i boot system this script automatically copy file in respective folder...then this script is working or not?...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Run perl script in the current process

I have a question regarding running perl in the current process. I shall demonstrate with an example. Look at this. sh-2.05b$ pwd /tmp sh-2.05b$ cat test.sh #! /bin/sh cd /etc sh-2.05b$ ./test.sh sh-2.05b$ pwd /tmp sh-2.05b$ . ./test.sh sh-2.05b$ pwd /etc sh-2.05b$ So... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I run a process under particular ID?

I have a script that needs to run under ID say "xyz". the way I do normally is to "su" to the id, enter the password of "xyz" and run the process. However, is there any way run the process under "xyz" without "su" to the ID. A person with root access would be able to run any process under any ID as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ucbus
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Startup Script "run process with Timer"

Hi I have a script that execute every X minute for checking new files in a folder and converting to pdf. Is there any way to start this script automatically on linux startup?. I use sleep function in script with infinite loop. while do killall -u `whoami` -q soffice soffice... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zawmn83
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script to run a converter process

Hi, I have about 500 binary files. I have a command to convert these files to text. The command usage is: converter bin-file txt-file I have to input the name of the binary file and the name of the text file. I'm thinking something like this will work, but not really sure: for file in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor the process system when a process from user takes longer than 15 min run.

get email notification from from system when a process from XXXX user takes longer than 15 min run.Let me know the time estimation for the same. hi ,any one please tell me , how to write a script to get email notification from system when a process from as mentioned above a xxxx user takes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kirankrishna3
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a particular process

Hi I have a perl script where i created 3 nmap scans and the results will output to a text file. But when i run the code the first ip address gets scanned then the others after, but i want to be able to choose which ip address to scan. Here is my code: (`nmap -v -r 99.xxx.xxx -p... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingbp
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

run this script as a daemon process

Hi, HI , I have a simple script that moves files from one folder to another folder, I have already done the open-ssh server settings and the script is working fine and is able to transfer the files from one folder to another but right now I myself execute this script by using my creditianls to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nks342
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to run a process through shell script.?

hey , i have to write a script to run a process through shell script and if the process runs successfully then return success. i used nohup to start the process but nothing occured . #!/bin/sh nohup ./cvt -f MediationSources.xml & can anyone pls help me Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramsavi
3 Replies
init.d(4)																 init.d(4)

NAME
init.d - initialization and termination scripts for changing init states SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d /etc/init.d is a directory containing initialization and termination scripts for changing init states. These scripts are linked when appro- priate to files in the rc?.d directories, where `?' is a single character corresponding to the init state. See init(1M) for definitions of the states. The service management facility (see smf(5)) is the preferred mechanism for service initiation and termination. The init.d and rc?.d direc- tories are obsolete, and are provided for compatibility purposes only. Applications launched from these directories by svc.startd(1M) are incomplete services, and will not be restarted on failure. File names in rc?.d directories are of the form [SK]nn<init.d filename>, where S means start this job, K means kill this job, and nn is the relative sequence number for killing or starting the job. When entering a state (init S,0,2,3,etc.) the rc[S0-6] script executes those scripts in /etc/rc[S0-6].d that are prefixed with K followed by those scripts prefixed with S. When executing each script in one of the /etc/rc[S0-6] directories, the /sbin/rc[S0-6] script passes a single argument. It passes the argument 'stop' for scripts prefixed with K and the argument 'start' for scripts prefixed with S. There is no harm in applying the same sequence number to multiple scripts. In this case the order of execution is deterministic but unspecified. Guidelines for selecting sequence numbers are provided in README files located in the directory associated with that target state. For example, /etc/rc[S0-6].d/README. Absence of a README file indicates that there are currently no established guidelines. Do not put /etc/init.d in your $PATH. Having this directory in your $PATH can cause unexpected behavior. The programs in /etc/init.d are associated with init state changes and, under normal circumstances, are not intended to be invoked from a command line. Example 1: Example of /sbin/rc2. When changing to init state 2 (multi-user mode, network resources not exported), /sbin/rc2 is initiated by the svc.startd(1M) process. The following steps are performed by /sbin/rc2. 1. In the directory /etc/rc2.d are files used to stop processes that should not be running in state 2. The filenames are prefixed with K. Each K file in the directory is executed (by /sbin/rc2) in alphanumeric order when the system enters init state 2. See example below. 2. Also in the rc2.d directory are files used to start processes that should be running in state 2. As in Step 1, each S file is executed. Assume the file /etc/init.d/netdaemon is a script that will initiate networking daemons when given the argument 'start', and will terminate the daemons if given the argument 'stop'. It is linked to /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon, and to /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon. The file is executed by /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon start when init state 2 is entered and by /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon stop when shutting the system down. svcs(1), init(1M), svc.startd(1M), svccfg(1M), smf(5) Solaris now provides an expanded mechanism, which includes automated restart, for applications historically started via the init script mechanism. The Service Management Facility (introduced in smf(5)) is the preferred delivery mechanism for persistently running applica- tions. Existing init.d scripts will, however, continue to be executed according to the rules in this manual page. The details of execution in relation to managed services are available in svc.startd(1M). On earlier Solaris releases, a script named with a suffix of '.sh' would be sourced, allowing scripts to modify the environment of other scripts executed later. This behavior is no longer supported; for altering the environment in which services are run, see the setenv sub- command in svccfg(1M). /sbin/rc2 has references to the obsolescent rc.d directory. These references are for compatibility with old INSTALL scripts. New INSTALL scripts should use the init.d directory for related executables. The same is true for the shutdown.d directory. 17 Aug 2005 init.d(4)