Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use of -z in while loop condition Post 302476950 by R.T. on Thursday 2nd of December 2010 11:57:55 PM
Old 12-03-2010
Things inside brackets are a "test". -z tests "$name" to see if its length is zero.

from "man test":
-z String1
Returns a True exit value if the length of the String1 variable is
0 (zero).
This User Gave Thanks to R.T. For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What condition to be put in the while loop?

i have got a file where the env command is appended 5 times. i have to now look for the username and display it in the form of 1) PWD=/home/lee.ballancore 2) USER=lee.ballancore 3) MAIL=/var/spool/mail/lee.ballancore 4) LOGNAME=lee.ballancore 5) HOME=/home/lee.ballancore 6)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nehaquick
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing For Loop condition

How do I test the return condition in the script if no files are found: for file in `Find ${LANDING_FILE_DIR}${BTIME_FILENAME_PATTERN}` do ... .. done I want to capture the return code so I can echo the error or condition. Using if ] always returns zero no matter where it's placed. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavsman
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i put the condition in for loop for the below.

i have the equation like below 07:35:07 ( AB : 2319f.ab * 22) + ( AB : 2320f.ab * 22.03 ) + ( AB :2321f.ab * 22.07 ) ...... N i want put ":" as a delimiter and break the equation like below 2319f.ab * 22 2320f.ab *22.03 2321f.ab * 22.07 . . N i know the number of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

issues with a condition in a while loop

Hi, I am facing issues with test condition. I had a compound condition to write for both if and while, In one of the texts i referred, with a korn shell we can write compound statements like: ], however this doesn't worked for me. For example: if ] doesn't works, but if || worked. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amritps
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition in a while loop

Gurus, I need to read a line from a file and strip the characters from it and compare the stripped value with the value I pass to the script while executing it. Below is the code for the same. But when i execute the code, it is throwing an error. #!/bin/ksh . /home/.i_env ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leaving for loop on condition

hi all, i have a problem...no dream :-) i want to scan a file i use the loop famous while read line do do < myfile but this scan must finish when find the another string . How can i do it? best regards for all. Francesco Please use descriptive subjects. "script." doesn't tell... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: FrancescoIt
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case loop condition

hello, I would like to do exit at the end ie list all errors before exiting How to put the token exit in a variable with a loop ? Thanks function g1 () { case "$1" in (-0-0 | -0-1 | -0-2 | -0-3 | -1-0 | -1-1 | -1-2 | -1-3) # nothing, OK ! ;; (*) echo 'Fatal, $1 = '"'$1'"', Date... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: amazigh42
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While Loop with if else condition

Hi, I was trying to write a shell script which reads csv file and sends mail in html format along with tables. Hope i have completed 1st part , but while sending mail i was trying to highlight some rows in the table based on the egrep outcome. If the string exists in line/INPUT, i am trying to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varmas424
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check two condition in while loop

Hi, I Have to check two condition in while loop every 2 minutes. while loop is accompanied with number of times it will check.Please help in putting the two condition in while loop as appropriate. z= input value, A=1 while do 1.check the file output,if the file output is N then keep on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop/while condition - doubt

hi., As we know that using for-loop or while condition, we can only process one by one sequentially, but , lets say this example : 1. under the folder "logs" there are 1000 files 2. each file has one record or line 3. have to perform atleast 7 queries per 3 seconds ,for instance ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alnhk
3 Replies
while(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  while(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
while - Execute script repeatedly as long as a condition is met SYNOPSIS
while test body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The while command evaluates test as an expression (in the same way that expr evaluates its argument). The value of the expression must a proper boolean value; if it is a true value then body is executed by passing it to the Tcl interpreter. Once body has been executed then test is evaluated again, and the process repeats until eventually test evaluates to a false boolean value. Continue commands may be exe- cuted inside body to terminate the current iteration of the loop, and break commands may be executed inside body to cause immediate termi- nation of the while command. The while command always returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the while command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: set x 0 while {$x<10} { puts "x is $x" incr x } SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), for(n), foreach(n) KEYWORDS
boolean value, loop, test, while Tcl while(n)