Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can I use columns from text files in if statements? Post 302476844 by ninjafish on Thursday 2nd of December 2010 05:08:53 PM
Old 12-02-2010
ya, sorry for the misspelling ni the code, however the part i'm having difficulty with is after

if ($cap -gt [ ])

i don't know what should go into those square brackets. I don't know what argument will let me grab the text out of the df.txt file to compare it, then output anything that is greater then whatever the $cap variable was given.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching text files on specific columns for duplicates

Is it possible to search through a large file full of rows and columns of text and retrieve only the rows that contain duplicates fields, searchiing for duplicates on col4 & col6 Sample below Col1 col2 col3 col4 col5 col6 G405H SURG FERGUSON ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging few columns of two text files to a new file

hi i need to select a few columns of two txt files and write it to a new file. there is one common field for both of these files. plz help me in this thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kolvi
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Fields from two text files using key columns

Hi All, I have two files to compare. Each has 10 columns with first 4 columns being key index together. The rest of the columns have monetary values. Using Perl, I want to read one file into hash; check for the key value availability in file 2; then compare the values in the rest of 6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sangtha
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combining two text files as columns?

I have one space delimited file with multiple columns and one tab delimited file with multiple columns (They have the same number of rows). I want to basically combine these two text files into a new text file by column. How would I go about doing that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing columns from a text file that do not have any values in second and third columns

I have a text file that has three columns. But at the end of the text file, there are trailing lines that have missing second and third columns: 4 0.04972604 KLHL28 4 0.0497332 CSTB 4 0.04979822 AIF1 4 0.04983331 DECR2 4 0.04990344 KATNB1 4 4 4 4 How can I remove the trailing... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging two text files by two columns

Hi, I have two text files that I would like to merge/join. I would like to join them if the first columns of both text files match and the second column of the first text file matches the third column of the second text file. Example input: First file: 1334 10 0 0 1 5.2 1334 12 0 0 1 4.5... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting up a text file into multiple files by columns

Hi, I have a space delimited text file with multiple columns 102 columns. I want to break it up into 100 files labelled 1.txt through 100.txt (n.txt). Each text file will contain the first two columns and in addition the nth column (that corresponds to n.txt). The third file will contain the... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. Programming

Read columns from text files

Dear All, I have basic structure of the C++ code . It suppose to read particular columns from some txt file. The txt file look like following (snippet). I have to ask the details for instance 'id' information for rows satisfying text with red color. The issue is that the txt file has not just the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing columns in 2 text files

Hi i have 2 files file1.txt XX,ZZ,XC,EE,RR,BB XC,CF,FG,RG,GH,GH File2.txt DF,GH,MH,FR,FG,GH,NOTOK XX,ZZ,XC,EE,RR,BB,OK result XX,ZZ,XC,EE,RR,BB OK look for column1 , XX and if it matches in File2.txt , retrieve the 7 th field from File2 and print in 3 rd file , ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shyam_84
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate columns into different text files

Hi I have large text file consisting of five columns. Sample of the file is give below: ed 2-4 12.0 commons that they depended on. मानवों नष्ट किया जिन पर वो आधारित थे। ed 3-1 12.0 Almost E, but would be over. रचना करीब करीब ई तक जाती है, मगर तब तो नाटक ख़त्म हो... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
2 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)