Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Understanding group and passwd Post 302475415 by yoavbe on Sunday 28th of November 2010 04:01:14 PM
Old 11-28-2010
Understanding group and passwd

Hi,

I am checking who belong to the dba group ,
and found that oracle and autosys users are part of this group
cat /etc/group | grep dba
dba::400Smilieracle,autosys

I thought to found user autosys under group 400 togther with user
oracle , but found it in group 1000 as you can see bellow.
cat /etc/passwd | grep -w 400
oracle:*:130:400::/software/oracle:/bin/ksh
extjob:*:131:400::/home/extjob:/sbin/sh
yoavb:*:119:400::/home/yoavb:/usr/bin/ksh

cat /etc/passwd | grep autosys
autosys:*:1000:1000::/home/autosys:/sbin/sh

Can one explain me where i am wrong ?
Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep group and passwd file

How can I find find all members in the /etc/password file that belong to the dba group in the /etc/group file? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mozartny
4 Replies

2. AIX

Volume Group Understanding

Looking for help in understanding volume groups. On the internal disks is it possible to have other volume groups other then root vg? If so would the other vg be captured in the mksysb? Any documentation links that you can point me to on volume groups and such woudl be welcomed. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cogsworth12000
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is it really not possible for me to edit the etc/group & the etc/passwd files?

From what I have read it possible to create a new group by editing the etc/group and etc/passwd in UNIX two files but a non-experienced user may face many problems such as destroying the file by mistake ot that his changes to these file does not make any difference. However, there is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatev3r
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ypcat group, ypcat passwd

When i run the following command on our server ypcat group or ypcat passwd I get list of groups and users respectively. I am not sure whether this list is only for the groups or users on the particular server on which i executed the command or all the groups and users on all the servers in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

5. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inconsistency between passwd and group

Hi, I have a passwd file with 3 users belonging to the the root group (gid=0), but the group file does not list these users as members of the root group? Shoud I be worried and apart from manually changing it, how can it be remediated? thx Norgaard (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Norgaard
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

8. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conflicting GID in group and passwd files.

Hi guys, I have a question. In the passwd file, user johndoe has a GID of 100 which is the group named users in the group file. But if you check the group file, johndoe is not listed under GID 100, but under GID 33, which is the group named videos. Under what group does johndoe really belong,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goldenlight1814
1 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)