Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: kill command in linux OS
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting kill command in linux OS Post 302474327 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 24th of November 2010 03:24:28 AM
Old 11-24-2010
Sorry I do not have much to go on. In what interface/application was he clicking icons? What is your Operating System? Perhaps you mean "delete" rather than "kill" ?
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kill command

what is the kill command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rush
1 Replies

2. Programming

the kill command

is it possible to implement the kill command using C? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelogs1347
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kill Command

Hi All, What is difference between kill & kill -9 command? Thanks & regards, Sonali (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonali
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

5. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Help with Kill Command

I am running Solaris 9. I have a problem with kill command. I'm sort of teaching myself so this might be a really stupid thing. I logged in as a normal user, lets say ABC, and then did "su" to root. After becoming root, I tried to kill the process started by ABC by saying kill -9 "pid of ABC" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_red_dove
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill command

Good way to kill the process, if the process having it's child (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill using the ps command

hello, can anyone help me with a script that checks the status of processes and "kills" the process that's hanging? I mean I'm aware of the commands but I'm confused on how to put them all together... thanks! :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dude911
4 Replies

9. Linux

How - Heapdump in Linux - kill -3

Hi can someone tell me what does kill -3 processid does? kill -3 PID Would it create a heapdump? If not , can you tell me how I can create a heapdump of a process in linux? Or heapdump related to java processes only ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kill command

what is the difference between kill 5 and kill %5? the first one is to kill a process with PID 5 but what does the % mean in the second one? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
3 Replies
KILL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - terminate a process with extreme prejudice SYNOPSIS
kill [ -sig ] processid ... kill -l DESCRIPTION
Kill sends the TERM (terminate, 15) signal to the specified processes. If a signal name or number preceded by `-' is given as first argu- ment, that signal is sent instead of terminate (see sigvec(2)). The signal names are listed by `kill -l', and are as given in /usr/include/signal.h, stripped of the common SIG prefix. The terminate signal will kill processes that do not catch the signal; `kill -9 ...' is a sure kill, as the KILL (9) signal cannot be caught. By convention, if process number 0 is specified, all members in the process group (i.e. processes resulting from the current login) are signaled (but beware: this works only if you use sh(1); not if you use csh(1).) Negative process numbers also have special meanings; see kill(2) for details. The killed processes must belong to the current user unless he is the super-user. The process number of an asynchronous process started with `&' is reported by the shell. Process numbers can also be found by using ps(1). Kill is a built-in to csh(1); it allows job specifiers of the form ``%...'' as arguments so process id's are not as often used as kill arguments. See csh(1) for details. SEE ALSO
csh(1), ps(1), kill(2), sigvec(2) BUGS
A replacement for ``kill 0'' for csh(1) users should be provided. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 20, 1986 KILL(1)