Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting what is the right way to use newgrp in script Post 302474292 by ram_unx on Wednesday 24th of November 2010 12:25:01 AM
Old 11-24-2010
Sunos 5.10 is the version, i want to create a clearcase object throuh my script with the relevant group of clearcase admin. so that the clearcase object i create will belong to that group of the id,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

newgrp command

I'd like to make an alias of commands which contains the command newgrp. exple: alias my_cmde newgrp toto; my_pg & this line doesn't work. why ? Thanks for your help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nathe
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newgrp in a script

I want to do these commands in a script: if the user name is 'toto' then the user switch to the group toto_group and then 2 others scripts are launched. Unfortunately, after the command 'newgrp' the 2 scripts are not launched correctly. But if I do the same, by hand, one line per one line, it... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nathe
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a shell script that calls another script and and an awk script

Hi guys I have a shell script that executes sql statemets and sends the output to a file.the script takes in parameters executes sql and sends the result to an output file. #!/bin/sh echo " $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 isql -w400 -U$2 -S$5 -P$3 << xxx use $4 go print"**Changes to the table... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magikminox
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating 'newgrp' command - how?

Hi, I have to add the 'newgrp' command to my login (.cshrc) script. The problem is that if I add it, it comes to infinite look, since newgrp opens new shell again and again. How to automate the newgrp when I have to login, and avoid that loop? Currently I'm thinking of a condition that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshmosh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use newgrp or sg in user mode without password prompt?

Hi, Is it possible to call newgrp or sg from user mode without password prompt in a Linux script? Thank you. hce (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set up newgrp on .profile?

Hello all, I am having an issue setting up an environment on .profile. I want to set up my .profile in that way that everytime I login to the host, it should automatically set up my group. I tried the folllowing but it doesn't work. It is on the solaris OS. HOSTNAME=$(hostname) if ] || ]... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pateltiger
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling a script from master script to get value from called script

I am trying to call a script(callingscript.sh) from a master script(masterscript.sh) to get string type value from calling script to master script. I have used scripts mentioned below. #masterscript.sh ./callingscript.sh echo $fileExist #callingscript.sh echo "The script is called"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj Roy
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Newgrp fails on only 1 group

I have a handful of users who can't 'newgrp' to one specific group from Solaris 9 and 10 nodes and always get this prompt: newgrp: Password: We never get prompted by 20+ other groups and this group never prompts for a password from Red Hat Linux nodes. Authentication comes from AD and there's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rnae20
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script works fine as a standalone script but not as part of a bigger script

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies
PTS_RENAME(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     PTS_RENAME(1)

NAME
pts_rename - Changes the name of a Protection Database entry SYNOPSIS
pts rename -oldname <old name> -newname <new name> [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] [-help] pts ren -o <old name> -ne <new name> [-c <cell name>] [-no] [-l] [-f] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The pts rename command changes the name of the user, machine, or group entry specified by the -oldname argument to the name specified by the -newname argument. It is not possible to change a user or machine entry's name to look like a regular group entry's name (have a colon in it). Members of the system:administrators group can change a regular group name into a prefix-less name and vice versa. When changing a prefix- less group name into a regular group name or a regular group name to another regular group name, the owner field of the new name (the part before the colon) must correctly reflect the group's owner. Changing a regular group's owner with the pts chown command automatically changes the owner field (the part before the colon) of the group's name, but does not change the owner field of any groups owned by the group. Use this command to rename those groups to a form that accurately reflects their ownership. CAUTIONS
By convention, many aspects of an AFS user account have the same name as the user's Protection Database entry, including the Authentication Database entry, volume, and mount point. When using this command to change a user name, also change the names of all related entities to maintain consistency. For instructions, see the chapter on user accounts in the OpenAFS Administration Guide. OPTIONS
-oldname <old name> Specifies the current full name of the entry. -newname <new name> Specifies the new full name for the entry. For regular groups, the owner field (the part before the colon) of the new name must reflect the actual ownership of the group. -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). EXAMPLES
The following example changes the name of the group staff, owned by the privileged user "admin", to "admin:staff": % pts rename -oldname staff -newname admin:staff The following example changes the name of the group "admin:finance" to the group "finance". The issuer must belong to the system:administrators group. % pts rename -oldname admin:finance -newname finance PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
To change a regular group name to a prefix-less name or vice versa, or to change a user or machine entry's name, the issuer must belong to the system:administrators group. To change a group name to a new name of the same type (regular or prefix-less), the issuer must own the group or belong to the system:administrators group. SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_chown(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_RENAME(1)