Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Last login details in banner
Operating Systems AIX Last login details in banner Post 302473939 by frank_rizzo on Monday 22nd of November 2010 11:21:47 PM
Old 11-23-2010
Code:
Files Reference
utmp, wtmp, failedlogin File Format
Purpose

Describes formats for user and accounting information.
Description

The utmp file, the wtmp file, and the failedlogin file contain records with user and accounting information.

When a user attempts to logs in, the login program writes entries in two files:

* The /etc/utmp file, which contains a record of users logged into the system.
    * The /var/adm/wtmp file (if it exists), which contains connect-time accounting records.

On an invalid login attempt, due to an incorrect login name or password, the login program makes an entry in:

* The /etc/security/failedlogin file, which contains a record of unsuccessful login attempts.

The records in these files follow the utmp format, defined in the utmp.h header file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

Change the Login banner for obsd 3.3

Hi is it possible to change the login banner ? i now it`s somthing with /etc/gettytab and think i have found the line that give out the output "OpenBSD/i386 (hostname) (ttyC1) now for my question can i change the default:\ :np:im=\r\n%s/%m (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:sp#1200: i whant to use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vip3r
1 Replies

2. BSD

How to i change the login banner in obsd 3.3

Hi is it possible to change the login banner ? i now it`s somthing with /etc/gettytab and think i have found the line that give out the output "OpenBSD/i386 (hostname) (ttyC1) now for my question can i change the default:\ :np:im=\r\n%s/%m (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:sp#1200: i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vip3r
2 Replies

3. Linux

login banner

Hi, I have added in banner in both /etc/banner and /etc/issue.net one by one in Linux but the banner is not displaying while user type username and enter I have restarted the ssh service also Any idea why? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Create Banner/Login Messages in Solaris.

Hi, I have been trying to create a banner/login message (something for displaying the usage policy etc) to appear while I login using telnet/FTP to any Solaris (pref. Solaris9) machine. I have tried using /etc/issue and /etc/motd files. Both do not solve my need. In that, /etc/issue displays... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahatma
8 Replies

5. HP-UX

Hp-ux login banner

Hi, How do i create a login banner for hp-ux users. Is there somewhere i can get a step by step explanation? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dowell
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CDE Login Banner

I'm having problem with the CDE pre login banner. I configured the c/usr/dt/config/C/Xresources file to add my warning message: Dtlogin*greeting.labelString: My Banner I then modified the Dtlogin*greeting*fontList to display the message in smaller text. This did not work. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: equismorio
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

telnet banner message before login

why I didn't set /etc/inetd.conf telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/lbin/telnetd \ telnetd -b /etc/issue only telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/lbin/telnetd in /etc/ineted.conf but when I telnet my HPUX machine it shows those message HP-UX hp1008 B.11.31 U ia64 (tb) login: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alert0919
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display banner before login.

How would i force All connection oriented network services to display a legal warning in terms of banner before any fuctional operation by user? ---------- Post updated at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:33 AM ---------- I would like to do this for ssh service first. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change banner message for console login?

Hi All, Whenever I login to server via console, after providing username (root) it displays a banner message. I want to remove this message Serverabc : root Welcome to Server !!! Password: It is Centos 5.4 box. I have checked /etc/issue and /etc/motd. It does not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing login details to htaccess login prompt

Hi, How i can pass the login details to the URL which is password protected with the htaccess using command line or script (perl,or shell,or php). Any help or hint appreciated. Thanks, SJ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilvesterJ
4 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)