Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Executing multiple processes without waiting for their exit status. Post 302473092 by justchill on Friday 19th of November 2010 01:19:04 AM
Old 11-19-2010
Try using nohup and run the process in the background with &

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status

i downloaded a text file from metalab.unc.edu called sh.txt and in this reference manual it refers to shell scripting exit status .. at the end of one of the examples that author gave an exit status of 127.. to what does a 127 exit status refer too and what is its purpose in the code. moxxx68 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieving exit status from background processes

Hi, I need to retrieve the exit status of 4 moves running as background processes. The wait command will not work since it can only give me the exit status of the last of the background processes. Here's a sample of what I need !#/bin/ksh mv /dir1/subdir1/*.Z /dir6/subdir6/ & mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MG537
2 Replies

3. Programming

parent not waiting until child complete executing another program through execl()

Hi, I am calling a program that greps and returns 72536 bytes of data on STDOUT, say about 7000 lines of data on STDOUT. I use pipe from the program am calling the above program. Naturally, I execute the above program (through execl() ) throught the child process and try to read the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring 'waiting' processes

Is it possible to monitor processes whether they are waiting or active? Basically I would like to know since which TIME the process has been running and the state. :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jon80
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit status

I'm preparing for exam and one of exams is to write own test command... I wonder if in unix is a command which just returns exit code you specify.. I know I can easily write a function like this: exStatus() { return $1 } -> my question is rather theoretical thank you! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Processes and exit status

Hi, I can't understand why the last $? is 1? can somebody plz help me to understand it? thanks $ ksh $ ps -f UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME COMMAND msarabad 12361 12319 0 15:17:58 pts/1 0:00 ksh msarabad 12319 12317 0 15:15:11 pts/1 0:00 -sh msarabad 12362 12361 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
7 Replies

7. Fedora

Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...

I'm trying to install wireshark on Fedora(latest version with gnome3) and I keep getting the above error. I keep killing the offending process after finding it's pid using "ps aux | grep yum", but the same process spawns again with a different pid. root 1605 0.0 3.4 54424 26228 ? SN 10:51 0:02... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shwick2
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit Status

I have a shell script (#!/bin/sh) that interacts with Appworx and Banner Admin. In my script I want to check the exit status of awrun before continuing. awrun can run for 10 seconds or it can run for over a minute. So my question is, will it go through my if statement before awrun may even be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smkremer
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to get the exit status

Hi All, I am trying to create a zip file with all the txt files(these are in large number) in the current directory. I am able to do this operation sucessfully. After this i want to get the status of the tar command executed and do accordingly. When i am trying with the below code, the status... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paddu
3 Replies

10. AIX

C Exit Not Executing

Greetings all, I am using an enterprise utility for document archiving. This program calls a custom C exit to do data manipulation before loading data into the archive. When the program is called via an automation script (Ran as ROOT), program successfully executes the C exit, and gives me an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
3 Replies
NOHUP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup -- invoke a utility immune to hangups SYNOPSIS
nohup [--] utility [arguments] DESCRIPTION
The nohup utility invokes utility with its arguments and at this time sets the signal SIGHUP to be ignored. If the standard output is a ter- minal, the standard output is appended to the file nohup.out in the current directory. If standard error is a terminal, it is directed to the same place as the standard output. Some shells may provide a builtin nohup command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. ENVIRONMENT
The following variables are utilized by nohup: HOME If the output file nohup.out cannot be created in the current directory, the nohup utility uses the directory named by HOME to create the file. PATH Used to locate the requested utility if the name contains no '/' characters. EXIT STATUS
The nohup utility exits with one of the following values: 126 The utility was found, but could not be invoked. 127 The utility could not be found or an error occurred in nohup. Otherwise, the exit status of nohup will be that of utility. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), signal(3) STANDARDS
The nohup utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BUGS
Two or more instances of nohup can append to the same file, which makes for a confusing output. BSD
July 19, 2001 BSD