Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sendmail Utility
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sendmail Utility Post 302472951 by buechler66 on Thursday 18th of November 2010 02:21:18 PM
Old 11-18-2010
Sendmail Utility

Hi. Question from a novice. I'd like to have a unix script that sends me an email message, but I have no clue on the syntax. I do know this works from my mailtest.sh script:

Code:
/usr/lib/sendmail steve@me.com < /dev/null

This sends me a blank email. I'm hoping someone can help me to build on this. I want a script that will send me an email, but include a subject and message body. Something like this:

Code:
To: steve@me.com
Subject: Test

Body: This is a test mail message

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Scott; 11-18-2010 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What utility do I use for this?

I want to pull out the 3rd column of information and stick in a file. What is the Utility I use to do this? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: James
8 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

BRU utility

I'm having trouble trying to extract files from a bru tape. The man pages on the bru command have confused me. The following are commands that I've tried and the respective outputs. will.rlee 224> bru -vgf /dev/nrtape label: created: Mon Nov 7 18:21:41 1994 device: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sherbet808
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Talk utility

Are "talk" sessions logged or can they be logged? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unknown utility

Hi everyone, I am a beginner in Linux and Shell scripting.I am migrating a couple of shell scripts from Solaris platform to Linux platform.In one script i saw a usage as : /base/article/ocilib/lobfile $username/$password $filename $filepath I didn't understand what this represents.The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

utility

hi experts, Can you please help me out in removing delimiters with in double quotes from a CSV file. input: ===== a,"bnn,",dgd, "sagfh,dj",ad output ===== a,"bnn",dgd, "sagfhdj",ad there are so mnay fileds in a row and there are millions of rows. Thanks in an advance.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhendu81
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Unzip a file using unzip utility for files zipped without zip utility ?

Hi, I need to zip/compress a data file and send to a vendor. The vendor does have only unzip utility and can accept only .ZIP files. I do not have zip utility in my server. How do I zip/compress the file so that it can be deflated using unzip command ? I tried gzip & compress commands, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sendmail utility in K Shell script

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and thus any help will be highly appreciated. I need to write a K shell script where in the email sending feature should be handled by sendmail utility and I have come up with the following : #!/usr/bin/ksh echo "This is a test mailest mail" | /usr/lib/sendmail... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdiptanil
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail questions, SCO 5.0.6 sendmail 8.11.0

I am running SCO 5.0.6 and using sendmail 8.11.0 and having issues with smtp authentication. When trying to send mail the following message will kick back. (reason: 530 5.7.1 Authentication required) 530 5.7.1 Authentication required Not sure what needs to be tweeked in sendmail.cf but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ziggy6
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mkdir utility

Howdy, Puttering around in unix, and read this in the mkdir man page: "The mkdir utility creates the directories named as operands..." What does this mean, i.e. as operands? Many thanks, DN (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danuke
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies
mailto.conf(5)							    Apple Inc.							    mailto.conf(5)

NAME
mailto.conf - configuration file for cups email notifier DESCRIPTION
The mailto.conf file defines the local mail server and email notification preferences for CUPS. Each line in the file can be a configuration directive, a blank line, or a comment. Comment lines start with the # character. DIRECTIVES
Cc cc-address@domain.com Specifies an additional recipient for all email notifications. From from-address@domain.com Specifies the sender of email notifications. Sendmail sendmail command and options Specifies the sendmail command to use when sending email notifications. Only one Sendmail or SMTPServer line may be present in the mailto.conf file. If multiple lines are present, only the last one is used. SMTPServer servername Specifies a SMTP server to send email notifications to. Only one Sendmail or SMTPServer line may be present in the mailto.conf file. If multiple lines are present, only the last one is used. Subject subject-prefix Specifies a prefix string for the subject line of an email notification. SEE ALSO
classes.conf(5), cupsd(8), cupsd.conf(5), mime.convs(5), mime.types(5), printers.conf(5), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2009 by Apple Inc. 12 July 2006 CUPS mailto.conf(5)