Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Anthropology Student Looking for Research Participants Post 302472527 by osanthropologis on Wednesday 17th of November 2010 10:34:29 AM
Old 11-17-2010
Anthropology Student Looking for Research Participants

I am an undergraduate in Anthropology, currently writing my final year dissertation. The subject I have chosen in the Open Source project. I will be writing a detailed ethnography of hacker culture and am searching for research participants. Particularly, I am looking for Open Source user groups based in London in order to conduct live face-to-face interviews. Additionally however, anybody who would be interested in participating virtually is absolutely welcome. The focus of my work will be the way in which Open Source redefines the relationship between humans and technology. Additionally I am interested in examining the Open Source project in terms of the “Gift Economy”, an alternative vision of economic practice first studied by Marcel Mauss in the early 20th century. Anybody who would be interested can e-mail to find out more. Also if you know of an Open Source group based in London I would greatly appreciate any information. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 11-22-2010 at 05:42 PM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

novice student needs help

Help! I am very stuck!!! I have to produce a practical implementation of ONC RPC for an assignment and I do not know where to start. I hve done much searching on sun's site but everything is too complicated for someone with my limited knowledge. I only know the very basic unix commands and have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karen79
1 Replies

2. Linux

Student needs help...

I know taking the easy way out isn't going to help me learn anything, but hopefully it will at least give me some guidence... I have a project and here's what I have to do... A company is currently running a Digital VAX and I have to replace it with a Linux server. There are 19 terminals... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MGold4357
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Student Need Help!

Is there anyone here that can help me with my unix assignment? I've been working on it for 3 days now. It is regarding writing a script. I've got a few questions that I need some answers. Please someone who are willing to help add me to their msn messenger: **************** In one part of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaSFLiP
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

student need help!

yes im a student at Sandersville Technical College in Sandersville, Georgia. Im doing a presentation on UNIX can someone help me discribe what UNIX is and how to use it and the different features it has? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: willnadaze
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hello Everyone - Student in Need of Help

Hi everyone. Let me just start off by saying I'm a college student and I love playing around with UNIX. I registered here because I have a UNIX shell scripting class and I am having some issues with my homework. I'm not looking for answers to the problems, just some help to get me on my way.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hexum311
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Student needs grep command help

I am a Student in college struggling with Linux homework This home work was created by my professor not out of the class text book and is frustrating me and the text book is a little frustrating as well need help with 2 5 6 stuck on 2 currently so I know 5 and 6 will be even more... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jetoutant
9 Replies
PTHREAD_RWLOCK_TRYWRLOCK(3P)				     POSIX Programmer's Manual				      PTHREAD_RWLOCK_TRYWRLOCK(3P)

PROLOG
This manual page is part of the POSIX Programmer's Manual. The Linux implementation of this interface may differ (consult the correspond- ing Linux manual page for details of Linux behavior), or the interface may not be implemented on Linux. NAME
pthread_rwlock_trywrlock, pthread_rwlock_wrlock - lock a read-write lock object for writing SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_rwlock_trywrlock(pthread_rwlock_t *rwlock); int pthread_rwlock_wrlock(pthread_rwlock_t *rwlock); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_rwlock_trywrlock() function shall apply a write lock like the pthread_rwlock_wrlock() function, with the exception that the function shall fail if any thread currently holds rwlock (for reading or writing). The pthread_rwlock_wrlock() function shall apply a write lock to the read-write lock referenced by rwlock. The calling thread acquires the write lock if no other thread (reader or writer) holds the read-write lock rwlock. Otherwise, the thread shall block until it can acquire the lock. The calling thread may deadlock if at the time the call is made it holds the read-write lock (whether a read or write lock). Implementations may favor writers over readers to avoid writer starvation. Results are undefined if any of these functions are called with an uninitialized read-write lock. If a signal is delivered to a thread waiting for a read-write lock for writing, upon return from the signal handler the thread resumes waiting for the read-write lock for writing as if it was not interrupted. RETURN VALUE
The pthread_rwlock_trywrlock() function shall return zero if the lock for writing on the read-write lock object referenced by rwlock is acquired. Otherwise, an error number shall be returned to indicate the error. If successful, the pthread_rwlock_wrlock() function shall return zero; otherwise, an error number shall be returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pthread_rwlock_trywrlock() function shall fail if: EBUSY The read-write lock could not be acquired for writing because it was already locked for reading or writing. The pthread_rwlock_trywrlock() and pthread_rwlock_wrlock() functions may fail if: EINVAL The value specified by rwlock does not refer to an initialized read-write lock object. The pthread_rwlock_wrlock() function may fail if: EDEADLK The current thread already owns the read-write lock for writing or reading. These functions shall not return an error code of [EINTR]. The following sections are informative. EXAMPLES
None. APPLICATION USAGE
Applications using these functions may be subject to priority inversion, as discussed in the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, Section 3.285, Priority Inversion. RATIONALE
None. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
pthread_rwlock_destroy(), pthread_rwlock_rdlock(), pthread_rwlock_timedrdlock(), pthread_rwlock_timedwrlock(), pthread_rwlock_tryrdlock(), pthread_rwlock_unlock(), the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, <pthread.h> COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 PTHREAD_RWLOCK_TRYWRLOCK(3P)