Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Prepare command before executing Post 302472027 by ctsgnb on Tuesday 16th of November 2010 04:29:13 AM
Old 11-16-2010
you don't need to write a function just to perform an ls command : just ls -lt *
I think you problem is more about passing a list of file you want to ls so ...
Code:
for i in /etc /usr/var/cron
do
ls -lrt $i
done

or put your list in a file and scan it
Code:
[root@lyisy22:~/sand]# cat list
file1
file2
file3
file4
[root@lyisy22:~/sand]# while read f
> do
> ls -l $f
> done<list

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatically executing a command

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question? I am trying to find a way of executing a command if a certain file is created in the same directory. One way I thought about doing this was to create a FORTRAN program that continually searches for this file. If the file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbiegregg
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a command at startup

Hey all, How do I execute a file at startup automatically. From what I've read is that I need to put it into my .bashrc file. I'm not sure where to go from there. Can I just type commands into that and they'll run next time I restart my server? Right now I have added these lines: cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NathanWarden
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing command from subdirectories

Hello, I've been trying to run 'ls -1R | wc -l' inside of sub directories to in order to determine how big each folder is. find . -maxdepth 1 -type d | while read folder do cd "$folder" && echo "$folder has $(ls -1R | wc -l) files" && cd .. done or for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NoobProgrammer
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doing a capture while another command is executing?

Basically what i'm trying to do is execute an update command and at the same time have the system do a TCPdump to file for that update traffic. So I would like to connect the two commands so that the tcpdump terminates automatically when the update finishes/fails/whatever. Right now I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd command not executing in if else loop

Hi, I am executing below script s1=`pwd` s2=/space if then echo "done" else echo "mistake" cd /tmp fi I am not able to migrate to /tmp directory if the condition is not true.However mistake is being printed.Means cd command is not working here.All other commands except cd are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: d8011
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

executing a command using ssh

Hi All, I am trying to execute a command using ssh as below. ssh user123@servername "which ctmcontb" It is gving the error as below no ctmcontb in /usr/bin /usr/sbin /opt/sysadm/bin Not sure from where the PATH is getting picked up. But When I login direclty to the server I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilreddy103
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Role not executing command

Hello Guys, I am studying RBAC. So I create a role called sysadm and gave it the "shutdown" profile. Now when I switch to that role, and execute the shutdown command $ shutdown -y -g0 -i5 The system responds with : shutdown: not found Can anyone help me with this please?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help executing command with options

Hi, I have this command in a shell script and I can get it to echo ok, but when I try to execute the command I get a "file not found" error. Which is strange because, if I copy and paste the same command at the cli it works ok. What am I doing wrong please? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a command in subshell

Hi All, I am trying to create a shell script which runs on my linux machine. The requirement is so that, ade createview xyz -> this steps creates a view ade useview xyz -> we are entering inside the view ade begintrans -> begin a transaction My script has following code : lets say... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dish
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Warn Before Executing Particular Command

I'm running CentOS 6.8 and use bash. I would like a warning to appear to the user who runs the command "service httpd restart" E.g. # service httpd restart are you sure y/n n # (or if y, the command executes). I looked into it a little but am not sure of the best approach. Aliases I ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
1 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

Name
       diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison

Syntax
       diff3 [-ex3] file1 file2 file3

Description
       The command compares three versions of a file, and publishes the ranges of text that disagree, flagged with the following codes:

====	      all three files differ

====1       file1 is different

====2       file2 is different

====3       file3 is different

The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways:

f : n1 a    Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3.

f : n1 , n2 c
		      Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2.  If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1.

The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication.  When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of
       the lower-numbered file is suppressed.

Options
       -3   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file1 and file2 that are to be incorporated into file3.

-e	   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file2 and file3 that are to be incorporated into file1.

-x	   Produces an editor script containing the changes among all three files.

Examples
       Under the -e option, publishes a script for the editor that incorporates into file1 all changes between file2 and  file3  -  that  is,  the
       changes	that would normally be flagged ==== and ====3.	Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3).
       The following command applies the resulting script to `file1':
       (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1

Restrictions
       Text lines that consist of a single `.'	defeat -e.

Files
       /tmp/d3?????
       /usr/lib/diff3

See Also
       cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), dffmk(1), join(1), sccsdiff(1), uniq(1)

diff3(1)