Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple question on $VAR = num Post 302471781 by bakunin on Monday 15th of November 2010 05:33:46 AM
Old 11-15-2010
You can find out how comparisons work in the man page of "test" ("man test").

The opening square bracket ("[") is in fact just an alias or link for "/usr/bin/test", to make shell code more readable:

Code:
if [ "$x" = "a" ] ; then

and

Code:
 if /usr/bin/test "$x" = "a" ; then

is basically the same, the former is just "more natural" to read than the latter. "if" just takes the return code of the following command and "test" returns "0" when the comparison is true, otherwise it returns "1". The following would also work:

Code:
if 0 ; then

or
Code:
if 1 ; then

The first one would always execute the "then"-branch, the second one always the "else"-branch..

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple question

I am taking an intro to unix class and I can not figure out how to do part of the question. I am writing script to be exictued by a program in the tutoral. Question: Write every line containing the word ``delete'' produced by ``man mail'' into a file called ``delete''. Hint: What does using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: weathergirl
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very simple question

I'm new to unix commands and am wondering how you could create a page with html tags in it. echo "<b>Test</b>" > test.html doesn't work because of the tags. How would I do this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roger19
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple if then fi question

i'm trying to make a script that prints the name of the script for any command line parameter, here is what i have, and get `]]' unexpected: what am i doing wrong? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tefflox
3 Replies

5. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Question

If given some output such as: "I'm having a senior moment" How do you print the last six characters to the screen? I'm thinking with awk or sed but can't remember how. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stepnkev
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Question

Hi Guys, I've been learning UNIX for the past couple of days and I came across this exercise, I can't get my head around it, so I would be ever so grateful if I could receive some sort of help or direction with this. Create a file with x amount of lines in it, the content of your choice. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aforball
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/VAR/SPOOL/MAIL question

Hi, We have all the user account in a home direcory where their mail is stored and retrieved by email clients. We do however have /var/spool/mail with all the user accounts in it as well Our sendmail.cf is configured to use /var/spool/mqueue as the queue so .what is /var/spool/mail being used... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple question

hi everybody; trying to c unix programming and ive stucked with a problem: simple program filedr=open("tempfile",O_RDWR|O_TRUNC,0); write(filedr,msg1,6); int i; i=read(filedr,msg3,4); it returns 0 bytes read ... why? well if i try to poll() before read , it doesnt indicate POLLHUP or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: IdleProc
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
DDB(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    DDB(8)

NAME
ddb -- configure DDB kernel debugger properties SYNOPSIS
ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] print ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] status ddb script scriptname ddb script scriptname=script ddb scripts ddb unscript scriptname ddb pathname DESCRIPTION
The ddb utility configures certain aspects of the ddb(4) kernel debugger from user space that are not configured at compile-time or easily via sysctl(8) MIB entries. To ease configuration, commands can be put in a file which is processed using ddb as shown in the last synopsis line. An absolute pathname must be used. The file will be read line by line and applied as arguments to the ddb utility. Whitespace at the beginning of lines will be ignored as will lines where the first non-whitespace character is '#'. OUTPUT CAPTURE
The ddb utility can be used to extract the contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer of the current live kernel, or from the crash dump of a kernel on disk. The following debugger commands are available from the command line: capture [-M core] [-N system] print Print the current contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. capture [-M core] [-N system] status Print the current status of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. SCRIPTING
The ddb utility can be used to configure aspects of ddb(4) scripting from user space; scripting support is described in more detail in ddb(4). Each of the debugger commands is available from the command line: script scriptname Print the script named scriptname. script scriptname=script Define a script named scriptname. As many scripts contain characters interpreted in special ways by the shell, it is advisable to enclose script in quotes. scripts List currently defined scripts. unscript scriptname Delete the script named scriptname. EXIT STATUS
The ddb utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example defines a script that will execute when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a break signal: ddb script kdb.enter.break="show pcpu; bt" The following example will delete the script: ddb unscript kdb.enter.break For further examples, see the ddb(4) and textdump(4) manual pages. SEE ALSO
ddb(4), textdump(4), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The ddb utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
Robert N M Watson BUGS
Ideally, ddb would not exist, as all pertinent aspects of ddb(4) could be configured directly via sysctl(8). BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD