Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting closing unwanted open ports using scripts Post 302471577 by anand121 on Saturday 13th of November 2010 11:47:49 PM
Old 11-14-2010
closing unwanted open ports using scripts

i have a text file i.e file1.txt which shows open ports on particular system. i have another text file i.e file2.txt which shows a list of allowed ports on a system. for eg:
file2.txt
22/tcp ssh
23/tcp telnet.
can i have a script which would compare these text files ,file1 and file2 and close out all ports which r not allowed. i know only one way off turning off particular port or sevice i.e by commenting out particular service in etc/inetd.conf file on linux system. Image

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

closing open ports

/* Linux Slackware */ Nmap shows the following ports open on the gateway. 21/tcp ftp 22/tcp ssh 23/tcp telnet 25/tcp smtp 37/tcp time 80/tcp http 113/tcp auth 515/tcp printer 587/tcp submission 1024/tcp kdm 6000/tcp x11 ------------------------------- i would like to close as... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: LowOrderBit
10 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

firewall vs. closing ports

This may be kind of a stupid question, but here goes: Say I'm running a FreeBSD webserver (w/apache). I've managed to close ALL open ports (including SSH/telnet and portmapper), excepting '80' that apache is listening on. A netstat -a shows me nothing open. Discounting DoS/DDoS or holes in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: adam_crosby
7 Replies

3. IP Networking

Closing out ports???

Hi all Is there a command that I can use to close out open ports? I did a netstat - a -p and got a long list of ports open (see sample below). I have disabled the some of the applications from /etc/services/. But there are still applications listening on certain ports. I need to know how to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
6 Replies

4. Linux

How To Open Ports in RedHat ?

how can i open ports i need in red hat server vs root access ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sirius
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

determining open ports

hi all 1) how to determine available ports in a box (solaris) do i have to go for a netstat on all the ports? 2) how to block a particular port for a particular type of connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open ports solaris 8

Hello, I have a number of Solaris 8 Sun servers that have open ports that I cannot identify. I see some with 1012-1020 (which are reserved ports according to the IANA. Lsof does not identify these. One server has all these on and one server just has 1017. *.1023 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csross
3 Replies

7. AIX

locking down unused or unwanted ports in AIX

We have a system and we have modified the /etc/ind.conf and the /etc/services and the /etc/rc.tcpip file to turn off specific applications. I need to know what is the correct procedure for locking down unused ports that still appear to be in a listen mode even... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admaix
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open ports and services

just a quick question: a. whats the simplest command to check open port and the corresponding services? example: bash-2.05# netstat -an | grep LISTEN *.199 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN *.8989 *.* 0 0 49152 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Closing open file descriptors from /proc/pid/fd

Hi guys, i need to write a shell script that will close file descriptors from /proc/pid/fd will calling exec 4<&- solve the problem ? thanks in advance :) (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha_romeo
15 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp or diff. If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported com- pression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncom- pressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp or diff is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2009-07-05 XZDIFF(1)