Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cron Job help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cron Job help Post 302471200 by joeyg on Friday 12th of November 2010 08:02:28 AM
Old 11-12-2010
+ option

The + option may not be available in all unix flavors. The + option takes from a line forward. Thus
Code:
file1=
a1
b2
c3
d4

command like the following
>tail -n +2 file1

gives
b2
c3
d4

Suggest your try the command syntax at your prompt. Also verify your default shell vs. the shell your script is running.
This User Gave Thanks to joeyg For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job

Hi All I am trying to run a .sh file from cron but its not performing its intended purpose, though the same sh file works fine when triggered manually.Following mail I recieve when it tries to run the script. ********************************************************* To: wlsdev05 Subject:... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job

Hi All , We have few scripts which uses common environment/path setting variables. Now instead of putting classpath , framework,java_home ..... etc. in all the script, can we make a file with all common settings which can be envoked by the scripts while running. If yes , say setting file is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron job

Regarding Cron job, i want to execute a scriptevery 4 days once irrespective of a week or a month. Is it possible?Any help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santho
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CRON usage for CRON job

can anybody explain the usage of CRON for adding a cron job. please provide an example also for better understanding !!! Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
1 Replies

5. Solaris

cron job starts new cron proccess

I run cron in solaris 10 zone. One cron job which syncing files to nfs mounted on container, creates after finishing another cron proccess(/usr/sbin/cron), and after 100 existing cron proccesses next cron job will not start. It's too weird for me, I'm not able to solve this problem. Theoretically... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron76
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cron job

Hello, Can anyone help me how to set any script as cron job. I have gone through all threads but not able to get the details. Appreciate your help. I need to set test.pl to run on every Tuesday by 6am in the morning. I do not the cron file which is defined. Please help me out. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jam_prasanna
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Cron job running even after cron is removed

Hi , I have removed a cron for particular user , but cron job seems to be running even after the cron entry is removed. The purpose of the cron was to sendmail to user ( it uses mailx utility ) I have restarted cron and sendmail service still user is getting mail alerts from the cron job. And... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commented cron job -- cron monitoring

Hi I have a requirement to write a shell script,that will check the all commented job in cron job.Please help !! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Job

How to schedule a cron job to run every other Monday. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITDev01
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job - Need to run Cron every quarter at particular time

Hi, 1) If some job supposed to run on 1st of every month at 7 AM In cron job when we have a blackout on the 1st ( i.e when 1st falls on a sunday ) how can we make the job run the next business day? 2) How can we run a job on 25th of every quarter 7 AM(jan,apr,jul,oct) And if 25th... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-benstuv] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command-line order. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, cat reads from the standard input. If file is a UNIX domain socket, cat connects to it and then reads it until EOF. This complements the UNIX domain binding capability available in inetd(8). The options are as follows: -b Number the non-blank output lines, starting at 1. -e Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display tab characters as '^I'. -u Disable output buffering. -v Display non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ASCII characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (i.e., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), more(1), pr(1), sh(1), tail(1), vis(1), zcat(1), setbuf(3) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is compliant with the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-benstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! The cat utility does not recognize multibyte characters when the -t or -v option is in effect. BSD
March 21, 2004 BSD