Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Making a hash map from a records file Post 302470181 by rdettwyler on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 11:29:54 AM
Old 11-09-2010
Making a hash map from a records file

Greets again. Let me first say that this forum and all of you participants are amazing. You give of your time and knowledge to those of us who aspire and have not reached your level (yet). My thanks.

I have created a file of records and wish to make a hash map from it. Here is an example of what it might look like;
Code:
12345,ABCDE
23456,BCDEF
34567,CDEFG
45678,DEFGH

I am having a lot of trouble with escaping and using single or double quotes, etc., in making the hash map
Code:
$map{'12345'} = 'ABCDE';

Any and all assistance will be much appreciated.
Thanks all,
Rick

Last edited by Scott; 11-09-2010 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Entire hash list (hash of hashes)

I have a script with dynamic hash of hashes , and I want to print the entire hash (with all other hashes). Itried to do it recursively by checking if the current key is a hash and if yes call the current function again with refference to the sub hash. Most of the printing seems to be OK but in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alalush
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Hash:Can not keep hash data in the same order that it was inserted

Can Someone explain me why even using Tie::IxHash I can not get the output data in the same order that it was inserted? See code below. #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use Tie::IxHash; use strict; tie (my %programs, "Tie::IxHash"); while (my $line = <DATA>) { chomp $line; my(... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgfcoimbra
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

hash map Illegal division by zero problem

Hi Everyone, a.txt line1;a;33 line1;c;22 line1;b;0 line1;a;55 a.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my @sorted=(); my @tmp; my $FA; my @F; (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values of hashes of hash for n number of hash in perl without sorting.

Hi, I have an hashes of hash, where hash is dynamic, it can be n number of hash. i need to compare data_count values of all . my %result ( $abc => { 'data_count' => '10', 'ID' => 'ABC122', } $def => { 'data_count' => '20', 'ID' => 'defASe', ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically parse BibTeX and create hash of hash

Hello gurus, Iam trying to parse following BibTex file (bibliography.bib): @book{Lee2000a, abstract = {Abstract goes here}, author = {Lee, Wenke and Stolfo, Salvatore J}, title = {{Data mining approaches for intrusion detection}}, year = {2000} } @article{Forrest1996, abstract =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print hash of hash in table format

Hi, I have a hash of hash where it has name, activities and count i have data like this - $result->{$name}->{$activities} = $value; content of that are - name - robert tom cat peter activities - running, eating, sleeping , drinking, work i need to print output as below ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
3 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 							FSF							   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB on your drive SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION] install_device DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. -h, --help print this message and exit -v, --version print the version information and exit --root-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR instead of the root directory --grub-shell=FILE use FILE as the grub shell --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --force-lba force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy BIOS --recheck probe a device map even if it already exists INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied by --root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the boot sector. The grub source distribution carries this script to ease the installation of grub as a boot loader. In Suse Linux however, grub installa- tion is much better handled by Yast; use of this script is generally discouraged and therefore unsupported. Consequently, the script has been renamed to grub-install.unsupported. In order to (re-)install grub for the currently running system, simply use Yast. For an installation aiming at a differing system, the crafting of an appropriate device.map and grub shell script is strongly advised, e.g. "grub --batch --device-map=target-device.map < tar- get-grub.conf" SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97) May 2005 GRUB-INSTALL(8)