Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command to check the CPU usage for particular user Post 302470048 by michaelrozar17 on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 04:48:15 AM
Old 11-09-2010
Command top lets you know of the useful information such as total memory, memory in use, % of total memory used by each process, % cpu usage of each process, and process ID (PID) of each process. Some of the options to it
Code:
top -u <user_name>
top -p <pid>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to determine cpu&memory percentage usage per user

Using HP-UX v11 Need to monitor cpu and memory usage, total for system and separately for each user in command-line mode. Found out next ways to monitor total cpu usage under hp-ux: 1) vmstat, also shows free memory 2) sar -M ps -eo user,pcpu - does not work, means 'user-defined format'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hp-ux-user
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to summary one command's cpu usage?

I want to record one application's(like oracle etc...) CPU usage summary. I can filter by "ps". But how to sum? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiarong.lu
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check cpu usage

Hi, Are there previous threads on perl scripts that check the cpu usage and send email whenever this exceeded a certain threshold? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gholdbhurg
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How check the overall CPU usage of the unix server

Hi All, Can anyone help me.. I want to know the command to check the overall CPU usage of the server. Note: I don't want the CPU usge of each and every process. I just want to know thw aggregate CPU utilization of the server. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selva_Kumar
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

CPU usage per user

Hello everybody, How can we proceed to measure the CPU used par a user on unix HPUX ? there some commands or tools ? Thank you in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlaiti
4 Replies

7. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is total CPU usage for sar %user+%system+%iowait?

Hi all Can anyone advise/confirm whether total CPU usage when running sar is %user+%system+%iowait or is it %user+%system only? I want to confirm whether I am having a CPU-bound problem or not. This is a single-CPU VMware machine. $ sar 5 20 Linux 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

9. Solaris

How can i restrict user high cpu usage?

HI In my M5000 , one of domain is having SAp installed. from today onwards we are facing some stange issue. when we start SAP application, that particular user is taking 95 % of system CP and renaming 5 % is taken by system . because of this reason application is slow. i have 4 CPU(32... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
4 Replies

10. Linux

Ps command on cpu usage and time

Hi All, Am very new to Linux and unix ...need below help . need to list of process consuming more than 40% cpu and which are older than 10 days of a particular user .... Thanks V (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky456
4 Replies
FREE(1) 							Linux User's Manual							   FREE(1)

NAME
free - display information about free and used memory on the system SYNOPSIS
free [-b|-k|-m|-g] [-l] [-o] [-t] [-s delay ] [-c count ] DESCRIPTION
free(1) displays the total amount of free and used physical memory and swap space in the system, as well as the buffers and cache consumed by the kernel. OPTIONS
Normal invocation of free(1) does not require any options. The output, however, can be fine-tuned by specifying one or more of the follow- ing flags: -b, --bytes Display output in bytes. -k, --kb Display output in kilobytes (KB). This is the default. -m, --mb Display output in megabytes (MB). -g, --gb Display output in gigabytes (GB). -l, --lowhigh Display detailed information about low vs. high memory usage. -o, --old Use old format. Specifically, do not display -/+ buffers/cache. -t, --total Display total summary for physical memory + swap space. -c n, --count=n Display statistics n times, then exit. Used in conjunction with the -s flag. Default is to display only once, unless -s was speci- fied, in which case default is to repeat until interrupted. -s n, --repeat=n Repeat, pausing every n seconds in-between. -V, --version Display version information and exit. --help Display usage information and exit FILES
/proc/meminfo -- memory information SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), vmstat(1) AUTHORS
Written by Robert Love. The procps package is maintained by Rik van Riel and Robert Love and was created by Michael Johnson. Send bug reports to <procps-list@redhat.com>. Linux 18 Nov 2002 FREE(1)