Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Arrays in Shell Scripts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Arrays in Shell Scripts Post 302469995 by jsmithstl on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 12:22:04 AM
Old 11-09-2010
Try this:
Code:
cat tarray.ksh
#!/bin/ksh

set -A A_VAL one two three four five six seven eight nine ten

i=0

while [ -n "${A_VAL[$i]}" ]
do
   echo "${A_VAL[$i]}"
   (( i = i + 1 ))
done

results:
Code:
./tarray.ksh  
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten

---------- Post updated at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:07 PM ----------

I apologize. I didn't read your whole post... must be late...

Try this
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

set -A A_FILE file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 file6 file7 file8 file9 file10

i=0

while [ -n "${A_FILE[$i]}" ]
do
   sftp -o IdentityFile=${KEYFILE} ${FTPUSER}@${FTPSERVER} <<-EOF
      put ${A_FILE[$i]}
      quit
   #
   # The EOF must be TABbed over.  It can not be spaces.
   # 
   EOF
   (( i = i + 1 ))
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell and Arrays

Hi everyone, first post here so please be gentle :-) I normally likle to script in Bourne Shell simply for guarenteed compatibility across any system I might run across but this latest problem has me stumped. Arrays is a rather significant construct missing from sh and after finding a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unbeliever
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use arrays in c shell

hi :) i need help to explain arrays 2D in c shell like this in c++ int a (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hgphsf
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell / awk arrays

I have a bash shell script that sources a data file, the data file has array values such as: #--data file ---# sg_name="db1" sg_size="12892" sg_allow="50000" sg_name="db2" sg_size="12892" sg_allow="50000" export sg_name sg_size sg_allow #--end data file --# In my shell script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lochraven
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing arrays in shell scripts

Hi All, I have an array in my script. For example, array=(file1.xml,file1-summary.xml,file2.xml,file2-summary.xml,file3.xml,file3-summary.xml); I am accessing the elements of the array by using the following code. len=${#array }; while ; do echo "${array}" done I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ananddr
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell arrays

how do you declare an array in the C shell and loop through each element? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help with arrays in C Shell

Hi guys could you please post links that explain how to use and manipulate arrays in c shell (.csh files) ? examples are useful too :rolleyes: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: domain
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

arrays in C shell

hi guys, i have the following code in C shell.. set i=0 while ($i < 11) master_array=${ARRAY} i++ done it gives me error at line 3: Variable syntax. what is wrong here? any help is appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arrays in shell

I have three arrays. One is Master array and that has list of other array in config file. for e.g (for simplicity I have only defined array with 2 elements each) set +A MASTERARRAY SQLUPDATE_ONETIME SQLUPDATE_DAILY END_OF_ARRAY set +A SQLUPDATE_ONETIME update12 update22 END_OF_ARRAY... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anish
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell arrays need help

Ok so spaces separate elements. What if you wanted an element to have a space in it? For instance: nums="one two three and a half" where "three and a half" is THE SAME element? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevenswj
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in creating arrays using shell

Hi, I need help in creating a array in shell scirpt. I have a file which has following details. hostname devices device1 device 2 de abcdmhs10 1234 2343 2353 3343 3435 2343 bcdfmhs11 2343 2443 3434 8874 0343 3434 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpkumar10
5 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)