Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Display lines 30 to 40 of a text file using head and/or tail commands Post 302469252 by Scrutinizer on Friday 5th of November 2010 06:56:24 AM
Old 11-05-2010
Code:
sed -n 30,40p file

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Implementing MORE,HEAD & TAIL

hai in my shell script i want to replace the following commands 1) more 2) head 3) tail i want to try all type of possible options avaliabul in the above commands please help in implementing those commands (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_s_r_c
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

head & tail

I've a major file which includes other files and now I wanna 'cut' the file in several minor parts....like .... find / -name "*.tmp" >filea wc -l filea >fileb sed -e '1s/ filea//' fileb >filec AMOUNT=`cat filec` if ; then cat file a |head -100l (ell) |tail -100l >filec cat file a |head... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: svennie
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Head and Tail in One Line

I am new to UNIX......I have one file which contains thousnads of records with header and tailer. Header Record 1 Record 2 .... .... Last Record Trailer I want to concatenate Header and Trailer in the first line....now the output should look like this: Header: Header value, Trailer:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 33junaid
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Drop common lines at head/tail of a large set of files

Hi! I have a large set of pairs of text files (each pair in their own subdirectory) and each pair shares head/tail (a couple of first and last lines) but differs in the middle part. I need to delete the heads/tails and keep only the middle portions in which they differ. The lengths of heads/tails... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dobryden
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Imitate head and tail command script

Hi, I have been given assignment of 30 scripts out of which I was able to solve many, I need help with few out of which one asks to imitate head and tail command of unix without using the head and tail commands. Problem is stated below: Write an interactive shell script to imitate the head... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nutalk
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

head / tail combination returns multiple rows

Hi, As part of our project, we need to load historical data for a year before our system is live. We have the data feed files that we need to load. However, I need to make sure that the file structure (number of fields separated by a comma) on the field is same for all the files of the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raj.jha
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

head\tail how to display middle lines

hay i need to display middle line: 1 2 3 4 5 how can i display 3-4? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: margan_ron
6 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Head Tail Problem

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: view the 7th line of the program xxx.sh 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: head command tail... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbell221
10 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to display certain line of file only using head or tail in 1 command?

First month learning about the Linux terminal and it has been a challenge yet fun so far. We're learning by using a gameshell. I'm trying to display a certain line ( only allowed 1 command ) from a file only using the head or tail. I'm pretty about this answer: head -23 history.txt | tail -1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forzatekk
1 Replies
head(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   head(1)

NAME
head - give first few lines SYNOPSIS
count] [file ...] Obsolescent: [file ...] DESCRIPTION
prints on standard output the first count lines of each of the specified files, or of the standard input. If count is omitted it defaults to 10. If multiple files are specified, outputs before each file a line of this form: file Options The quantity of output is measured in bytes. The number of units of output. This option is provided for backward compatibility (see below) and is mutually exclusive of all other options. The quantity of output is measured in lines; this is the default. The number of lines (default) or bytes output. count is an unsigned decimal integer. If (or is not given, the default quantity is 10. This option provides the same func- tionality as the option, but in a more standard way. Use of the option is recommended where portability between systems is important. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of text within file as single and/or multi-byte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
The length of the input lines is limited to bytes. SEE ALSO
tail(1), cat(1), more(1), pg(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
head(1)