Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sizing p7 systems
Operating Systems AIX Sizing p7 systems Post 302469242 by ross.mather on Friday 5th of November 2010 05:59:10 AM
Old 11-05-2010
The standard for doing this work is to compare the rPerf number in the link that zxmaus gave you. This is an IBM standard where a p640 has a value of 1. This is an analytical model of commercial workloads rather than fancy benchmarks so has good application in the field.

Note that it doesn't look at I/O (Network and disk). Also your IBM representative (or BP) should be able to provide you with assistance that your strategy for consolidation is correct.

Don't forget memory overheads for LPARS, VIO etc etc.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Gentoo

Properly Sizing an x86 Server for Internet DNS?

Where I work, we have to very old Alpha boxes running OpenVMS 7. They also have Multinet and are using the BIND component for DNS services. We are planning on retiring those boxes and replacing them with x86 servers running Linux. I've decided to go with Gentoo Linux for this and I've inherited... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

2. AIX

Sizing Mouse Pointer

On AIX machines 4.3, 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 am having trouble seeing the mouse pointer in CDE. Found this on web To change the cursor to a large red X, run the following command . #xsetroot -cursor_name X-cursor -bg red Could someone kindly give me the command line wording to undo the above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: farl
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kinda a noob: Automatic window sizing and placement

I am attempting to create a script that runs automatically upon logging in and opens and places windows in appropriate places. I have the script running such that it starts during login, but I cannot get things how and where I want them. This should be relatively simple, I just can't figure it out... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wydileie
7 Replies

4. Linux

System sizing for X sessions

Hello all. I've been tasked with building a system that will have up to 50 concurrent users connected and using an X session running firefox. Is there some kind of standard sizing model available that will tell me what kind of network/CPU utilization I will be looking at? Or even better some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZekesGarage
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Sun hardware sizing

Hi, Never worked with Sun, but I have been presented to make a decision about Sun server hardware, since the application which we'll be running is not so popular and you guys might not have idea, for reference I can tell you our competitor is running same application (business volume 10 times... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

From Systems Admin to Systems Eng.

I have been wondering how do Systems Administrators do the jump into Systems Engineering? Is it only a matter of time and experience or could I actually help myself get there? Opinions? Books I could read? Thanks a lot for your help! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: svalenciatech
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using symbolic link for database MySQL in CentOS, not update sizing

I have no idea what I should set the topic here ==' This is my story, please you there kindly help me I'm quite newbie for this. ================================== My host server is CentOS, I spared 9.9GB for /var path that used by MySQL and...It's full because of heavy load traffic, then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kapom
1 Replies
euctoibmj(1)							   User Commands						      euctoibmj(1)

NAME
euctoibmj, ibmjtoeuc - Code conversion between Japanese EUC and IBM-Japanese SYNOPSIS
euctoibmj [-t] [-u code] [-U] [filename...] ibmjtoeuc [-u code] [-U] [filename...] AVAILABILITY
SUNWjfpu DESCRIPTION
euctoibmj converts the contents of the specified filenames from ASCII/ Japanese EUC to EBCDIC/IBM-Japanese. ibmjtoeuc converts the con- tents of the specified filenames from EBCDIC/IBM-Japanese to ASCII/ Japanese EUC. The both commands write the resultant code to stdout. If filename is not given, input characters are read from the standard input. For Japanese language handling, the euctoibmj/ibmjtoeucj pair of commands provide conversion only between the two code standards. Code con- version among Japanese EUC, JIS, and PC kanji are supported by another set of commands, jistoeuc(1) family or iconv(1). OPTIONS
-u code With this option specified, characters in one code set that do not have corresponding characters in the other are mapped to the code given in four-digit hexadecimal HOST CODE of IBM Japanese (for euctoibmj) or in four-digit JIS Ku-Ten code (for ibmjtoeuc). Without this option, such characters are mapped to HOST CODE 4040 (for euctoibmj) or JIS Ku-Ten code 0101 (for ibmjtoeuc). -U The output is not buffered (The default is buffered output). -t With this option specified, euctoibmj translates Half-Size Katakana (Code Set 2) in Japanese EUC to the corresponding characters in Code Set 1 prior to conversion. Without this option, Code Set 2 characters in Japanese EUC are processed to the illegal charac- ter. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The environment variables LC_CTYPE and LANG control the character classification throughout these commands. For euctoibmj and ibmjtoeuc to work correctly, one or both of the environment variables must be set to ja or an equivalent locale. On entry to these commands, these envi- ronment variables are checked in the following order: LC_CTYPE and LANG. When a valid value is found, remaining environment variables for character classification are ignored. FILES
/usr/lib/jcodetables/ibmj-euc Code conversion table for IBM Japanese. SEE ALSO
iconv(1), jistoeuc(1), iconv_ja(5) DIAGNOSTICS
unexpected data encountered in input. Illegal character code is found in input file. BUGS
The ASCII/EBCDIC conversion table are taken from the 256 character standard in the CACM Nov, 1968. The conversion, while less blessed as a standard, corresponds better to certain IBM print train convertions. There is no universal solution. The Japanese EUC/IBM Japanese conversion table is based on the IBM Kanji codebook (4th edition - September 1987), JIS X 0201, and JIS X 0208-1983. If JIS X 0212 caracter set is specified as input, euctoibmj can not support the conversion correctly. SunOS 5.10 10 Jan 2003 euctoibmj(1)