Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Vim external command output to new buffer Post 302469112 by konfushus on Thursday 4th of November 2010 06:54:53 PM
Old 11-04-2010
Vim external command output to new buffer

Hi,

From inside Vim, I'm looking for a way to use the contents of the current buffer, pass it to an external executable, and then return the output from the executable into a new Vim buffer.

I know that I can do something like %!<executable>, but that will overwrite the contents of the current buffer.

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

buffer the output

Hai Friends I am writing a cgi program in C. The CGI program has a link to start my tcp chat server... The tcp chat server prints some information when it starts... I have captured the informations and sent to the client browser through the cgi program... But the output is displayed all... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: collins
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the output to a buffer/clipboard ?

Hi, I was wondering if there is a way by which I can redirect the output of a command to the buffer so that if I do a Ctrl+v or Alt+v it should paste the data. Ex : cat myfile.txt | grep hello . Hello there 1 Hello there 2 The output of the file should go to the buffer(clipboard info) so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vim: Warning: Output is not to a terminal

I'm using Debian, connected via SSH using Putty, and trying to run the command: dpkg --configure -ato run a package that didn't complete due to my having to disconnect while it was running. It gives this message: dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of php5-dev: php5-dev... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stulancs
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy tail output to an external file in perl

The below code works to tail client.log file. but I want to copy the output into an external file /home/tail.txt Can anyone please help. #!/opt/bin/perl -w open my $pipe, "-|", "/usr/bin/tail", "/var/log/client.log" or die "could not start tail on /var/log/client.log : $!"; print while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to invoke external program and capture its output

Hi all, I am using an external binary to view memory starting from a specific address and i want to automate this via PERL however there are problems. Hope you can help me ..thx The output of the programme is like below: bash-3.2$ mem_disp 12B21D20 100 Opening RO Data Memory File scp.ro... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekckabatop
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

vim command for a search

how can i search each line for ROCT and ROCT1.ROCT1 will be always 1 line after ROCT. Both the patterns will be found at the end of the line (in alternate lines) <pattern file> (rising edge-triggered flip-flop clocked by ROCT) Endpoint:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Jumbled output in expect_out(buffer)

I have a code like this : set ipv6_acl_max_chars test_acl_max_chars123456a789%s%d2345678ww134rt789qa23456789012345%c89012%a56789012x4r67890test_acl_max_chars1234567890.01234aabcdob34567aBC0 spawn telnet $myip expect "Login:" { send "admin\r" } expect "Password:" {send "admin\r" }... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ylucki
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect output to memory instead of an external file

I use the following as an example. I find myself always doing this and I believe my scripts would run much faster if I put the sed results into a place in memory rather than writing to files. Again, its not about sed, its about redirecting to a place in memory rather than an external file. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi / vim - Insert a external command response

I would like to execute and external command and insert it into a particular area of the file I am editing. Note that I have the ORIGINAL AT&T vi training doc dated 1987. Doesnt explain it. As an example, in a vi editor I have I would like the result : After executing the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies
VIMTUTOR(1)						      General Commands Manual						       VIMTUTOR(1)

NAME
vimtutor - the Vim tutor SYNOPSIS
vimtutor [-g] [language] DESCRIPTION
Vimtutor starts the Vim tutor. It copies the tutor file first, so that it can be modified without changing the original file. The Vimtutor is useful for people that want to learn their first Vim commands. The optional argument -g starts vimtutor with gvim rather than vim, if the GUI version of vim is available, or falls back to Vim if gvim is not found. The optional [language] argument is the two-letter name of a language, like "it" or "es". If the [language] argument is missing, the lan- guage of the current locale will be used. If a tutor in this language is available, it will be used. Otherwise the English version will be used. Vim is always started in Vi compatible mode. FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor[.language] The Vimtutor text file(s). /usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor.vim The Vim script used to copy the Vimtutor text file. AUTHOR
The Vimtutor was originally written for Vi by Michael C. Pierce and Robert K. Ware, Colorado School of Mines using ideas supplied by Charles Smith, Colorado State University. E-mail: bware@mines.colorado.edu. It was modified for Vim by Bram Moolenaar. For the names of the translators see the tutor files. SEE ALSO
vim(1) 2001 April 2 VIMTUTOR(1)