Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find single quote in a string and replace it Post 302468800 by jsmithstl on Wednesday 3rd of November 2010 09:05:39 PM
Old 11-03-2010
Can you post your entire script and what shell you are using?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace part of single string in a file

hi! i have a file consisting of the following lines: (BTW, = space) . . . 12ME_T1mapping_flip30bshortf 13DCE_whole_brainbshortf 13DCE_3Dbshortf . . . the list of scans starts at 1 and goes on sometimes up to 60 scans. i would like to change only the lines that contain 'whole' to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixjennings
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in grep to match all lines ending with a double quote (") OR a single quote (')

Hi, I've been trying to write a regex to use in egrep (in a shell script) that'll fetch the names of all the files that match a particular pattern. I expect to match the following line in a file: Name = "abc" The regex I'm using to match the same is: egrep -l '(^) *= *" ** *"$' /PATH_TO_SEARCH... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NanJ
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string in quote to uppercase

Hi, I need to find all strings in single quote and change the case of the string to UPPER. Example: Input: xyz abc ccc 'zxxx7U' dfsdf sdfdd aaa 'oR77' and 'or88' Output: xyz abc ccc 'ZXXX7U' dfsdf sdfdd aaa 'OR77' and 'OR88' Appreciate your help!! Thanks Selva (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: selkum
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a single quote using sed command.

Hi, How do I replace the charachters = '*' to = '^' using Sed commands. As I have several * in the script, thus I have to replace the single quotes too. Please let me know any solution. I have tried the escape character backslash '\' but it doesnt help. sed "s/= \'*\'/=... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prachifun
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace single quote with two single quotes in perl

Hi I want to replace single quote with two single quotes in a perl string. If the string is <It's Simpson's book> It should become <It''s Simpson''s book> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DushyantG
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple strings and replace single string

Hi, following Perl code i used for finding multiple strings and replace with single string. code: #!/usr/bin/perl my @files = <*.txt>; foreach $fileName (@files) { print "$fileName\n"; my $searchStr = ',rdata\)' | ',,rdata\)' | ', ,rdata\)'; my $replaceStr =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chettyravi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace double quotes with a single quote within a double quoted string

Hi Froum. I have tried in vain to find a solution for this problem - I'm trying to replace any double quotes within a quoted string with a single quote, leaving everything else as is. I have the following data: Before: ... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
32 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but the first and last double quote in a line with a single quote with awk

From: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This, is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ""test""" 4,7,3,1,8,"""" To: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This; is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ''test''" 4,7,3,1,8,"''"Is there an easy syntax I'm overlooking? There will always be an odd number... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Enclose String in single quote

I have a comma separated file which contains data like; File header: ID_WVR,SAK_WVR_SVC,DSC_WVR_WVC,SAK_PROCEDURE,CODES,CDE_PROC_MOD ,CDE_PROC_MOD_2 ,CDE_PROC_MOD_3 File Detail: AMR,5100,Total Services,305,D0120,,, AMR,5101,Periodic Services,40702,H2011,U1,, AMR,5112,Day... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to split string on single quote as delimiter

I have a variable that contains the following string: FPATH=-rw-rw-r-- 1 user1 dba 0 Aug 7 13:14 /app/F11.3/app/cust/exe/filename1.exe' -rw-rw-r-- 1 user1 dba 0 Aug 19 10:09 /app/app/F11.3/app/cust/sql/33211.sql' -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 dba 0 Aug 6 17:20 /app/F11.2/app/01/mrt/file1.mrt' I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies
XARGS(1L)																 XARGS(1L)

NAME
xargs - build and execute command lines from standard input SYNOPSIS
xargs [-0prtx] [-e[eof-str]] [-i[replace-str]] [-l[max-lines]] [-n max-args] [-s max-chars] [-P max-procs] [--null] [--eof[=eof-str]] [--replace[=replace-str]] [--max-lines[=max-lines]] [--interactive] [--max-chars=max-chars] [--verbose] [--exit] [--max-procs=max-procs] [--max-args=max-args] [--no-run-if-empty] [--version] [--help] [command [initial-arguments]] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of xargs. xargs reads arguments from the standard input, delimited by blanks (which can be pro- tected with double or single quotes or a backslash) or newlines, and executes the command (default is /bin/echo) one or more times with any initial-arguments followed by arguments read from standard input. Blank lines on the standard input are ignored. xargs exits with the following status: 0 if it succeeds 123 if any invocation of the command exited with status 1-125 124 if the command exited with status 255 125 if the command is killed by a signal 126 if the command cannot be run 127 if the command is not found 1 if some other error occurred. OPTIONS --null, -0 Input filenames are terminated by a null character instead of by whitespace, and the quotes and backslash are not special (every character is taken literally). Disables the end of file string, which is treated like any other argument. Useful when arguments might contain white space, quote marks, or backslashes. The GNU find -print0 option produces input suitable for this mode. --eof[=eof-str], -e[eof-str] Set the end of file string to eof-str. If the end of file string occurs as a line of input, the rest of the input is ignored. If eof-str is omitted, there is no end of file string. If this option is not given, the end of file string defaults to "_". --help Print a summary of the options to xargs and exit. --replace[=replace-str], -i[replace-str] Replace occurences of replace-str in the initial arguments with names read from standard input. Also, unquoted blanks do not termi- nate arguments. If replace-str is omitted, it defaults to "{}" (like for `find -exec'). Implies -x and -l 1. --max-lines[=max-lines], -l[max-lines] Use at most max-lines nonblank input lines per command line; max-lines defaults to 1 if omitted. Trailing blanks cause an input line to be logically continued on the next input line. Implies -x. --max-args=max-args, -n max-args Use at most max-args arguments per command line. Fewer than max-args arguments will be used if the size (see the -s option) is exceeded, unless the -x option is given, in which case xargs will exit. --interactive, -p Prompt the user about whether to run each command line and read a line from the terminal. Only run the command line if the response starts with `y' or `Y'. Implies -t. --no-run-if-empty, -r If the standard input does not contain any nonblanks, do not run the command. Normally, the command is run once even if there is no input. --max-chars=max-chars, -s max-chars Use at most max-chars characters per command line, including the command and initial arguments and the terminating nulls at the ends of the argument strings. The default is as large as possible, up to 20k characters. --verbose, -t Print the command line on the standard error output before executing it. --version Print the version number of xargs and exit. --exit, -x Exit if the size (see the -s option) is exceeded. --max-procs=max-procs, -P max-procs Run up to max-procs processes at a time; the default is 1. If max-procs is 0, xargs will run as many processes as possible at a time. Use the -n option with -P; otherwise chances are that only one exec will be done. SEE ALSO
find(1L), locate(1L), locatedb(5L), updatedb(1) Finding Files (on-line in Info, or printed) XARGS(1L)