Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions gVim on windows 7 64 constantly overwrites symbolic and even hard links Post 302468738 by DGPickett on Wednesday 3rd of November 2010 04:49:16 PM
Old 11-03-2010
Suppose /x/y is a link to /z, then /x/y/. is /z/. is /z

I use this in 'find' in place of '-follow' if only the first dir is a link and I don't want 'find' wandering down other links.

Notation /x/y/ is another way, less intrusive, to tell an app to look for a directory there. Sometimes you end up with /x/y/./.... or /x/y//.... for your trouble! Smilie

It may be they used lstat() where they should have used stat(), or something so trivial, or else the libs under them are flawed for the odd linking of a windows system. In UNIX a real hard link cannot be a directory, so it if is a file, then overwriting is appropriate, but I guess in WinDos they are a lot less hard.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

links: (soft, hard? symbolic??) inode

Hi, what is link? and soft link? how about hard one and symbolic link. and inode. i get confuse about this links. could anyone help me with full explainsion? thks Gusla (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
5 Replies

2. Programming

Ignoring symbolic/hard links while scanning through a directory

Hi, I am writing a unix system utility that is supposed to scan through a directory, collecting information about the files and subdirectories. That part is going well. The tricky part is that some files in the directory are hard links or symbolic links. I am supposed to IGNORE these links.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yifan_Guo
4 Replies

3. SCO

SCO 5.05 hard drive pulsing constantly

Just recently my hard drive has started to pulse like data is being read or written constantly. Causes? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimser
2 Replies

4. AIX

Symbolic Links

I am linking a directory as follows: ln -sf /home/xxx/userid/real_files/* /home/xxx/userid/linked_files This gives me symbolic links for all the files in the real_files directory in the linked_files directory. My question is, if I go and remove a file in the real_files directory and then go... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcarnesiii
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Links

Hi all, I have scoured the entire forum for this but to no avail unfortunately. Basically, I would like to remove my symbolic link from my folder name i.e. foldername -> /a/b/c/d/f where f is indeed a folder. I have tried rmdir but this does not work and in actual fact deletes the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissioning for symbolic links

I've just started using UNIX in a Linux vmplayer. I'm trying to run the command: ln -s `pwd`/$1 `python -c "from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib()"`/$1 in a script from an online tutorial, but I keep getting an error message: ln: creating symbolic link... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChipT
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting Symbolic and/or Hard links

From what I understand a symbolic link is alot like a shortcut where it points to another file. if the original file is deleted the symbolic link is rendered useless but a symbolic link can be deleted without any problem. A hard link is like a copy of the file itself but pointing to the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Hard Links and Soft or Sym links

When loooking at files in a directory using ls, how can I tell if I have a hard link or soft link? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
11 Replies

9. AIX

List all the soft links and hard links

Hi I'm logged in as root in an aix box Which command will list all the soft links and hard links present in the server ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Symbolic links

Soft link,Hard link brief explanation (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAJU KAVATI
1 Replies
symlink(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							symlink(4)

NAME
symlink - symbolic link DESCRIPTION
A symbolic (or soft ) link is a file whose name indirectly refers (points) to a relative or absolute path name. During path name interpretation, a symbolic link to a relative path name is expanded to the path name being interpreted, and a symbolic link to an absolute path name is replaced with the path name being interpreted. Thus, given the path name If is a symbolic link to a relative path name such as the path name is interpreted as If is a symbolic link to an absolute path name such as the path name is interpreted as All symbolic links are interpreted in this manner, with one exception: when the symbolic link is the last component of a path name, it is passed as a parameter to one of the system calls: or (see readlink(2), rename(2), symlink(2), unlink(2), chown(2) and lstat(2)). With these calls, the symbolic link, itself, is accessed or affected. Unlike normal (hard) links, a symbolic link can refer to any arbitrary path name and can span different logical devices (volumes). The path name can be that of any type of file (including a directory or another symbolic link), and may be invalid if no such path exists in the system. (It is possible to make symbolic links point to themselves or other symbolic links in such a way that they form a closed loop. The system detects this situation by limiting the number of symbolic links it traverses while translating a path name.) The mode and ownership of a symbolic link is ignored by the system, which means that affects the actual file, but not the file containing the symbolic link (see chmod(1)). Symbolic links can be created using or (see ln(1) and symlink(2)). AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
cp(1), symlink(2), readlink(2), link(2), stat(2), mknod(1M). symlink(4)